Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gripes about the Beta interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was talking about the "middle row" back seats, yes. But Jeeps17 separately is concerned about ventilation (and other amenities) for the rear-facing seats.

My comment was indeed relevant to the rear-facing seats, and only addressed ventilation. I understand that rear-facing seats will not be used by all S purchasers, and that other amenities will not make it in V1.0 (if ever).

I do however agree that the middle-row passengers seem to have been "forgotten" (aside from climate controls / ventilation) - the storage issue IMHO is more concerning than for the front occupants. I plan on using the S to haul the family around (wife + 4 kids), I can already think of issues with where to put water bottles. We use capped valved ones when on the road to avoid spills, but they still have to be reachable by the users.

Thankfully the kid's booster seats have cupholders, but they will outgrow those faster than I want to admit it...

W.Petefish said:
Guys, Can we please keep the complaints in the complaints thread?

Are you being sarcastic? :confused: This has been a pretty reasonable discussion as far as I am concerned, and concerns every model S owner who will have rear passengers for more than short trips.

No issues with having topic moved to another thread if indicated.

Last edited:
Are you being sarcastic? :confused: This has been a pretty reasonable discussion as far as I am concerned, and concerns every model S owner who will have rear passengers for more than short trips.

I agree that the thread has drifted pretty far off-topic, but since I also plan to get the rear-facing seats I share the concern that was raised (and I agree that the discussion has been reasonable). Perhaps a mod can assist with making the side-track a separate thread "Ventilation for rear-facing kids" or something?

It was reasonable, but it was off topic.
Please keep discussions in the correct threads (or make a new one if one doesn't exist), instead of relying on a mod to clean up after you. We're here to help, but we appreciate when members post responsibly.

I agree that the thread has drifted pretty far off-topic, but since I also plan to get the rear-facing seats I share the concern that was raised (and I agree that the discussion has been reasonable). Perhaps a mod can assist with making the side-track a separate thread "Ventilation for rear-facing kids" or something?
The "ventilation for rear-facing seats" topic is a bit too convoluted with the other issues. Feel free to start a new thread specifically on that topic. :smile:

I'm sure "fishnet pockets" behind the front seats will eventually make it there. We just haven't seen them on the betas thus far.

While at the opening of the Tesla store in Oslo I asked George B. about storage for the back seat passengers. His answer was that there would be no pockets - none on the back of the front seats, nor any on the inside of the doors. Not even cup holders... This is a serious problem in my opinion. I also find the ability to split the back into 40/60 to be less optimal - a 40/20/40 split is more useful as you would be able to lay down the center piece only to transport items like skis without having to use a roof rack.

There is however something up Teslas sleeve here - he said that they want people to customize their cars - so spaces like the missing center console up front and maybe also a center piece on the floor of the back seat - will be filled with various inserts. I guess Tesla is hoping for 3rd parties to offer various solutions here - in addition to probably a few offered by Tesla itself. We joked about a fridge insert which he dubbed the "sushi car" - but I think it was not just all joke - someone might eventually offer a center console insert with a built in fridge.

So GG - you might not get fishnets behind the front seats - but you might be able to stuff your fish into the center console fridge... :wink:

While at the opening of the Tesla store in Oslo I asked George B. about storage for the back seat passengers. His answer was that there would be no pockets - none on the back of the front seats, nor any on the inside of the doors. Not even cup holders... This is a serious problem in my opinion.

No kidding!

How someone like Elon Musk, who has young kids and is marketing the S as a no-compromise 7 passenger vehicle, could omit basic passenger amenities like this (not partially, but completely!) is beyond me...

Yeah, i'd be a shame to have to screw these things to the doors:

Screen shot 2012-04-12 at 2.56.23 PM.png

I'm surprised that their solution is to leave it to the customer to provide basic items provided by nearly every other vehicle for the past 20 years. Okay, maybe Yugo skipped out on rear seat cup holders. Even the Germans, who despise cup holders, don't skip out on these or some kind of storage. Get ready for cluttered, sticky back seats!

While at the opening of the Tesla store in Oslo I asked George B. about storage for the back seat passengers. His answer was that there would be no pockets - none on the back of the front seats, nor any on the inside of the doors. Not even cup holders..

George B, if you're listening: This is wrong. This is simply an error.

I'm emailing Tesla now.

Everyone will have to modify their seats. Everyone. This means, why bother getting the expensive interiors? You have to go to a custom shop anyway.

This might be a deal-breaker even for me. This is absurd. No car company is this bad at interior design, except perhaps Tesla...

@neroden: I considered a similar post but thought, "nah, really? Would the total lack of back-seat amenities really cause me to not sign up for the Model S?" My initial reaction was, no. But the more I think about it, the more I agree with you -- this would be a very serious flaw that would sharply reduce the ability of the Model S to be a useful vehicle for my family.

Hate to stick something this ugly in a nice leather car, but it's an option:
console.jpg

I would only stick it in the car for family road trips. Otherwise it would live in the garage.

I first plan to stop by Al & Eds in No Hollywood once I have the car to see what they could come up as a more permanent and elegant solution and for how much.

But yes, its a surprising and frustrating omission. Especially after all the "how many cup holders" questions that were raised early on. But it won't make me hesitate to buy the car for one second. This is part of being an early adopter.

Last edited:
@neroden: I considered a similar post but thought, "nah, really? Would the total lack of back-seat amenities really cause me to not sign up for the Model S?" My initial reaction was, no. But the more I think about it, the more I agree with you -- this would be a very serious flaw that would sharply reduce the ability of the Model S to be a useful vehicle for my family.

Elon went out of his way to fit his family, it seems so odd they'd omit backseat creature comforts. Shame there isn't even a pull down cupholder in the center armrest

Elon went out of his way to fit his family, it seems so odd they'd omit backseat creature comforts. Shame there isn't even a pull down cupholder in the center armrest

the only thing that makes sense is these "modular" accessories could prove to be a lucrative profit center for Tesla, even though they are normally included with like priced cars (or for that matter any modern car).

the only thing that makes sense is these "modular" accessories could prove to be a lucrative profit center for Tesla, even though they are normally included with like priced cars (or for that matter any modern car).

But that's for the front right? Has something been announced for the back? I don't plan to have many people back there often, but when you tout seating for "7" then you'd think things like these would be considered.

*shrug*

But that's for the front right? Has something been announced for the back? I don't plan to have many people back there often, but when you tout seating for "7" then you'd think things like these would be considered.

My point exactly.

I may not be in the majority of S buyers, but I plan on moving 6 people (2 adults, 4 young kids) in this car fairly regularly, on road trips in the 2-hour range.

That means a lot of loose items in the car, with no place to put them within easy reach of short arms...

Are we there yet ?

:scared:

This might force me to wait for the X... I'll hope for the best until the RC cars come out, and plan to e-mail Tesla about this (amongst other concerns).

Last edited:
There is however something up Teslas sleeve here - he said that they want people to customize their cars - so spaces like the missing center console up front and maybe also a center piece on the floor of the back seat - will be filled with various inserts. I guess Tesla is hoping for 3rd parties to offer various solutions here - in addition to probably a few offered by Tesla itself. We joked about a fridge insert which he dubbed the "sushi car" - but I think it was not just all joke - someone might eventually offer a center console insert with a built in fridge.

There was another report from GeorgeB, a few weeks ago, saying (or suggesting) that Tesla itself is working on retrofittable addition(s) (for the open space) and/or replacement(s) for the center console. Or so.

I just went out and had a look at the back seat of my 2011 BMW 335d... It has zero storage. Nothing on the seatbacks, nothing on the doors. So the lack of storage in the backseat definitely isn't unique to the Model S.

I happen to like it this way. :) Less places for garbage and gives a really simple and clean looking design.

Missing cupholders isn't a huge issue for me since my kids are still in boosters seats etc. which have cupholders built in. I guess 8+ years from now I may have to figure out something. Although by then they're less likely to need a drink while riding around in the car.

my 2 cents...

George B, if you're listening: This is wrong. This is simply an error.

I'm emailing Tesla now.

Everyone will have to modify their seats. Everyone. This means, why bother getting the expensive interiors? You have to go to a custom shop anyway.

This might be a deal-breaker even for me. This is absurd. No car company is this bad at interior design, except perhaps Tesla...