Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greetings from Hungary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the delay; I forgot to subscribe to my own thread.

I absolutely love the car (have ~7,000 km on it). It took me about 3 weeks and 6 trips to various offices to get the car registered. I ended up paying ~40k for inspection (vizsgaztatas), ~22k for translation (Offi), ~65k for registration (okmanyiroda). The annual car tax is zero on EVs (I think they used golf cart on the form :) ). Insurance (CASCO) is ~650k / year at Generali.

I've been almost exclusively using the free ELMU chargers (tried 8 of them) as I only get around 6km range per hour at home from the 220V / 6A wall socket. Only once I had to find another charger due to an ICE occupying the spot.
Hey Hun!

Thanks for sharing. Actually, you got off cheaper than I expected. Your total for getting the car registered in the country (essentially via private import, having to provide certified translation of papers as well) was about EUR 400. Not that bad considering the price/performance of the car. While I was a little shocked at your CASCO cost at first, checking a few sites I found the cheapest insurance for a BMW M5 to be a littel over 1 million HUF per year (EUR 3300), so you got off pretty good with the 650k (EUR 2200).

So what recations did you get at the various places when registering the car? Did anyone know it already? I can see you going to a government office (Okmanyiroda) and explaining to the "average Marika néni" behind the counter that you have an EV, from a company called Tesla. LOL.

As for your charging experience... yeah i did see a few of those ELMU chargers popping up, some of them are even 22kW now, so its good to know you can actually rely on those. Did you consider getting a wall charger for home? Do those cost an arm and a leg? I found a few models available in Hungary from Schneider Electric, ABB and even ELMU, but it is very telling there was no pricing anywhere... But maybe you could ask ELMU what it would cost if they installed a standard 400v red socket for you. 220v / 6A (did you mean 230v/16A?) sounds pretty bad.

You say you have 7k km in it already. Did you travel within Hungary? Do you have any experience charging in the country side? I believe the lake Balaton area and the city of Miskolc have a few chargers, but other than that... Good thing we have a small country. :)

Sia. Do you know how many Teslas are these days in Hungary? I saw there is a SC planed in Győr. I m wondering that in Budapest there is none.
Hey there, neighbor!

So we only get data refreshed once or twice a year and i can only drill down to brand... I think ours is the last country in the EU that does not publish detailed vehicle registration data for free every month. The latest I have is total (cumulative) numbers at the end of 2016, which was 47 Teslas. (Now, Tesla does not have a presence in Hungary, no store exists, so these are all private imports, some of them may be Roadsters, which could not use the SC network).

I think they are building the Győr Supercharger as it enables travel within the Vienna-Bratislava-Budapest triangle and they are mostly building it for foreigners visiting.

Having said that, Tesla used to have (unofficial) plans for at least 2 more SC locations: one just as the M1/M7 highways unite before entering Budapest and another one at the M7 Highway, towards Croatia, somewhere in the the lake Balaton area, enabling travel from the North Sea (Poland) to the Adriatic.

Having said that, Tesla used to have (unofficial) plans for at least 2 more SC locations: one just as the M1/M7 highways unite before entering Budapest and another one at the M7 Highway, towards Croatia, somewhere in the the lake Balaton area, enabling travel from the North Sea (Poland) to the Adriatic.

That would be nice. I rather take the route through Hungary on the way to Croatia. ;-) I guess this will change with Model 3 aproaching.