Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great shortcut for MX Iphone/Apple Watch and start w/out key (no FOB)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were discussing the start with phone vs FOB on a different thread, and I complained about the number of steps I need to use on the app (First, unlock the charge port, then unlock the doors, then enable start with phone). Using the app "Remote for Tesla" on the iPhone, I set up a Shortcut (apple phone app), that does the following:

When I lift may Apple watch and say "Start my car":

The app connects, then it automatically starts the climate, then automatically unlocks the charge port, then automatically unlocks the doors, then automatically enables "start with phone", then opens my garage door.

Just one command into the apple watch!

We were discussing the start with phone vs FOB on a different thread, and I complained about the number of steps I need to use on the app (First, unlock the charge port, then unlock the doors, then enable start with phone). Using the app "Remote for Tesla" on the iPhone, I set up a Shortcut (apple phone app), that does the following:

When I lift may Apple watch and say "Start my car":

The app connects, then it automatically starts the climate, then automatically unlocks the charge port, then automatically unlocks the doors, then automatically enables "start with phone", then opens my garage door.

Just one command into the apple watch!
Do you mind breaking those steps down so a 61 year old can follow? This sounds very cool.

Reactions: X-pilot
Sure! The App you download is Remote for Tesla ($19.95). Log in w/ your Tesla credentials.

Then use the apple app "Shortcut" to create a new shortcut. (Name it "start my car").

Hit the plus sign to add a step. Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then "Awaken Tesla".

Add another step (plus sign again):
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Set climate to 68F"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Open/unlock charge port"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Unlock Tesla"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then "Enable Keyless Start"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Homelink"

Choose "Done".

You can now use sire by saying "Start my Car" and all commands will run in sequence.

You can also add the shortcut to your iPhone home screen (choose the 3 dots top right, then "add to home screen") and then one button press will initiate the shortcut sequence.

Sure! The App you download is Remote for Tesla ($19.95). Log in w/ your Tesla credentials.

Then use the apple app "Shortcut" to create a new shortcut. (Name it "start my car").

Hit the plus sign to add a step. Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then "Awaken Tesla".

Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Set climate to 68F"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Open/unlock charge port"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Unlock Tesla"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then "Enable Keyless Start"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Homelink"

Choose "Done".

You can now use sire by saying "Start my Car" and all commands will run in sequence.

You can also add the shortcut to your iPhone home screen (choose the 3 dots top right, then "add to home screen") and then one button press will initiate the shortcut sequence.
You rock! I'm already closing all windows with this app on my watch, but you've explained how we can fully DICK TRACY our cars on Apple Watch command. Gotta luv it :D

Right - not locked when on my wrist. I just pull up my arm and say "Start my Car".

Also, added "open front" and "open back" for trunk and truck as shortcuts. So just pull up my arm and say "open front" and the trunk opens.

Last week I went out with just my Apple Watch (no FOB or phone). Worked great. I was nervous that it woudn't but is did (Apple Watch 4 w/ cellular).

Right - not locked when on my wrist. I just pull up my arm and say "Start my Car".

Also, added "open front" and "open back" for trunk and truck as shortcuts. So just pull up my arm and say "open front" and the trunk opens.

Last week I went out with just my Apple Watch (no FOB or phone). Worked great. I was nervous that it woudn't but is did (Apple Watch 4 w/ cellular).
Pardon my newbieness but can we drive our Xs with just our phones or only unlock the doors and turn them on, etc?

Pardon my newbieness but can we drive our Xs with just our phones or only unlock the doors and turn them on, etc?

With the App and Apple Siri Shortcut I created on my iPhone, (above), I was able to do the following:

Without a key FOB or iPhone, and wearing only my Apple Watch, I lifted my arm and said "Start My Car", while heading to my garage. The Charging door unlocked, the Cooling started, the drivers door unlocked. the Keyless Start enabled, and my garage door opened.

I sat in the car, put it in Drive and drove to a park for a walk. I went for a 50 minute walk (MX auto locked behind me). When finished, while approaching the MX at the end of my walk (with both FOB's and my iPhone at my home), wearing only the Apple Watch, I lifted my arm and said "start my Car".

The Charging door opened, the Cooling started, the drivers door unlocked. the Keyless Start enabled, and my garage door attempted to open, but since the MX was too far from my home, this command did not succeed.

I sat in the car, put it in drive and drove home.

With the App and Apple Siri Shortcut I created on my iPhone, (above), I was able to do the following:

Without a key FOB or iPhone, and wearing only my Apple Watch, I lifted my arm and said "Start My Car", while heading to my garage. The Charging door unlocked, the Cooling started, the drivers door unlocked. the Keyless Start enabled, and my garage door opened.

I sat in the car, put it in Drive and drove to a park for a walk. I went for a 50 minute walk (MX auto locked behind me). When finished, while approaching the MX at the end of my walk (with both FOB's and my iPhone at my home), wearing only the Apple Watch, I lifted my arm and said "start my Car".

The Charging door opened, the Cooling started, the drivers door unlocked. the Keyless Start enabled, and my garage door attempted to open, but since the MX was too far from my home, this command did not succeed.

Okay; I’m convinced. This is really cool! I’m not crazy about the fob after having driven a Model 3 for the past 2 years. This sounds like the perfect solution.

ok so does your Apple Watch have cellular plan? If no, without your iPhone, does it connect to your MX via Bluetooth or the in-car hotspot?

Sorry for the confusion.
I meant to add ? after my comment.

You can give it a try.. follow the same instruction.
where it show remote replaced by stats.

I am debating buying either stat or remote.

I ask like you, if stats works I may buy stats.

If you are successful let us know here.

Thanks
I took a look into my stats app and can't figure out a way to do it. But...there are way more savvy folks out there than me, so maybe someone else can figure it out.