Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GQ Reviews P85D: "Quick as a Bugatti Veyron"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, now I get it. I think your interpretation is correct.
I had the same confusion. It sound like he is disagreeing with Elons whole quote that despite the price the car "makes the point" but I think I agree that what he must have meant was that he disagrees that it is expensive; compared to equivalent performance ICE. Anyway the only poor sentence in an otherwise entertaining piece. Now I'm really really excited to get my P85D. Might have to rent a runway somewhere.

I calculated out the P85D acceleration to be around 0.85G...

That would be the average acceleration based on 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

Peak torque, and thus peak acceleration, happens at 0mph. So it'll pull 1G (or near) right at launch and then the acceleration gradually fades as a the car goes faster. It's not linear, it's a curve.

I've driven an alcohol bracket dragster that was much faster 0-60..... So what!
This is a minivan I can drive every day of the week that will do 0-60 in 3.1 seconds all day long every day of the week with zero drama. You can bring all the super cars you like but they will not hold a candle to the previous statements.

And besides, with proper tires, the Veyron will do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds -- much faster.
Ah, but here is the critical problem w/ the Veyron. That 0-60 is all Launch Control magic - spin that big ass motor to produce a crapload of potential energy and then dump it to the tires. That is completely useless in normal driving. Check out it's 5-60 time. 8.4 seconds! That's probably a typo. Trying to find another source. Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - First Drive Review - Car Reviews - Car and Driver

So that means a P85D will be WAY faster than a Veyron doing things like freeway on-ramps and such - things we we do every day :)

UPDATE: I found another source that says Car and Driver stated the Veyron's 5-60 was 3.2 so although I haven't seen a 5-60 number for the P85D I'm guessing it'll be close.

Last edited:
It's actually a highly astounding comparison for Tesla.

But when exactly is anyone going to do a 0-250 run? Oh at an airstrip? Right, because thats where everyone drives their cars in their daily commutes. LOL!

And .7 seconds isnt much faster, also keep in mind one is burning/wasting lots of finite fuel while the other isnt burning/wasting any.

I'll take the super sleek super slick super silent super safe super sexy sedan over the 1 million dollar beetle that runs off beetle juice :wink:

Definitely agree that it is astounding that the Tesla can even be compared to a car costing an order of magnitude more. The 0.7 sec difference isn't negligible though. The quicker you get, the more each 0.1 sec means. See the informative graphic below....:tongue:

car-acceleration-diagram-known-cars.png