Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS position Stuck?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard of a couple of cases (including mine) regarding a loose and/or defective GPS antenna. It may come back. Only way to fix is service (and pulling the rear glass!) if the connector closest to the antenna is loose.

I've heard of a couple of cases (including mine) regarding a loose and/or defective GPS antenna. It may come back. Only way to fix is service (and pulling the rear glass!) if the connector closest to the antenna is loose.

I had this exact same situation which as you described required reconnecting the GPS antenna after removing the back glass, since a hard reset did not work.

I have just encountered the same symptoms as the OP, although mine is intermittent. Discussed with my service manager and he wants the car to pull the rear glass. My first indication of a problem was a couple months ago, when a red charging pin showed up on the nav screen for a location in which the car was never parked. I did not understand it at the time, but now it makes sense. So, if you plug in at home with the GPS stuck at some other location, you will get a new red pin on the map for where the car thinks it is. Cant help but blame the New England potholes for vibrating something loose.

I have just encountered the same symptoms as the OP, although mine is intermittent. Discussed with my service manager and he wants the car to pull the rear glass. My first indication of a problem was a couple months ago, when a red charging pin showed up on the nav screen for a location in which the car was never parked. I did not understand it at the time, but now it makes sense. So, if you plug in at home with the GPS stuck at some other location, you will get a new red pin on the map for where the car thinks it is. Cant help but blame the New England potholes for vibrating something loose.

My GPS unstuck after the 3 days or so. Never had another problem with it. But it appears a few others had their back glass pulled to get the problem fixed. I would try to reset your displays, then pull the fuse. But with it freezing intermittently it is probably a failing connection to the GPS chip/antenna which probably means pulling the back glass.

I had similar troubles about 5 months ago. Required swapping out the GPS unit behind the screen. Be aware if they swap out some of the components on the board you may loose not only your personal settings but all of your energy use history (as I did).

Service looked at my car (3 posts ago) and thought they figured out the problem. I was reluctant to agree but said ok and that we would keep an eye on it. As they were driving the car to my house to swap with my loaner, the porter observed the GPS lock up once again. He returned to the shop and they are relying on engineering to figure this out. My personal opinion is that the GPS unit behind the screen is overheating and some thermal protection is electrically shutting it down. Troubleshooting continues.

Update 4/10/14: Techs found something intermittent with the cable connection at the the GPS unit behind the screen. They were able to wiggle the connector and repeat my symptoms. Service replaced the GPS unit and returned my car and all is well.

Last edited:
The GPS position for my car just got stuck a few minutes ago. The car was at the service center for some rattles a few weeks ago. The work left my dash all warped and misaligned so it went back and they replaced the entire dashpad. Maybe they loosened the GPS antenna by accident?

Resurrecting an old thread - I'm having the same issue on my new 85D. Started happening after the latest update. GPS loses signal intermittently during the day, and seems to reset itself after I plug in at home for a few hours. Not sure what the deal is - will have service look at it (along with a few other issues) later this week.