Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X fresh GPS not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X Plaid received March 2023

GPS would sometimes not work, example car would show sitting at home even though we are hours away. This went on for four days then it suddenly started to work.

I made an appointment and they could not duplicate the problem, that was in May. From May until July this has happened a couple of times but lasting only a few minutes. End of July it was frozen again, at home. Going into the service menu shows zero satellites being tracked - for reference my 2018 Model 3 sitting next to it outside of my garage showed 10 at the same time.

Serice contacted and now I have an appointment for Aug 14th. In the conversation with the tech he stated "we have been encountering some firmware bugs with the new HW4 cars regarding GPS."

Seems they know about the issue. If they say they can't duplicate it again, I will schedule service again and after that go the lemon law route. I'm hopeful for a resolution on the 14th.

• Informative
Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
@xapache, well not your first rodeo since you understand that you can look at some details in the service menu. Does seem a bit drastic to go down the lemon law route so quickly. I get GPS issues occasionally in my '17 X when it is in my garage but often after a couple of days of sitting (every other month or so). When I go somewhere it doesn't show me on my route for a few minutes as it reconnects to the satellites. One time it lasted a couple of days and I was going to take it to service but disconnected the 12v neg for a few minutes and let it 'cold' reboot. I've only had to do that once.

Re: firmware bugs with the new HW4 cars regarding GPS
If it was me, I'd just keep great notes and give it more time and appts to be resolved. Not sure how long you have for the lemon law in FL

@xapache i have 2023 X LR. Have you checked the Service Menu > Driver Assistance > Camera settings? Mine is showing GPS Sat in Use: 0 and Dead Reckoning. It has been like that since I got the car on June 28. I had the same issue as yours but my gps started working again after I left my car at the Tesla service. They said, it was working as normal. But my location based auto folding mirror and Homelink auto open don’t work at all. Is it the same with you?

Yes same, 0 in use. GPS location was mosty working but several till 100 metres of.
But now since monday gps is completely stuck, reboot doesn't work.

Tesla service replaced GPS antenna last week, so that didn't work. Requested new service appointement but waiting on a date.

Update: for some reason today, the gps started working as normal again. Homelink auto-open/close and autofold side mirrors are working again. When I go to service menu and camera, it showed there are gps in use while I was at work. When I got home, it is now showing 0 gps in use and dead reckoning but gps and everything else is working.

I don’t know what made it fix itself but while at work before driving home, I scroll wheel rebooted the car and while the screens are still blank, I pressed the D where the wireless phone charging pad is and proceeded to drive. It just worked after I did that. I wasn’t sure if that made it work. 2 hours before that, gps was not working.

I have my scheduled appointment tomorrow for this issue. I’ll continue testing and using it. I’ll have to cancel the service if by tomorrow it is still working. They wont try and trouble shoot anything if it’s working anyway.

Still no new software update though. Stuck in 20.9.

I had this happen multiple times with Model S's years ago. Most of the times were caused by parking in an underground parking garage. Upon getting back into the car, the map would oddly show the car was at my home miles and miles away....and it would not budge. Sometimes that would fix itself after 1-2 days. A couple times took weeks. Reboots, service, etc were all confused. One day it would just work again...often while mid-drive. It occurred on two or three of my Model S's over an 8 year span, so clearly it's something Tesla was having a hard time fixing for some reason.

I had this happen multiple times with Model S's years ago. Most of the times were caused by parking in an underground parking garage. Upon getting back into the car, the map would oddly show the car was at my home miles and miles away....and it would not budge. Sometimes that would fix itself after 1-2 days. A couple times took weeks. Reboots, service, etc were all confused. One day it would just work again...often while mid-drive. It occurred on two or three of my Model S's over an 8 year span, so clearly it's something Tesla was having a hard time fixing for some reason.
That’s exactly what I’m experiencing. So did they replace any hardware on those you had issues with?

That’s exactly what I’m experiencing. So did they replace any hardware on those you had issues with?

They did once but it was still frozen afterwards and they send me home with the car and said it will come back to life soon. I was told to keep it parked in my driveway overnight and not in the garage. About 24 hours later, it came back. I never bothered to take it to service again after that because it was clear the hardware replacement was not the fix.

They did once but it was still frozen afterwards and they send me home with the car and said it will come back to life soon. I was told to keep it parked in my driveway overnight and not in the garage. About 24 hours later, it came back. I never bothered to take it to service again after that because it was clear the hardware replacement was not the fix.
And after it came back, did it freeze again?

Ok, did not see this one coming:
Having problems with my falcon wing door. After analyses by Tesla they asked me to agree the cost roaming so an appointment could be scheduled.
That cost document stated: replacement HW4 computer. Because I could not link this to my door problem I asked Tesla why. They said it was service from Tesla to improve my GPS performance....