Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got the new Turanza EV tires…but some issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 21 M3 SR. 19 inch wheels.

Original Tires were Continental Pro Contact , they were fine for most part, they lasted 46,000 miles and were still 2/10 and 3/10 tread depth, so time to replace.

My local Costco had the Turanza EV, seems like they’re fairly new as there’s not much reviews about them online. The Bridgestone marketing and online blogs all had good things to say so I decided to give it a shot.

I’m running 42 psi , Nitrogen.

The tires are quiet and ride seems to be a bit more dampened leading to a more smoother drive on same roads when compared to original tires.

What I noticed immediately that bothers me:

1. Understeer: especially at speeds > 70 mph. I drive between 75-85 mph daily and the first time on the highway with these, I felt like I was going to lose control during a hard lane change when I got cut off…. Did not happen with previous tires.
At low speeds, it’s still noticeable, but not as problematic

2. Autopilot has a harder time staying in the lane at 80+ mph around medium to high angle curves on the highway . I feel this is related to the tires, as the continental tires had a lot less issues with the car staying center in the lane even during a curve at high speeds

2. Tire width is too narrow for the wheel. See attached pic. This makes me feel it will be much easier to scrape the wheels. Looks ugly.

Most importantly- is it safe for the tire to be this narrow on the wheel? Any chance this would cause issues while maneuvering at higher speeds ?

3. Big loss in range compared to Continental Pros. Today, I did a 40 mile drive at 80 mph 95% highway. 52 degree weather. No traffic at all. Heat on 1 72 degrees and driver seat warmer set to 1-2 for entire trip. Does this sound comparable to you guys with same car as me?

This 40 mile drive used up 80 miles of charge! Start 111 , end 31. I think the worst I saw with my oem continentals was a max of 1.5x the actual mileage in winter …this is 2x the actual distance and not that cold either!

I’m thinking to return these tires honestly, what do you guys recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_8797.jpeg
    IMG_8797.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Which tire did you buy exactly? What size? 235/40/19? How much did you pay per tire?

If you are doing more spirited driving then get the Hankook iON EVO summer version or the AS version if efficiency is your priority.

The AS version is under $200 at Walmart I think. Discount Tire will price match that.

I have these tires on recently from costco as well on my Model S 75 RWD. When comparing against an economy all season tire, it's light years ahead in terms of stability and performance on wintery conditions. When compared to the cross climate 2, it's a little bit less stable.

However, I'm willing to keep using these tires if they lasts as long as they say it does. We will see. The cross climate 2 didn't lasts long. I think I got pretty close to 20k miles on it. A economy all season from town fair tire (non brand name) got like only 10k miles.

I got about 30K miles on the original Continentals, but got tired of the increasingly loud road noise so I decided to get the Bridgestones as I have had good luck with them over the years on my MBZ.

Much quieter, seem softer riding. It does seem like my range has dropped a bit, but I have not looked at the miles per KW, frankly.