Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google Maps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does the Tesla map always tell me to get off the hwy on a random exit? It adds time to the drive. Is there a way to make it to where i get to destination in shortest time?
This happens daily on the way to work, i ignore it, stay on hwy and get to my destination in a shorter time. I know when you put in the destination from the beginning it will give different options, but this happens in route to destination. I really don't trust Google maps.

I really wish we could use Waze on the screen, Google maps sucks.

The Tesla map is Google maps at it's base but not the same as Google Maps you use on your cell phone. I do agree that it's not nearly as good as Waze, Apple Maps, or regular Google Maps but there's zero chance Tesla makes those options available.
It doesn't make sense that i have to have Waze open on my phone while that beautiful Tesla screen is displaying a useless map.

Upvote 0
As mentioned, Tesla uses Google Maps as their core mapping product and for some visualizations that occur on screen but not for navigation. Google charges A LOT of money for their Maps Platform APIs. Instead, Tesla relies on Mapbox which, in comparison to Google Maps, Waze (owned by Google) and even Apple Maps, is lacking quite a bit from a live traffic/accurate routing standpoint. Ira Ehrenpreis sits on both boards (Tesla & Mapbox), has a personal relationship with Elon and has built a strong tie between the two companies. I fear we're not going to see another map product natively rolled out on Teslas anytime soon (if not ever), Tesla gains way too much information from the use of Mapbox and Mapbox's available APIs/core product features to add a competing/alternative product. Mapbox is the perfect solution for what Tesla intends to accomplish, we just get to suffer from their subpar navigation capabilities until (hopefully) they become much better.

Upvote 0
You might want to check the setting about automatic re-routing when a different route is x minutes faster. If you are at less than 5 minutes for that setting, change it up. It might help you in your specific recurring route.
I tried this, I put 1 mile. Now it tries to take me off but closer to destination. funny thing is, it doesn't save any time at all. I stay on hwy to see if it adds 1 minute which it should, but it doesn't, it actually decreases time? It makes no sense how this is supposed to work.

Maybee adding 20 min or more will force it to keep me on same route? Who knows?

Upvote 0
It could be that route is more energy efficient? But yeah Tesla’s routing isn’t as good as Google maps or even Apple Maps. On my route to work it does this for absolutely no reason every time instead of just going straight…
1675352164074.jpeg

Upvote 0
I tried this, I put 1 mile. Now it tries to take me off but closer to destination. funny thing is, it doesn't save any time at all. I stay on hwy to see if it adds 1 minute which it should, but it doesn't, it actually decreases time? It makes no sense how this is supposed to work.

Maybee adding 20 min or more will force it to keep me on same route? Who knows?

Unfortunately there are problems no matter what but it is all specific scenario dependent. Google maps doesn't always pick the actual fastest route all the time either.

None of these routing services can win in al scenarios all of the time, there are too many variables(stupid drivers). They don't account for likely to happen issues that can make MASSIVE changes in drive time for a given route. For example, on my afternoon route, in the time it takes between my starting point and a highway interchange where I have to change highways, there is a reasonable chance there is going to be an accident on that 2nd highway....so it's better for me to go a completely different way starting within 10 minutes of me driving because if there is an accident on that highway, I am both significantly increasing my drive time and increasing the chance to be in an accident because of now having to take an alternate route on highly congested roads not normally driven.

Can't win. haha.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong on this (I hope I am), but I was reading a number of posts elsewhere on here saying a recent update jacked it up.
I'll check it tomorrow. It has had a chronic issue of crashing the Tesla browser because it apparently exceeds the allowed streaming rate limit when the map scrolls. But it was usable.

People with Android phones tend to use the TeslaA app in combination with Android Auto. Only a phone is needed and plain old Waze app works more or less.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
im pretty sure tesla uses openmaps? Not google maps?

What are your thoughts about how long you think it would take for a change in OSM to be accounted for in the car? In the past(just looked, was 3 years ago now) I saw some missing things in OSM(one way street identifications for example, speed limits are another example) that I fixed in OSM but 6 months later still were not accounted for in the car.

I can say that 3 years later the car is not accounting for speed limits in OSM data. There are a couple more things that I am going to re-look at as well.

Upvote 0
What are your thoughts about how long you think it would take for a change in OSM to be accounted for in the car? In the past(just looked, was 3 years ago now) I saw some missing things in OSM(one way street identifications for example, speed limits are another example) that I fixed in OSM but 6 months later still were not accounted for in the car.

I can say that 3 years later the car is not accounting for speed limits in OSM data. There are a couple more things that I am going to re-look at as well.
The word on the street is that Tesla harvests navigation data from OSM and TomTom. I've made changes to both which were included by Tesla after about a year. As a test, I gave the private road that I live on a 10 mph speed limit and Tesla now uses it. There are obviously no speed limit signs on this road.

Upvote 0
The word on the street is that Tesla harvests navigation data from OSM and TomTom. I've made changes to both which were included by Tesla after about a year. As a test, I gave the private road that I live on a 10 mph speed limit and Tesla now uses it. There are obviously no speed limit signs on this road.

Yeah and this is the interesting thing. I don't like the idea of saying that you are wrong because there could be some unknown thing that is causing our discrepancy in what we are seeing. Right now though, I can say that I have roads that I travel where the OSM speed data is not adhered too. I also have a speed limit sign that is not accounted for(which throws into question TeslaVision reading speed limit signs).

It is interesting that you made a speed change to a road and that was applied in car, and yet I have made multiple speed changes to roads that I travel that have NOT been applied to in car even after 3 years now. So there is some unknown variable that is causing this discrepancy.

You said Private road...is the road that you changed the speed limit on actually tagged as a "private" road in OSM? I was thinking that that could have been an explanation to our discrepancy...that perhaps tesla is going if its a private road in OSM then ignore everything else and fall back to some "default" values. That doesn't really make sense but is the only thing I can think of. I don't like the idea of me manipulating OSM data just to test the theory but I don't know how else to prove/disprove it.

Now TomTom data I have not done any editing on and haven't looked at it at all. The other thing with that is when is Tesla using what data source, it would have to be separated or there would have to be some priority given to one source over the other to avoid conflicts. Maybe I'll look at the TomTom stuff. How did you go about editing the TomTom data?

Upvote 0