Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the end of today Roswell should be ~done. Just waiting on the inspection and Xcel. Total cost was ~$4300 not counting the HPWCs and stanchion donated by Tesla. But this is 2 HPWCs at a full 80A and a 14-50. If we get more equipment from Tesla we can easily add up to 4 more HPWC. Though obviously if you have 3 HPWC on an 80A circuit you're getting <27A.

I have approval from the host for a site in Artesia but I need donations to catch up a bit before I do that. Please donate. If you'd rather mail me a HD gift card or something else please PM me. Let's crowdsource this lack of charging in SE NM.

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 12.16.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 12.17.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 12.17.41 PM.png

80A per HPWC for 160A total continuous. Adding the 14-50 is pushing it a bit but I figured few cars can charge @ 80A these days and few mobile EVSEs support 40A so the odds of actually pulling >160A are ~0.
That sounds about right but a small voice keeps telling me that derating each HPWC to 64A would not be a terrible idea; or at least derating one of the HPWC. In the latter case maximum pull would probably be 80+64+32 = 176.

Your plugshare entry could identify the 80A EVSE

Reactions: VValleyEV
That sounds about right but a small voice keeps telling me that derating each HPWC to 64A would not be a terrible idea; or at least derating one of the HPWC. In the latter case maximum pull would probably be 80+64+32 = 176.

Your plugshare entry could identify the 80A EVSE

Maybe; I'll do some testing. I suspect that the cars will derate themselves before getting close to ~160A. I know my car derates to ~60A when I charge at my friends house because voltage dips to ~220 from ~230.

The ratings on all that equipment is very conservative anyway. I'm not concerned about anything melting :)

My biggest concern is that Xcel is gonna 'low ball' us with a 10kVA transformer because that's typically what 200A service gets. With a 10kVA transformer my charge rate will probably be derated by the car to ~60A like it is at my friends house. With 2 cars charging we'd be lucky if the cars allow 40A each. Kinda wish Tesla had a 'battle short' for charging. Maybe a popup screen warning you of the low voltage you can just acknowledge. A 10kVA transformer can push >20kVA the voltage would just dip by ~20%.

Last edited:
Wow, what a super thing to see happening. Donation made and congrats on more installs down the road. I've seen your posts on a number of forum threads I participate on but had no idea you were doing this. Glad the title caught my eye. Kudos to your McDonald's owner too.

It was a bit pricier than I had hoped but we are getting an independent service that can support up to 160A of continuous charging. With any luck this creates a bit of a crack in the resistance. I've seen at least 1 Tesla each time I'm in Roswell (different one each time) so I'm guess there's got to be at least a dozen in this area but there's still a lit of cynicism with businesses I approached about hosting a charging site.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush
Cynicism because of lack of cars in need of charging or just support of EVs in general? In your solar business are you encountering Tesla or other EV owners out there? I would think alot of people in that area would charge at home like we do here (just so convenient) but for tourists and let's face it Roswell must attract its share of tourists, it's got to be huge benefit to those traveling and I'm sure they are appreciative of having convenient charging options and businesses that help support them.

If due to lack of EVs in general I find it funny that NM is going to charge so few of you $100 in registration fees but they couldn't manage to pass any EV amendments that would have otherwise helped with charging and purchasing incentives. Too bad but hopefully you guys can get something passed next year. I think everyone just wants to get the free money from the VW dieselgate settlement. Anyway I see your efforts as being even more important to EV owners in the meantime.

I saw this February article by the NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council) on NM's recent legislative efforts and wondered if groups like this might help provide funding for small projects like yours that support their mission. Their website touts they have a 4 star charity rating. I'm thinking they might even have connections to sponsor some charging locations through their membership. New Mexico Misses Chance to Help Consumers Drive Clean

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV
80A per HPWC for 160A total continuous. Adding the 14-50 is pushing it a bit but I figured few cars can charge @ 80A these days and few mobile EVSEs support 40A so the odds of actually pulling >160A are ~0.

Wow, great news. I have a 2018 MS purchased from inventory with a 72a on-board charger, and I see 72a in my garage with my HPWC. Would love to try it out next time I am in you neck of the woods, will be fun to see what number pops up on the screen.

Wow, great news. I have a 2018 MS purchased from inventory with a 72a on-board charger, and I see 72a in my garage with my HPWC. Would love to try it out next time I am in you neck of the woods, will be fun to see what number pops up on the screen.

Should be 72A unless your HPWC was installed incorrectly. I thought about getting 277v but I didn't want to restrict this site to only Teslas :( Sucks that J1772 doesn't support 277v.

Tesla seems to be moving away from higher powered L2 charging. I believe ALL cars are 48A or less now and the Gen 3 HPWC tops out at 48A. I wonder if a ~$1k-ish 'L3' that's ~20kW could be in the works...

That would be intriguing.

I'm trying to tamp down my Amp envy. My poor car does not go above 48 Amps.

Joking aside, my wife and I are planning a trip to Carlsbad caverns in the near future thanks to nwdiver's efforts. We start out in Albuquerque and plan a 2 day trip. The first leg is easy: drive to Roswell for the night and charge overnight. The return is now practical with our Moidel 3 LR:
Roswell to the caverns;
caverns to Roswell and a ~ 1 hour stop to eat and charge to gain ~ 50 miles of additional range
Roswell to Santa Rosa

Reactions: nwdiver
I'm trying to tamp down my Amp envy. My poor car does not go above 48 Amps.

I think '18 was the last year they built Teslas with >48A chargers. I kinda got the 80A => 72A slide since 80A was hard for most services to support anyway. Rarely can I get 80A without voltage dip severe enough for the car to reduce charge rate to <72A. But the slide from 72A to 48A kinda sucks.