Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Fund Me for EV Charging in SE NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Seems like a few bucks from a large # of TMCers would go a long way. And FWIW, if there are similar dead zones elsewhere in the country where we have a local resource like @nwdiver who can take the lead on installs, I'd toss a few bucks that way as well, even though I might personally be less likely to benefit.

Bumping this for all our new Tesla owners in the southwest over the past 3 months. This is a project that is sorely needed.

We're FINALLY making real progress now! Met with Xcel Engineers yesterday, pulled the permits for Roswell and I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll have the HPWC in Roswell and Artesia installed by May. Really wishing that 277v was part of the J1772 standard. Since we're building a new service I get to pick the service voltage but I can't really make this Tesla only so I'm a little hamstrung in ensuring non-Teslas can use the charging stations too.

All charging stations start the same way... with paint markings for 811 :)

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 1.07.04 PM.png

Awesome! Am I reading the picture correctly that it'll be a 2-stall setup? Are they planning to reserve the spots for EVs or have them be first-come, first-served?

Thanks again for your work on this!

Awesome! Am I reading the picture correctly that it'll be a 2-stall setup? Are they planning to reserve the spots for EVs or have them be first-come, first-served?

Thanks again for your work on this!

One 'stall', really more of a 'stantion' initially. Figured we'd have 811 make sure we were good to add a second while they're there. I only have two HPWCs currently. The owner has applied with Tesla to get more equipment under their destination charging program. If he gets more HPWCs then we'll install more.

We'll definitely make sure the spaces are well marked but there's an ally where I'm standing so worse comes to worse you could drive up the ally and park in the gravel if all the spaces around the HPWCs are ICE'd.

Reactions: Zaxxon
Would it save you significantly to install 2 at once? I would imagine we can pimp the fundraiser some more if so. Destination charging program is nice, but if you save $500 and it adds $1k in costs...

Hmmm.... maybe a little. We're ~2 hours away so the cost difference is mostly travel and setup time. The added cost of adding more later vs now is probably <$300.

I am hoping that donations tick up a bit now that we're actually showing some progress. This is a bit pricier than I was expecting since we have to actually install a new service. For now I'm just happy I was able to find a host. It was unbelievable how much disinterest I was getting talking to businesses. Felt like I'd time traveled back to 1986 or something....

:: happy dance ::

Way to go Chris !

I'm not quite following the setup you are considering for each location. How many Tesla and how many J1772 at each location for now; or what setup would you have if Tesla or supporters provide more Tesla EVSE ?

Also, how does HPWC and non Tesla EV charging get sorted out ?

Last edited:
:: happy dance ::

Way to go Chris !

I'm not quite following the setup you are considering for each location. How many Tesla and how many J1772 at each location for now; or what setup would you have if Tesla or supporters provide more Tesla EVSE ?

Initially at minimum a HPWC and a 14-50 at each location. If donations pick up or I'm feeling generous I may purchase a couple Clipper Creeks. If Tesla steps up I can see this being 3 HPWC + 1 Clipper Creek at each location. We're dropping a 200A service so that's really the limiting factor.

This is essentially what we're installing, except 2 stantions and each stantion can support 2 EVSEs.

301607.jpg

Stantion is a new word for me. Did you mean stanchion ?

I wonder ... would you consider a two stanchion setup, with one HPWC and one 14-50 on each stanchion ?
That would let you pull 100 Amps to each stanchion, and split the 100 Amps into 40 Amps for the 14-50 and 60 Amps for the HPWC. Most Mobile L2 J1772 are 32 Amps continuous, including the latest Tesla variety.

Reactions: Big Earl