Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge (SE) tech support sucks, beware. (long thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not convinced that SolarEdge support issues apply to everyone. No issues with me with systems on 3 homes. The last time I needed support was one month ago when a module optimizer went out during the high heat. I contacted them and they sent out a new one under warranty overnight FedEx and it was installed the next day. I suspect like every other company, there are going to be people that like them and people that don't. Best of luck with future issues.

SolarEdge support sucks the big one... there is no other way to say it.

Almost 2 months waiting for a replacement inverter.

I wish they would buy it back, like the lemon that it is, so I can go get a good brand inverter

SolarEdge told me that profiles will be configurable by the home homeowner this autumn. I have a battery and PV and the installer has gone AWOL. I finished the setup of the battery and some wiring myself with SolarEdge on WhatsApp.

As the installer has disappeared and I still owe them money I can’t get the system signed off.
That sounds like a positive move from SE. I know not having the ability to set your own charge/discharge profiles & having to rely on your installer has put a number of potential customers off purchasing SolarEdge (SE).
Incidentally, I’m still waiting for a warranty replacement inverter & currently no sign of one coming anytime soon. Obviously not impressed with SE support.

3 months for a replacement battery. It worked for 2 days then crapped out. 1 month to get them to make a decision that it was faulty. 1 month to get them to get their act together to internally get their paper work in order. Then 1 month to queue up a replacement. Now I really hope it is the battery and not the inverter or the backup box.

And yes, owners need to be able to configure their own battery profile. Neither the installer nor anyone at SE understands the modes.
I wish to charge the battery to 100% during daytime PV over production and then enable the battery discharge during early evening 6 to 8 pm when the rates are high but the sun is low (summertime). Not sure how to do that. Maximize self consumption right before peak hours begin (2pm to 8 pm) then at 2 pm switch to Discharge to minimize import? Anyone have alternate suggestions?

And yes, owners need to be able to configure their own battery profile. Neither the installer nor anyone at SE understands the modes.
I wish to charge the battery to 100% during daytime PV over production and then enable the battery discharge during early evening 6 to 8 pm when the rates are high but the sun is low (summertime). Not sure how to do that. Maximize self consumption right before peak hours begin (2pm to 8 pm) then at 2 pm switch to Discharge to minimize import? Anyone have alternate suggestions?
I eventually got SE to set a summer and a winter “maximum self consumption) profile. Theoretically (&hopefully) the winter profile ends at the end of this month.
Winter profile: Oct 1st to March 31st the SE battery charges to 100% in the Octopus cheap rate period (12.30 - 04.30), battery then runs the house until next charge. Any solar feeds the house & any excess tops up the SE battery.
Summer profile: is exactly the same except the SE battery doesn’t charge during off peak since there’s hopefully enough solar during the day to run the house and keep the SE battery topped up. I may need to adjust those dates in due course.
Since my previous post re the reliability of my SE system it has had approximately 14 short term failures requiring intervention from SE support and a recent visit from the installer to remove the dc isolator. In between those failures the system works as designed, however I would never buy a SolarEdge system again primarily due to the apathetic response to issues from SE support and of course the number of failures in less than 12 months from what is essentially a fairly simple system.

• Informative
Reactions: tmoz
I eventually got SE to set a summer and a winter “maximum self consumption) profile. Theoretically (&hopefully) the winter profile ends at the end of this month.
Winter profile: Oct 1st to March 31st the SE battery charges to 100% in the Octopus cheap rate period (12.30 - 04.30), battery then runs the house until next charge. Any solar feeds the house & any excess tops up the SE battery.
Summer profile: is exactly the same except the SE battery doesn’t charge during off peak since there’s hopefully enough solar during the day to run the house and keep the SE battery topped up. I may need to adjust those dates in due course.
Since my previous post re the reliability of my SE system it has had approximately 14 short term failures requiring intervention from SE support and a recent visit from the installer to remove the dc isolator. In between those failures the system works as designed, however I would never buy a SolarEdge system again primarily due to the apathetic response to issues from SE support and of course the number of failures in less than 12 months from what is essentially a fairly simple system.
Thanks for the info. Could you please name the SE battery profile modes you are using? I'm not 100% sure how each mode operates

“Maximum self consumption” is the term the tech used. If you’ve got the inverter profile setup paperwork it’s one of the profile names. Hope that helps.
Ah OK - that term is familiar to me. I didn't know if you mixed in any other terms. I'll copy here what I'm thinking in the next 24 hrs. The SE people don't even know exactly how these things behave in different circumstances. I may have to try a revision or two to characterize how it does its maximizing and minimizing.

Ah OK - that term is familiar to me. I didn't know if you mixed in any other terms. I'll copy here what I'm thinking in the next 24 hrs. The SE people don't even know exactly how these things behave in different circumstances. I may have to try a revision or two to characterize how it does its maximizing and minimizing.
Take a look at this screenshot taken a few moments ago, what do you make of that. Something to do with the hour change I suspect.

Attachments

• 3BDC2102-9387-4780-B5C2-9C85AC5463B0.png
    3BDC2102-9387-4780-B5C2-9C85AC5463B0.png
    287.8 KB · Views: 63
Take a look at this screenshot taken a few moments ago, what do you make of that. Something to do with the hour change I suspect.

There would have been 2x sets of data for the hour following time change, so maybe they've just been added together to make a 2x high peak, an hour shorter than normal =- same "area under the graph" maybe

Actually, that's wrong - that would be Autumn "fall back" ... likely that it relates to clock-change though

My Tesla APP shows the PowerWall charging smoothly during the night ... not sure how they are fudging that! - the X-Scale looks the same as normal

I wouldn't worry about that one. The SE monitoring app gave me a warning yesterday that they were going down for maintenance, but rest assured that the data was still being collected. Perhaps a glitch somewhere. At one point 2 months ago, somebody slipped a few zeros and I was consuming and producing MW instead of kW.

@tmoz just for info: UK changed to Summer Time last night (I can never remember which you guys guys call "Daylight saving" ... "two great nations separated by a common language")
I'm in Arizona and thankfully we do not adjust clocks here. But we mentally have to figure out that when Daylight Savings time is in effect, we are then the same time as California, but then 2 hrs behind central time and 3 hrs behind eastern time. As opposed to being one hour ahead of california, one hour behind central and two hours behind eastern when there is no daylight savings time in effect.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
This is what I'm thinking for the lower energy usage months when peak rates are 5 am to 9 am and 5 pm to 9 pm.
I'm also thinking of telling it to not use the battery during the low rates at night.
Midnight to 5 am (low rates) "PV Only"
5 am to 9 am (high rates) "Discharge to minimize import"
9 am to 5 pm (medium rates) "Maximize self consumption"
5 pm to 9 pm (high rates) "Discharge to minimize import"
9 pm to midnight (low rates) PV Only

I'm thinking of adding one more cycle to use all the PV it can to charge the battery to 100% "Charge from PV"
9 am to 3 pm (medium rates) "Maximize self consumption"
3 pm to 5 pm (medium rates) "Charge from PV"
9 pm to midnight (low rates) "PV Only"

thoughts?
Tom
1679857974255.png

This is what I'm thinking for the lower energy usage months when peak rates are 5 am to 9 am and 5 pm to 9 pm.
I'm also thinking of telling it to not use the battery during the low rates at night.
9 am to 5 pm (medium rates) "Maximize self consumption"
9 pm to midnight (low rates) PV Only

I'm thinking of adding one more cycle to use all the PV it can to charge the battery to 100% "Charge from PV"
9 am to 3 pm (medium rates) "Maximize self consumption"
3 pm to 5 pm (medium rates) "Charge from PV"
9 pm to midnight (low rates) "PV Only"

thoughts?
Tom
View attachment 921594
Hi Tom,
Your TOU periods are different to mine, I’m on octopus go so my low rate is 12.30am to 04.30 & peak rate the remaining time.
Who is your energy supplier & tariff name?
Barry

I have just had a SE battery installed along. I asked the installer to setup different charging profiles so I can take advantage of Octopus Go. However they have blanked me and set the profile to 24x7 self consumption.

Is there any way I can self manage the charging profiles or is the only option to get the installer to update it?