Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right then, I have moved a boatload of posts - probably not enough - over to the Pure BEV Dogma thread. If you feel your post was inappropriately moved, well... too bad. This is such a huge mess that I don't have the time to unravel it. If people are better behaved then moderation will be lighter.

No more arguments about PHEV or EREV terminology in this thread. Period.

Also the terminology argument was starting to get snippy. We do not tolerate personal attacks on the forum. Please keep it civil.

For the record, it has been settled that the engine does indeed drive the Volt's wheels if the car calculates that it is more efficient to do so. Discussions about the conditions under which this happens are reasonable; however, the moderators will be watching for signs of devolution into silly terminology arguments!

I'll be good from now on, I promise.

My biggest obstacle to purchasing a Volt is the lack of a 5th seat.
Does anybody think that GM is going to fix that in the next version?
A 5th seat would be great, but it also needs more rear seat leg room. It's very uncomfortable for teenager or adults back there.

The rear seat room it really they only complaint we have with the Volt. It's not as big a deal now, since we take the Model S on all family outings and the Volt is really just a computer car now. It makes it hard for the Volt to be the primary car for a family of four.

We've driven almost exactly the same number of electric miles in our Volt as our Model S over the same time period.

If the Volt had more battery range, I'd be in the same boat. I seriously considered a Volt a couple of years ago, but could only make it one-way on my commute (in good weather) before the ICE kicks in. I wanted to drive all-electric, but wouldn't have objected to an ICE range extender if only the battery was a bit bigger.

They are not the same people-if I get a Volt instead of Leaf I won't drive more EV miles. In fact I'll drive less.

If we swapped the Volt for a Leaf I'd drive fewer miles in the Leaf, because after my wife divorced me, I'd move closer to work. :p

But assuming we swapped the Volt for a Leaf and my wife generally commuted in the Leaf, we'd probably end up driving fewer electric miles because we almost always drive beyond range at the weekends.

However, Volt+(>=Leaf) combo would, I think, work out nicely. 2019 is my target year to switch over, hopefully to a long-range BEV that can cover our regular longer trips.

But assuming we swapped the Volt for a Leaf and my wife generally commuted in the Leaf, we'd probably end up driving fewer electric miles because we almost always drive beyond range at the weekends.

However, Volt+(>=Leaf) combo would, I think, work out nicely. 2019 is my target year to switch over, hopefully to a long-range BEV that can cover our regular longer trips.

Yes - it all depends on individual circumstances. For us, weekend travel - and travel to Seattle - involves usually between 50 and 70 miles of travel. We now do that in Leaf. Infact we almost exclusively use Leaf for all our travel - using our ICE only when the Leaf is already being used or for long trips (which are exceedingly rare because of small children).

Back to my earlier point - we can't take A set of people and compare them to B set of people - unless we have taken care to make sure they are equal in all other significant variants. It is a case of really bad data science if we blindly compare Volt & Leaf usage without controlling other variables.

Infact, in our two cases - we have chosen the car that fits our needs. If we swap our cars we potentially end up using more gas than we do now (since you will have to rent an ICE to make the trips you can't with Leaf).

We unexpectedly need to replace my wife's R350. Since one of the kids is gone off to college, we're getting a Volt.

If we swapped the Volt for a Leaf I'd drive fewer miles in the Leaf, because after my wife divorced me, I'd move closer to work. :p

Leaf is outselling the volt this year, maybe it's more practice in general. Or maybe it fads as newness wares off and competition builds.

2016-chevrolet-volt-teased-sporting-swirly-camo-87134_1.jpg

http://jalopnik.com/2016-chevy-volt-camouflage-so-secret-that-gm-issues-pre-1640282613

Well, the GM top officials have been loudly stating that the 2016 model is "better in every aspect", I bet that doesn't help sales of the current model either ...

In the USA the major PHEVs' September sales were down all round year-on-year. The Leaf was up. Gas prices have fallen, and that may also have contributed to the drop in PHEV sales.

While there could (and should) be a lot of waiters, I just think that it's a tough market right now because the PHEV buyers who aren't heavily invested in going electric have less reason to make the leap.

Official GM Press Release Volt to get 1.5 L 4 cyl range extender not 1.0 3 cyl

Approximately $1.82 billion in capital has been invested in projects dedicated specifically to vehicle electrification.

• GM’s Brownstown Township facility is the country’s first high-volume lithium-ion battery pack manufacturing site operated by a major automaker.
  • The Chevrolet Volt and Cadillac ELR are assembled at GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant.
  • GM’s Flint Engine Operations will build the 1.5-liter, four-cylinder range extender for the Volt. The unit is part of an all-new engine family.
  • Warren Transmission will build the GM Voltec 4ET50 Multi-Mode Electric Drive Unit, which allows the Volt to drive in pure electric or extended range electric mode.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...nt/Pages/news/us/en/2014/Oct/1028-voltec.html

If GM has spent $1.82 B on Volt,Spark,and ELR their vehicle electrification program is far far from profitability.

New engine is likely more efficient and provides some more power to the generator 1.5L generates 84kW (current 1.4L 64kW). Although it is unclear if they changed the kW rating of the generator (55kW).

I've never driven my Volt across the Rocky's but have meet some pretty long steep hills. I've had NO problem in normal/sport mode (ie. didn't have to use Mountain Mode to reserve more battery before I hit the bottom of the hill).

In normal 45 and less mile days I typically use NO gas. Been a great road trip car as well. Considering a Gen 2 to share the garage with my Model X. Gen 1 would go to another family member.

More USA investing. I was happy to see that.

Since 2009, GM has announced more than $11 billion in investments in the United States, with almost half of that investment committed to Michigan.In addition, GM has worked with its UAW partners to develop initiatives that will lead to more than 22,600 jobs in the United States. This hiring has begun and will continue over the next few years, and many of these jobs will be based in Michigan.Approximately $1.82 billion in capital has been invested in projects dedicated specifically to vehicle electrification.

GM-Volt-Michigan-Investment.jpg

Within the first year of production, about 70 percent of the Volt’s parts will be made in the United States or Canada, which GM believes is the most for a plug-in or conventional hybrid.
Volt Facts

• Since the Volt was launched in 2010, owners driving in pure electric mode have helped reduce gasoline consumption by more than 25 million gallons. [and this part gets brushed aside by pure BEVers]
  • Based on a GM study of more than 300 2011-2012 model year Volts in service in California, many owners exceed the EPA-rated label of 35 miles of EV range per full charge, with about 15 percent surpassing 40 miles of range. [I got 43 yesterday in my smaller battery 2011]
  • Volt owners who charge regularly typically drive more than 970 miles between fill-ups and refuel less than once a month. The 2014 Volt provides owners with EPA-estimated fuel economy of 98 MPGe (electric) and 35 mpg city/40 mpg highway on gasoline power. [don't honestly recall when I filled up last. Used gas a few weeks ago for a sporting event]

Last edited: