Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Berlin production changes coming to Fremont WHEN???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is good info @MP3Mike but I still find it absurd that owners need to spend hundreds on parts to retrofit $60K brand new cars so that they are like cars rolling out of other Tesla factories.

I'm wondering if the parcel shelf for unknown reasons isn't compatible with 7 seat variety and if that plays into things switching over for the Fremont built cars.

I wonder why US customers are getting the short end of the stick? Aren't we Tesla's biggest market to date?
Doesn't matter to them.

It could also be argued that the European and Asian market customers have higher expectations for vehicles at these prices.

Certainly for Germany there is a lot more competition in the EV space than there is in the US market. Germans drive at high speeds on the Autobahn and are notoriously demanding on the fit/finish of cars at any price, let alone at prices that compete with home brands VW, BMW, Mercedes.

Reactions: VegasMYP
This is good info @MP3Mike but I still find it absurd that owners need to spend hundreds on parts to retrofit $60K brand new cars so that they are like cars rolling out of other Tesla factories.

I'm wondering if the parcel shelf for unknown reasons isn't compatible with 7 seat variety and if that plays into things switching over for the Fremont built cars.
Agree. But Tesla has spoiled us with the way they generally handle hardware/software updates. It's a game changing improvement compared to traditional ICE manufacturers:
  • You want higher gas mileage?
  • You want new safety features for your family?
  • You want better performance?
  • You want updated software?
All of the above would have required purchasing a new vehicle... every year! Love that Tesla has completely disrupted the market

Agree. But Tesla has spoiled us with the way they generally handle hardware/software updates. It's a game changing improvement compared to traditional ICE manufacturers:
  • You want higher gas mileage?
  • You want new safety features for your family?
  • You want better performance?
  • You want updated software?
All of the above would have required purchasing a new vehicle... every year! Love that Tesla has completely disrupted the market

There are advantages and disadvantages. Tesla doesn't wait to make improvements, they just introduce them whenever they fit into the pipeline. On the other hand if you buy a BMW, it doesn't matter what factory it is made in, the ones made in South Africa will have exactly the same equipment as the ones built in Munich.

Reactions: Rotarybuddy
Why would anyone expect that Fremont will re-tool to match Berlin....surely if they go to the trouble of re-tooling then they will leapfrog Berlin to incorporate the latest technology...leaving Berlin to catch up

Reactions: X Fan
Why would anyone expect that Fremont will re-tool to match Berlin....surely if they go to the trouble of re-tooling then they will leapfrog Berlin to incorporate the latest technology...leaving Berlin to catch up
You seem to be assuming that retooling would be required. These parts very possibly come from Tesla suppliers and Tesla asks these suppliers to routinely make changes to parts fabrications.

Shanghai initial MY production, as far as I know, did not include the new door panels or the cargo cover and now have both.

Americans are getting the short end of the stick.

You seem to be assuming that retooling would be required. These parts very possibly come from Tesla suppliers and Tesla asks these suppliers to routinely make changes to parts fabrications.

Shanghai initial MY production, as far as I know, did not include the new door panels or the cargo cover and now have both.

Americans are getting the short end of the stick.
Americans aren’t doing too badly...you get first dibs on anything out of Austin

Reactions: johnnycnote
I wonder why US customers are getting the short end of the stick? Aren't we Tesla's biggest market to date?

We have the first Tesla factory here in the US, which means we got cars before most of the rest of the world.... and as a rather obvious side effect as new factories were made - improvements came there first and take time to trickle back to Fremont. This is life. It'll be ok. Fremont cars are excellent, and there will -always- be the-next-great-feature no matter where you get your car or when.

wait until the new mega paint starts coming out of Berlin only :)
Huge change needed at Fremont to make that happen there.
I don't remember seeing anything about Austin getting a similar paint facility to Berlin, maybe I missed it. 🤷‍♂️

And here is a TMC thread from that person on installing the upper trim, which in addition to the shelf is all you need. They still don't know how much the shelf costs in addition to the $140 for the trim:

I wasn't aware Tesla would have retool a plant to install the rear cargo shelf, door panels, and rear laminated glass. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

wait until the new mega paint starts coming out of Berlin only :)
Huge change needed at Fremont to make that happen there.
I don't remember seeing anything about Austin getting a similar paint facility to Berlin, maybe I missed it. 🤷‍♂️

Austin also has a paint shop from Geico Taikisha but it’s not completely clear if it is 100% the same capabilities that went into Giga Berlin.

Reactions: Twiglett