Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready for Model X delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received confirmation a couple of days ago that my Model x has exited production so I'm starting to think about all the things I need to get ahead of delivery in the next month or so.

Telsa Wall Charger
So, far I know that I want to get the Telsa Wall Charger, probably the cheaper 2.5m one as I shouldn't need the longer cable, for £398 (Home charging installation). I've got someone coming around this week from Eastbourne Electrical (Home - electricians in Eastbourne) who are my nearest approved installer to quote on installation. Anyone used these guys before?

CHAdeMo
There aren't many Superchargers around where I live and I'm also planning a road trip in Europe this summer so thinking it's sensible to buy the Tesla CHAdeMO Adapter (Tesla — CHAdeMO Adapter). Seems expensive but probably worth the investment whilst Telsa builds out the Supercharger network in the UK. Anyone bought one of these and was it worth the investment?

I'm also thinking it's worthwhile getting an EU Schuko Adaptor (Shop Tesla Gear — Schuko Adapter) so I can charge directly from the plug sockets where I'm staying as there aren't many chargers nearby. Again seems expensive - does anyone have any experience with these and is it worth getting?

Insurance
I obviously need to look into insurance and there’s a good thread on the forums here (Insuring a Tesla in UK). Looks like Admiral, Direct Line or Elephant are the best bets for me but I’m still surprised few insurers have Tesla or the Model X listed as part of their online applications process. I guess it will get there with time but be great if Tesla offered their own option as well but they seem to have some sort of tie-up with Direct Line here (Insurance For Your Tesla) Apparently there’s a special number you can call - 0800 051 0036. I also heard you can get a 5% discount from Direct Line if you have Autopilot installed as well, but am yet to speak to them about this yet.

There’s also a good spreadsheet to track lots of people’s quotes here: TESLA Insurance Quotes UK. I’ll probably end up going with Direct Line given all the above.

Alloy Gators
I’m getting the 22" Onyx Black Turbine Wheels, which is the first time I’ve ever owned any alloy wheels, so I’m paranoid about not damaging them! From reading around, Alloy Gators seem to be the things to get (AlloyGator - Protect Your Wheels From Kerb Damage) which at £60 + fitting seem pretty reasonable priced. I’ll look to get them professionally installed at my local Carnoisseur (Alloy Wheels and Performance Parts | Carnoisseur).

Car Seat Protectors
I’ve got two young kids that will be in the second row in car seats for a few years and as I’ve gone with the Ultra White Seats and PUP I’m thinking I need some seat protectors! The Prince Lionheart Two-Stage Seatsavers look pretty good from Amazon (Prince Lionheart Two-Stage Seatsaver (Black)) at £21.99 each. They’re rubberised and have a raised lip on the bottom section to catch any mess, so I’m sure they’ll save me a lot of hassle in the long run!

Floor Mats
Similarly, I want to try and keep the floor of the Model X in good condition. My current car has been ruined this winter with muddy boots etc. so I’m looking to get some decent all weather floor mats for the car. Ideally I’d like to get some Lloyd Mats (Custom Fit Car Truck & SUV Floor Mats All Weather and Custom Mats) as they come highly recommended and I like the look of them but can’t seem to find them available anywhere in the UK (think they’re US only). Has anyone managed to get hold of any over here? The other issues would be getting some that fit a RHD Model X!

Another alternative are the ToughPRO mats that you can get at Amazon (ToughPRO Tesla Model X Floor Mats Set - All Weather - Heavy Duty- Black Rubber - 6 Seaters (2016-2017) by ToughPRO). Again, I’ve heard good things but I can’t find a 7-seater version and am unsure whether they’re fitted for RHD models. Has anyone bought these in the UK?

The other option is the Tesla own-brand ones. I know they’re available in the US but does anyone know if they’re available in the UK yet?

Boot Protector
There’s a re-occurring protection theme going on here…but we sometimes have to haul stuff in the boot of our car and so I want to get a good boot liner to protect that as well. The Pettom Water Resistant Car Boot Liner Protector from Amazon looks like a good option at only £28.99 but I haven’t been able to find a specific Tesla Model X version. I’m sure that’s not a massive problem but has anyone bought something like this for their Model X before and have any recommendations?

Detailing & Paint Protection
Lastly, I’ve seen a lot of videos and posts from people that have taken their Tesla Model X to a detailer to get any paint swirls/imperfections fixed as well to get their car’s paint protected. Sounds like this can cost up to £4,000 from people like Topaz (Topaz Detailing) and I’m not sure I can justify the extra expense! I’ve heard Liquid Elements do a good product (Liquid Elements UK) and this post from Will Fealy gives a good account of how he’s had it applied to his Model S (Tesla Model S Liquid Elements 6 layers of ceramic paint protection completed) Has anyone got any other advice on this and whether this is worth it in the long run? This is the first properly expensive car I’ve owned and I want to make sure I look after it!

It would also be great to hear from anyone else who’s going through the same process as I am at the moment and anyone who thinks I’ve missed anything that’s worth considering before I take delivery of the Model X?

• Informative
Reactions: Matt125
Telsa Wall Charger

Charge Port is on the left rear of the car, suggest consider exactly where you will park / facing which way? when deciding the exact spot for the charger. Its a wide car - you might want to take a tape measure and draw a crime-scene-outline! to help you decide. Helps to have WiFi where the car parks (to get OTA updates)

Anyone bought one of these [CHAdeMo] and was it worth the investment?

I bought one. Haven't used it yet ... if i ever have the need to then it will be worth the investment!

Suggest you consider a Type-2 to Type-2 cable as well. The Tesla UMC can't be used with (i.e. doesn't have an adaptor for) Type-2. Although I bought the CHAdeMO when I collected the car, the Delivery guy never mentioned that Type-2 was an optional cable ... my understanding is that the Tesla cable is not expensive (well ... compared to other reputable suppliers!)

Maybe a high-quality extension lead for when you are staying with Friends / Relatives. There's a recent thread on that where @arg gave me some good advice.

Alloy Gators

I think its a good idea, although I read of one person who had them come loose and damage the body work. Refurb of Alloy wheels is not all that dear ...

I want to try and keep the floor of the Model X in good condition.

I just have the whole car Valet'd every few weeks ... the guys arrive in a van and make the car look brand new by the time they leave.

Floor Mats
Boot Protector

This may be worth a look (other useful stuff.accessory-advice on that Blog too)
Are Tesla’s All-Weather Mats worth the price? (£340 price tag)
(although I see you mention Will Fealy, so you've probably already seen those links)

a detailer to get any paint swirls/imperfections fixed

I think that depends how fussy (if that's the right word) you are. Mine was wrapped and they said they'd take care of anything "significant" in the price, but AFAIK they didn't fix anything. Someone more fussy than me might have found swirls etc. that needed sorting out.

I don't know what detailing costs, but I'd spend the money on a wrap instead. £4K will do the whole car, but most people are probably more worried about front-facing surfaces that attract stone-chips (Aluminium/paint reputed to be "softer" than normal [steel] cars), that's half or less. That said, I got a scratch (in the wrap only) on the rear bottom quarter panel - backing against a hedge plant or similar I expect), and some idiot may decide to Key the side panels ...

... if mine was leased I wouldn't bother with any of that jazz !

[have] I missed anything that’s worth considering before I take delivery?

Winter tyres?

not really before delivery but:

Phone APP - I like Remote-S because it connects way WAY faster than the Tesla APP

TeslaFI to log your journeys (also TeslaLog but not sure that still being actively supported). These things won't show you any data retrospectively, so if that sort of thing interests you then suggest you get that running as soon as you can.

Trip / Energy / Recharge location planning:

A Better Routeplanner
EV Trip Planner

PlugShare

Suggest you visit a Supercharger on your way home to figure out what's what (before it is a critical need!). Not that its difficult, of course, just that it made me feel more comfortable. The one thing that was tricky was finding where the Supercharger stalls were! All the ones I've been to are accurately marked on the map, so (now that I know ...) what I do is zoom the map RIGHT IN to help me find them

I just received confirmation a couple of days ago that my Model x has exited production so I'm starting to think about all the things I need to get ahead of delivery in the next month or so.
Telsa Wall Charger
So, far I know that I want to get the Telsa Wall Charger, probably the cheaper 2.5m one as I shouldn't need the longer cable, for £398 (Home charging installation). I've got someone coming around this week from Eastbourne Electrical (Home - electricians in Eastbourne) who are my nearest approved installer to quote on installation. Anyone used these guys before?

Alloy Gators
I’m getting the 22" Onyx Black Turbine Wheels, which is the first time I’ve ever owned any alloy wheels, so I’m paranoid about not damaging them! From reading around, Alloy Gators seem to be the things to get (AlloyGator - Protect Your Wheels From Kerb Damage) which at £60 + fitting seem pretty reasonable priced. I’ll look to get them professionally installed at my local Carnoisseur (Alloy Wheels and Performance Parts | Carnoisseur).

It would also be great to hear from anyone else who’s going through the same process as I am at the moment and anyone who thinks I’ve missed anything that’s worth considering before I take delivery of the Model X?

I was very impressed with my dealings with Eastbourne Electrical as the chap (Glinn) that came to see me was very knowledgeable about Tesla charging. I was happy to use them but I particularly wanted to have an ABL wall unit fitted, a brand that they did not use. In the end I used The Phoenix Works who were exceptionally good for all sorts of reasons.

My S60 is due in March and I will be fitting rim protectors. Some concerns have been expressed about Alloy Gators becoming detached and causing damage to the surrounding bodywork. It looks like I will go with RIMPRO-TEC Wheel Protection as recommended by www.facebook.com/groups/teslaownersuk

Good luck with your research, be sure to let us know your findings.

Charge Port is on the left rear of the car, suggest consider exactly where you will park / facing which way? when deciding the exact spot for the charger. Its a wide car - you might want to take a tape measure and draw a crime-scene-outline! to help you decide. Helps to have WiFi where the car parks (to get OTA updates)

I bought one. Haven't used it yet ... if i ever have the need to then it will be worth the investment!

Suggest you consider a Type-2 to Type-2 cable as well. The Tesla UMC can't be used with (i.e. doesn't have an adaptor for) Type-2. Although I bought the CHAdeMO when I collected the car, the Delivery guy never mentioned that Type-2 was an optional cable ... my understanding is that the Tesla cable is not expensive (well ... compared to other reputable suppliers!)

Maybe a high-quality extension lead for when you are staying with Friends / Relatives. There's a recent thread on that where @arg gave me some good advice.

I think its a good idea, although I read of one person who had them come loose and damage the body work. Refurb of Alloy wheels is not all that dear ...

I just have the whole car Valet'd every few weeks ... the guys arrive in a van and make the car look brand new by the time they leave.

This may be worth a look (other useful stuff.accessory-advice on that Blog too)
Are Tesla’s All-Weather Mats worth the price? (£340 price tag)
(although I see you mention Will Fealy, so you've probably already seen those links)

I think that depends how fussy (if that's the right word) you are. Mine was wrapped and they said they'd take care of anything "significant" in the price, but AFAIK they didn't fix anything. Someone more fussy than me might have found swirls etc. that needed sorting out.

I don't know what detailing costs, but I'd spend the money on a wrap instead. £4K will do the whole car, but most people are probably more worried about front-facing surfaces that attract stone-chips (Aluminium/paint reputed to be "softer" than normal [steel] cars), that's half or less. That said, I got a scratch (in the wrap only) on the rear bottom quarter panel - backing against a hedge plant or similar I expect), and some idiot may decide to Key the side panels ...

... if mine was leased I wouldn't bother with any of that jazz !

Winter tyres?

not really before delivery but:

Phone APP - I like Remote-S because it connects way WAY faster than the Tesla APP

TeslaFI to log your journeys (also TeslaLog but not sure that still being actively supported). These things won't show you any data retrospectively, so if that sort of thing interests you then suggest you get that running as soon as you can.

Trip / Energy / Recharge location planning:

A Better Routeplanner
EV Trip Planner

PlugShare

Suggest you visit a Supercharger on your way home to figure out what's what (before it is a critical need!). Not that its difficult, of course, just that it made me feel more comfortable. The one thing that was tricky was finding where the Supercharger stalls were! All the ones I've been to are accurately marked on the map, so (now that I know ...) what I do is zoom the map RIGHT IN to help me find them

Thanks Wannabe, this is really useful. I'll have a look into that Type-2 connector as well, still trying to get my head around all the different adapters!

I was very impressed with my dealings with Eastbourne Electrical as the chap (Glinn) that came to see me was very knowledgeable about Tesla charging. I was happy to use them but I particularly wanted to have an ABL wall unit fitted, a brand that they did not use. In the end I used The Phoenix Works who were exceptionally good for all sorts of reasons.

My S60 is due in March and I will be fitting rim protectors. Some concerns have been expressed about Alloy Gators becoming detached and causing damage to the surrounding bodywork. It looks like I will go with RIMPRO-TEC Wheel Protection as recommended by www.facebook.com/groups/teslaownersuk

Good luck with your research, be sure to let us know your findings.

Thanks David, think it's Glinn who's actually coming over this week! I'll have a look at RimPro too, good tip!

1) Wall charger

While I very much like the Tesla WC from several points of view (it's a well engineered product at a good price), and would hate to stop you getting one, Tesla have been dragging their heels on getting it approved for the OLEV grant scheme. This means that the Tesla WC is potentially up to £500 more than getting one of the 'standard' chargepoints that do qualify for the grant (even though the list price of the other products is about the same as the Tesla).
The benefits you get for your extra money are:
  • The button on the end of the plug handle to open the chargeport, saving you having to reach in your pocket for the keyfob.
  • Facility to install a 2nd WC such that they share the available power - if you are planning to get a 2nd EV in the future this may be important.
  • If your house has 3-phase power available, the Tesla unit supports this (and hence faster home charging) "as standard". Most of the units on the government scheme do not. However, not many people have 3-phase at home.
  • Styling.
2) CHAdeMO and Type2 cables.

Very much depends on where you live and where you drive to, though the two cables have completely different uses.

CHAdeMO is the "poor man's supercharger" - it is the only other means of charging that's fast enough to get a useful amount of charging while you wait. If all your routes are covered by Supercharging, then you don't need it, but otherwise it's highly valuable. I find I tend to need it for out-and-back day trips on routes that don't naturally pass a supercharger but are only a little beyond single charge range. Long one-way trips can more readily be contrived to pass a supercharger. For me, this tends to mean I'm using CHAdeMO more on business journeys and less on (say) family holidays.

Type2 cable is needed for most public "fast" (ie. actually slow) chargepoints. These are useless for en-route charging, but very convenient (better than supercharging!) if there happens to be one at your destination, allowing you to charge while you are parked anyhow. In my usage, fairly rare but those one or two occasions have made a huge difference compared to having to divert to find a supercharger/CHAdeMO point. For me, this tends to be holiday type mileage rather than business - particularly that top-up charge when staying in a given area for a few days rather than the long haul to get there. On business I'm rarely hanging around the kind of public carparks that would let me destination charge.

3) Boot protection

I have an S rather than an X, but I believe the X has the same feature: I find that I make a lot of use of the 'basement' below the removable panel in the boot. It's particularly handy for putting things like plant pots or anything you don't want to roll around. So bear that in mind if you are looking at a protector that would only cover over the top of that space.

1) Wall charger

While I very much like the Tesla WC from several points of view (it's a well engineered product at a good price), and would hate to stop you getting one, Tesla have been dragging their heels on getting it approved for the OLEV grant scheme. This means that the Tesla WC is potentially up to £500 more than getting one of the 'standard' chargepoints that do qualify for the grant (even though the list price of the other products is about the same as the Tesla).
The benefits you get for your extra money are:
  • The button on the end of the plug handle to open the chargeport, saving you having to reach in your pocket for the keyfob.
  • Facility to install a 2nd WC such that they share the available power - if you are planning to get a 2nd EV in the future this may be important.
  • If your house has 3-phase power available, the Tesla unit supports this (and hence faster home charging) "as standard". Most of the units on the government scheme do not. However, not many people have 3-phase at home.
  • Styling.
2) CHAdeMO and Type2 cables.

Very much depends on where you live and where you drive to, though the two cables have completely different uses.

CHAdeMO is the "poor man's supercharger" - it is the only other means of charging that's fast enough to get a useful amount of charging while you wait. If all your routes are covered by Supercharging, then you don't need it, but otherwise it's highly valuable. I find I tend to need it for out-and-back day trips on routes that don't naturally pass a supercharger but are only a little beyond single charge range. Long one-way trips can more readily be contrived to pass a supercharger. For me, this tends to mean I'm using CHAdeMO more on business journeys and less on (say) family holidays.

Type2 cable is needed for most public "fast" (ie. actually slow) chargepoints. These are useless for en-route charging, but very convenient (better than supercharging!) if there happens to be one at your destination, allowing you to charge while you are parked anyhow. In my usage, fairly rare but those one or two occasions have made a huge difference compared to having to divert to find a supercharger/CHAdeMO point. For me, this tends to be holiday type mileage rather than business - particularly that top-up charge when staying in a given area for a few days rather than the long haul to get there. On business I'm rarely hanging around the kind of public carparks that would let me destination charge.

3) Boot protection

I have an S rather than an X, but I believe the X has the same feature: I find that I make a lot of use of the 'basement' below the removable panel in the boot. It's particularly handy for putting things like plant pots or anything you don't want to roll around. So bear that in mind if you are looking at a protector that would only cover over the top of that space.

Thanks arg, good advice. I definitely need to look into the CHAdeMO vs. Type 2 thing a bit more before making a decision!

Thanks arg, good advice. I definitely need to look into the CHAdeMO vs. Type 2 thing a bit more before making a decision!

I don't think it's an "either or" decision, but one based on your driving profile. I've analysed all the journey's that I would normally do that would potentially fall outside of the cars range, using a worst case scenario (wet,cold etc). EG London - Bournemouth return. 2 x 2 stalls at Badger Farm & Norton Park. Ecotricity sites at Cobham/Fleet/Winchester/Rownhams.

My S 60D will do the return trip with one stop, but I don't want to be limited to Badger Farm/Norton Park which are both busy sites. There are other journeys that I might do where a Supercharger is slightly off route, and I'm happy to pay £6 for 40/50 miles of range rather than a detour. A CHAdeMO gives me this flexibility and peace of mind in unforeseen circumstances. £358 to buy one is the "insurance and convenience premium".

A Type 2 connector is designed for destination charging as they take much longer to deliver a meaningful charge. I don't stay overnight anywhere, or visit places where I'm going to be hanging around for hours at a time. If I go into London I don't drive, so 4 hours charging in a bay isn't of any use to me. The Tesla type 2 cable is £178. I won't buy one straight away, whereas I've already ordered the CHAdeMO.

I have read the experiences of many Tesla owners whose driving profile has changed, EG road trips that wouldn't have been considered before, whether in the UK or Europe. If I find my ownership experience develops in this way then I won't hesitate to but the Type 2 cable.

For me, I want to be in control of the charging stops and not have to adjust my life anymore than necessary. IMO time is the most precious commodity and having a CHAdeMo will give me options, even though I don't expect to use it very often.

That's the thought process I've gone through, hope it helps. :)

Reactions: arg
journeys that I might do where a Supercharger is slightly off route, and I'm happy to pay £6 for 40/50 miles of range rather than a detour

I'd be interested in other people's views but mine, so far, has been:

Detour for up to 15 minutes in order to get to Supercharger (although if range is critical the detour may be counterproductive)

Ecotricity charge £6 for 30 minutes ergo: I'm probably going to persuade myself that I need to stop for the full 30 minutes:oops: and/or all other drivers using that charger will do too and, assuming only a pair of chargers, if they are blocked it will be quite some time before one of them comes free. Whereas a Supercharger is likely to a) not be full and b) if full to have a free stall within a few minutes because people will charge only-just-enough to reach destination.

Ecotricity charge £6 for 30 minutes ergo: I'm probably going to persuade myself that I need to stop for the full 30 minutes:oops: and/or all other drivers using that charger will do too and, assuming only a pair of chargers, if they are blocked it will be quite some time before one of them comes free. Whereas a Supercharger is likely to a) not be full and b) if full to have a free stall within a few minutes because people will charge only-just-enough to reach destination.

You are almost certainly right that many people will stay the full 30 minutes, even if it's not entirely rational (leaving 10 mins early with say 5kWh forgone might then cost 30p to put back that night when you get home, valuing your time at about £1.80/hour). Hopefully Ecotricity will see the error of their ways eventually and start charging in smaller chunks.

However, many routes pass multiple Ecotricity points and so you've the option of pressing on to the next one if your first choice is occupied/broken, especially as the charging rates with CHAdeMO favour stopping relatively early in the journey (opposite of Superchargers that favour stopping when you're close to empty, by which point you're committed to the stop).

Combination strategies are also feasible - for me, many points west have the option of driving cross-country or going down to London and round the M25 (similar nominal journey times but further via the M25 and unpredictable traffic), so I'll usually set out cross-country and hope to pick up a CHAdeMO charge at Oxford or somewhere like that, with the option to come back via the M25 and superchargers if it didn't work out.

I'd be interested in other people's views but mine, so far, has been:

Detour for up to 15 minutes in order to get to Supercharger (although if range is critical the detour may be counterproductive)

I also reserve the right to completely change my point of view when I have some real world experience rather than just this hypothesising :D . Roll on early March!

Right, I've decided to call in at a CHAdeMO on my route home, when SoC won't be critical, just to make sure that I've figured everything out so I don't get in a pickle when I need it for real.

many routes pass multiple Ecotricity points and so you've the option of pressing on to the next one if your first choice is occupied/broken

Good point. I had noticed that there are three on the dual carriageway between Peterborough and Home (East Anglia), but until now I've come South down M1 (30 miles further) to use Northampton supercharger, rather than A1. I really ought to calculate whether a slower CHAdeMO charge somewhere South of Peterborough would be better ... on a return-South trip via the A1 EVTripPlanner has me charge well into the Taper, so over an hour at Barnsley to get to 95% charge, so I might save 30 minutes on charge there and only have to spend 15 minutes at CHAdeMO "further South"

So I'm waiting for my mx which is still in Amsterdam... should be with me by end of Feb I hope

1) wraps... im getting yiannimize to wrap it for about 2,500 and that includes 22in gators - I'll let you know (with pics) how it goes
2) check abstractocean.com they sell phone mounts, and screen protectors

Good point. I had noticed that there are three on the dual carriageway between Peterborough and Home (East Anglia), but until now I've come South down M1 (30 miles further) to use Northampton supercharger, rather than A1. I really ought to calculate whether a slower CHAdeMO charge somewhere South of Peterborough would be better ... on a return-South trip via the A1 EVTripPlanner has me charge well into the Taper, so over an hour at Barnsley to get to 95% charge, so I might save 30 minutes on charge there and only have to spend 15 minutes at CHAdeMO "further South"

Beware that the one at Newmarket is westbound only - good for me but not for you (in that category of chargepoints I hardly ever use but are good to know they are there, about 15/20 miles out on the way home - allows me to cut things finer than I otherwise would having them there as a backup).

But yes, starting from Barnsley I think the A1 is a clear winner - you've already got room 'in the tank' to take on a 30-min CHAdeMO charge by Grantham services, with Peterborough and Boxworth ("Cambridge") as alternates. The 30 miles extra distance to use the Supercharger takes you maybe 30 minutes to drive and uses up 10kWh that will cost you at least a further 5 mins to put back before you take on whatever charge you actually needed. So unless you need to leave Northampton with a high charge level to get to your ultimate destination, that diversion isn't worth it.

Charging 70%-90% takes about the same time on Supercharger as on CHAdeMO, so if your direct-to-home was possible with a 90% charge then it's pretty much equal whether you take on that charge at Barnsley or make an extra CHAdeMO stop later - can make that choice based on refreshment needs.
If you do need to charge beyond 90% for the direct-to-home, then the CHAdeMO stop clearly wins. It also opens up the option of running with less margin - your calculation says 95%, but leave at 90% and see how it goes.

And of course, once they get around to opening an A1 supercharger we can forget all this caculation...

Beware that the one at Newmarket is westbound only

Thanks @arg. I spotted that yesterday doing some better "due diligence" before actually committing to calling in there; I took the trouble to actually register my Ecotricity APP as well. Bit of a pity (for me) as the Newmarket one would be great for "nearly home, but running low". There are a couple South in Cambourne area as an emergency diversion if the Cambridge Extra Services Barhill/Fenstaton one was busy, but one is BMW and the other is not Ecotricity (Polar - not get a Widget for that, as yet), so more hassle involved, but that does mean that Barhill/Fenstaton is my last chance if making it home is getting squeaky! (Maybe I should just divert South to Work location in that instance, albeit only 20 MPH charger ... :) although the 9 mile diversion would be 30 mins charge in itself ...)