Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Fremont, 6/23-24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, I never did get a second invitation to Fremont even though my P number is low enough to warrant an invite. Pretty annoyed at that. Here my husband and I are ready (though not real thrilled) to spend $200K+ on these cars, and only one of us can drive?? It's going to be him, even though I have been 100% of the driving force behind our family's enthusiasm in TM. He just cares more about the handling characteristics and he's more on the fence about getting one. So it's the back seat for me. :-(

That's unfortunate but probably an oversight from Tesla; their software may not have accommodated for two reservations on the same "My Tesla" account (if that's the case with you, Steph) and may have simply done a 1:1 for account->test drive invite. I'm sure you can touch base with TM again and see if they can somehow accommodate you for a second test drive?!

That's unfortunate but probably an oversight from Tesla; their software may not have accommodated for two reservations on the same "My Tesla" account (if that's the case with you, Steph) and may have simply done a 1:1 for account->test drive invite. I'm sure you can touch base with TM again and see if they can somehow accommodate you for a second test drive?!
I recall a conversation/thread that indicated that the Amped Up test drives would be limited to "1 test drive per account" regardless of how many S's are reserved under the account. Can't say its a good policy, but that's what I recall someone saying they were told. This might mean the lack of a second invite wasn't an oversight.

I recall a conversation/thread that indicated that the Amped Up test drives would be limited to "1 test drive per account" regardless of how many S's are reserved under the account. Can't say its a good policy, but that's what I recall someone saying they were told. This might mean the lack of a second invite wasn't an oversight.

Was it to avoid having the Icelandic guy come in and do 100 laps? :tongue:

Seriously, I'm with StephRob. Two drivers, two cars, two test drives. Makes sense. I would reach out to TM on that.

Yeah, whoever came up with the policy for no booster seats, if it does indeed apply to those seats that simply sit in the car and are not attached to the car in any way, has never used one of those seats. Hell, my 4 year-old can install his own booster, get in the car and buckle himself in! If I'm doing it, the whole procedure takes <10 seconds.

I can understand them not wanting people to take the time to install a seat with LATCH tethers (even though many of us have gotten pretty proficient at it) but setting a booster seat in is just that; one simply sets it on the seat and the kid sits on top of it. I can understand the need to move people through but it's not like it's going to be a NASCAR pitstop or something!

My advice to the people who want to bring kids: call them, and explain how the booster you want to use actually works.

As for the legal side of things? Well Tesla's legal team should be made aware of the fact that California and the Federal gov't both have rules that prohibit discrimination based on age which extends to discriminating against families with children. I'm not saying that anyone will, or should, sue over this issue. But from a liability standpoint, not allowing someone to safely buckle their child in with a booster that takes almost no time to install, sounds an awful lot like they simply don't want children at the even and, by extension, families with children. Moreover, Elon's a family man who has repeatedly told us how he wants Model S to be family friends and safe for kids. This seems like a money-where-your-mouth-is moment; Tesla's encouraging families to get this car so they should let the family test drive it! Clearly most people who are going to be taking these test drives will have the means to hire a sitter, but what if they're coming from out of town or, like many of us, have kids who we would like to share this event with!

Sorry to hear about your second reservation test drive, StephRob. Perhaps if both reservations are under the same email address Tesla's algorithm saw that it already sent you a request and therefore didn't send the second one? Hopefully there will be some no-shows or some slack time at the event and you will get to drive, if you let someone know your situation.

I spoke to TM a few days ago and they said that there would be no 3rd row seats available for kids to use on the test drive in Fremont. Not only that, but there would also be no 3rd row seats to even look at in a static car or to test with your kids. I've already got a sitter for my 6 year old and my 9 year old, and I'm OK with that. It means fewer distractions for me and easier to focus on the car. My little kids didn't want to go anyway. My 12 year old, OTOH, is very excited to come for a drive and help mom and dad pick out their cars. Not being able to see the 3rd row at all is a disappointment though. I'm really torn on whether to get it or not. My kids of course really want me to get it, but my 9 year is ginormous and I doubt will fit, which leaves just my 6 year old for a few years of use. I also really want to see how much trunk space they take up when folded.

BTW, I never did get a second invitation to Fremont even though my P number is low enough to warrant an invite. Pretty annoyed at that. Here my husband and I are ready (though not real thrilled) to spend some serious money on these cars, and only one of us can drive?? It's going to be him, even though I have been 100% of the driving force behind our family's enthusiasm in TM. He just cares more about the handling characteristics and he's more on the fence about getting one. So it's the back seat for me. :-( Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that the opportunity for the test drive exists at all and that we're close enough and in town to do so. And I'm glad that someone else gets to go to the event. I just think it would have been nice to extend the invitation to both of us.

Have you called Tesla? They should definitely let both of you drive.

I spoke to TM a few days ago and they said that there would be no 3rd row seats available for kids to use on the test drive in Fremont. Not only that, but there would also be no 3rd row seats to even look at in a static car or to test with your kids. I've already got a sitter for my 6 year old and my 9 year old, and I'm OK with that. It means fewer distractions for me and easier to focus on the car. My little kids didn't want to go anyway. My 12 year old, OTOH, is very excited to come for a drive and help mom and dad pick out their cars. Not being able to see the 3rd row at all is a disappointment though. I'm really torn on whether to get it or not. My kids of course really want me to get it, but my 9 year is ginormous and I doubt will fit, which leaves just my 6 year old for a few years of use. I also really want to see how much trunk space they take up when folded.

There is no substitute for seeing something in person but I just wanted to let you now that when I went to see the Model S a group of us were standing behind the car and looked at the trunk, it was all well and looked completely flat just like on the other pictures we have seen before. My dad being the curious one lifted the hatch in the bottom of the trunk and surprisingly when he opened it the jump seats came out. The space where the jump seats were folded into turns into the footwell for the passengers. Pretty neat :wink:
Tesla 036 - Copy.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the space before they were folded up but i can assure you the seats are hidden away completely when folded down.

Not only that, but there would also be no 3rd row seats to even look at in a static car or to test with your kids.

I would be very surprised if one of the stores near you in NoCal doesn't have a third row to examine. Our one and only Beta in the South Florida store fortunately has the third row, and I've put my kids in it, closed the trunk, folded the seats under (to see trunk space), and even folded the second row of seats to see how much space there was (remembering Elon's promise of a 50" TV plus a surfboard!).

FWIW, I believe that the said it's intended for kids not bigger than 70 lbs., so depending on how big your 6 year old is (or his/her friends), you may still get some good use out of them.

PS -- I also think you should get two test drives, and would suggest calling/e-mailing someone at Tesla to explain your situation.

Here are some of the pics I referenced in my previous post. They are both the size of average 8 year olds (about 55-60 lbs.), and probably have another year or two to sit back there. Also, you can see how the seats fold completely flat and hidden when not in use:

1.26.12.4.JPG
1.26.12.1.JPG
1.26.12.2.JPG
1.26.12.3.JPG

Great pics! Thanks!

Cute kids! Hope you're prepared for them to be the "poster children" for the jump seats go forward :)

Thanks! Actually, if it was just these two I'd probably forego the seats, but I have a third (see below) and young nieces and nephews I'll need to accommodate for years. Like the third row in an SUV, I imagine using it rarely, but on those rare occasions it will come in REALLY handy when we need to transport lots of kids somewhere.

5.20.12.JPG

I spoke to TM a few days ago and they said that there would be no 3rd row seats available for kids to use on the test drive in Fremont.

Double drat.

Not only that, but there would also be no 3rd row seats to even look at in a static car or to test with your kids.

I have seen a static display with the third row seats in a couple stores, just didn't have the prescience to measure them.

The more I consider it, my kids have about 1 to 2 years of being able to fit in the back row anyway. I think this level of support shown by TM for kids is going to sway me out of giving them an extra $1500.
However, if you fold the third row down, it fills in the well; and then folding the second row down, I might be able to roll out a sleeping bag. Can the Model S count as an RV? :biggrin:

This has got to count as off-topic by now... apologies.

Wait till they start making faces at cars that your Model S Sig Perf leaves behind in its wake ;)

Very cute kids and great pics, Arnold!

Thanks! I think I posted these awhile ago, but darned if I know which thread. :redface:

Back (sort of) on topic, in looking at the last picture where my youngest is belted in, it occurs to me why Tesla might not want to have kids riding in the third row during the test drives. The seat belts for the third row are like those found in child seats, I think commonly referred to as 5-point, as opposed to regular seat belts that are 3-point. Different 5-point seat belts work in different ways, and without a LOT of practice on this particular one, it could have significantly slowed down the test drives if people tried to belt their kids into those seats in the back without knowing how these particular ones work. I have years of practice with these and it still took me awhile to get him belted in, and I did it only because he insisted.

So maybe Tesla isn't being non-family friendly, but just trying to keep the lines moving because those seats belts in the third row are definitely going to take some getting used to.