Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Fremont, 6/23-24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That REALLY sucks. I have three kids, and was hoping to have two of them sit in the third row. If there's no third row option in the test cars (still waiting for a reply from my rep, waiting a week now!!!) then I expect to use belt positioners for the two little ones.

Andy, if your children are under 8, it may not be legal to drive in CA without boosters altogether unless they are 4' 9" or taller:

CHP - Child Safety Seat Laws

Tesla may not allow seat belt positioners and such for that reason. And, I think someone did say over on the other test drive thread that Tesla told them that there's not going to be a third row of seats in the test drive cars?!

Received this disappointing email today:

That's too bad :(. Wife will have to stay behind with the kids while I drive. She doesn't care so much - "ride in the back? done that".
Others with kids under 8 (GG, ddenboer, transl8r, etc) were you planning on having the kids along for the ride?

I have to say, this whole "we're a family" is starting to ring a bit hollow about now... OK that we're on a tight schedule, OK that the spouse (and future co-owner) of the car can't drive, OK that we can't take time to strap in child's seat. But the booster seat I'm planning to bring is the loose kind used for occasional travel. No straps, no back, definitely not "protruding", just sit on it to get propped up a bit. It takes same time, probably less, for him to toss that in and strap the seat belt than it would for any normal adult to simply sit down. If they won't allow the booster, I'll chance it and drive him around for 8 minutes without it.

(To be fair, I really think that email was written in of a combination of ignorance of how some booster seats work and a desire to keep the guidelines neat and simple without granularity.)

I challenge anyone on this forum to be more excited about this car than my son. Last October he didn't get to go the factory because "we can only accommodate one guest", but this time he is on my guest list. If he doesn't get to ride, I'll let one of the TM folks tell him that. They might as well tell him Santa died while they're at it...

It may be a matter of timing, not just risk. Installing most seats takes a couple of minutes. ON a tight schedule, and a preset course, that's time they probably would rather not spare. And yes some may be more quickly installed, but once you make an exception, its a slippery slope to where the cutoff line is. You might be able to install it in 1 minute, but others may not be able to. I can understand the disappointment (I'll be in similar situation since I have a 20 MO daughter and thus my wife won't be able to ride since she'll have to stay with her), but I can also understand the limitation here.

It may be a matter of timing, not just risk. Installing most seats takes a couple of minutes. ON a tight schedule, and a preset course, that's time they probably would rather not spare. And yes some may be more quickly installed, but once you make an exception, its a slippery slope to where the cutoff line is. You might be able to install it in 1 minute, but others may not be able to. I can understand the disappointment (I'll be in similar situation since I have a 20 MO daughter and thus my wife won't be able to ride since she'll have to stay with her), but I can also understand the limitation here.

Transl8r is right -- it doesn't take a "minute" to put a booster seat in a car. It doesn't even take 10 seconds. There's nothing to "install". Of course it would be ridiculous to install child seats that attach to the LATCHes in the car for the test drives, but if I were doing a test drive and wanted to bring my kids (and I believe my kids are as excited as Transl8r's, though they'll be away in camp when I get my test drive in Miami), I'd want to bring boosters for them, and I would fully expect Tesla to accommodate that. It's no extra time, but definitely safer for the kids.

Thanks Arnold, spot on.

Some constructive criticism for TM (my last post was a bit of a rant, sorry): Have a couple of these boosters on hand for passengers that need them. That way you know what you're dealing with and that there won't be any delays.

Better yet, have at least one car with much touted rear-facing seats. I would wait extra for that since I'm considering getting that option.

Remember too that this is a test drive for people looking at purchasing the car at a time when Tesla is hard pressed for test drive opportunities. Consequently, it's focused on the driver and adult passengers. I seriously doubt anyone's 7 year old is going to have the key yea/nay vote in purchasing the car. That's not to say I wouldn't care if my kids enjoy the car (I have 3 kids myself, though mostly grown up), but that I wouldn't think their impression is a blocking issue to deciding to purchase.

The "then I'll need a baby sitter so my spouse can ride" is an issue, but arranging baby sitting is a bit outside of Tesla's core business :)

What I really wanted in my test drive though was the ability to compare Perf and non-Perf, to see how much I really can tell. Same with regular vs. premium sound. 19" vs. 21". It doesn't look like I'll get that :(. Well, I'm P2840, so maybe I'll get it before purchase, but not in the Get Amped tour.

Transl8r is right -- it doesn't take a "minute" to put a booster seat in a car. It doesn't even take 10 seconds. There's nothing to "install". Of course it would be ridiculous to install child seats that attach to the LATCHes in the car for the test drives, but if I were doing a test drive and wanted to bring my kids (and I believe my kids are as excited as Transl8r's, though they'll be away in camp when I get my test drive in Miami), I'd want to bring boosters for them, and I would fully expect Tesla to accommodate that. It's no extra time, but definitely safer for the kids.

An attached booster takes time, though, right? Well, an unattached booster may be a liability thing. Remember, they're not driving, so while it's their car, you might do something unexpected--what if they're an accident--etc. I'm just guessing wildly here, and don't want to get stuck in the weeds on what liability issues there may be, but keep in mind each state's a little different, too.

I'm guessing Tesla's description is an attempt to distill several scenarios, reasons, and state laws into one clear, consistent policy, so they don't have on-site arguments about this or that working or not, if they had a convoluted policy, or have people complain about X being okay in this state, or whatever. The KISS principle, especially given ckessel's points about it being aimed at the folks deciding on the purchase.

I wouldn't be surprised if, come August or whenever each store has a car and a more normal test drive setup, if the rules change a bit...or if not then, then perhaps some time down the line in a few more months, when they might even have more than one car per store at some point.

Remember too that this is a test drive for people looking at purchasing the car at a time when Tesla is hard pressed for test drive opportunities. Consequently, it's focused on the driver and adult passengers. I seriously doubt anyone's 7 year old is going to have the key yea/nay vote in purchasing the car. That's not to say I wouldn't care if my kids enjoy the car (I have 3 kids myself, though mostly grown up), but that I wouldn't think their impression is a blocking issue to deciding to purchase.

I know what you're saying, but I think that the reservation holders coming to this event are already "sold". I don't think TM will lose even one reservation based on this test drive experience, do you?

About the event: If anything, I viewed this event as a way to drum up excitement and give reservation holders something to excitedly talk to their friends about, more than a selling opportunity. I thought of it more as a fun event, a way to show appreciation to the reservation holders. If I'm right about that, then bringing kids and family members would be in the spirit of the event, but I suppose I could be wrong.

I know what you're saying, but I think that the reservation holders coming to this event are already "sold". I don't think TM will lose even one reservation based on this test drive experience, do you?
Oh, they'll probably lose a few, though not many. Maybe they don't like the interior. Maybe the car is a lot bigger than they expected (this is one of my concerns, I'm used to smaller cars). I don't think they'll lose very many, but a few will have some pet peeve that turns them off.

I do think it's about drumming up excitement/press/buzz, but I didn't really see it as a way to "show appreciation to the reservation holders". A lot of reservation holders said they weren't going to buy unless they got a test drive, so the test drives are a big part of cementing those reservations into purchases. The test drive might not lose many people, but not having a test drive may have caused quite a few losses or deferrals.

Oh, they'll probably lose a few, though not many. Maybe they don't like the interior. Maybe the car is a lot bigger than they expected (this is one of my concerns, I'm used to smaller cars). I don't think they'll lose very many, but a few will have some pet peeve that turns them off.

I do think it's about drumming up excitement/press/buzz, but I didn't really see it as a way to "show appreciation to the reservation holders". A lot of reservation holders said they weren't going to buy unless they got a test drive, so the test drives are a big part of cementing those reservations into purchases. The test drive might not lose many people, but not having a test drive may have caused quite a few losses or deferrals.
+1

They're trying to shovel a lot of folks through the queue in a short time. I can't think of a single car manufacturer that has done this kind of thing.

Regular test drives will surely be available around mid September.

One thing I'm wondering about: if it's just a drive in a single car, aren't they sort of selling themselves short when it comes to upgrades? If I'm sold on the standard S, perhaps allowing me to drive a perf S right after might sway me...

An attached booster takes time, though, right? Well, an unattached booster may be a liability thing. Remember, they're not driving, so while it's their car, you might do something unexpected--what if they're an accident--etc. I'm just guessing wildly here, and don't want to get stuck in the weeds on what liability issues there may be, but keep in mind each state's a little different, too.

I'm guessing Tesla's description is an attempt to distill several scenarios, reasons, and state laws into one clear, consistent policy, so they don't have on-site arguments about this or that working or not, if they had a convoluted policy, or have people complain about X being okay in this state, or whatever. The KISS principle, especially given ckessel's points about it being aimed at the folks deciding on the purchase.

I wouldn't be surprised if, come August or whenever each store has a car and a more normal test drive setup, if the rules change a bit...or if not then, then perhaps some time down the line in a few more months, when they might even have more than one car per store at some point.
Exactly my thoughts. More clearly articulated.

One thing I'm wondering about: if it's just a drive in a single car, aren't they sort of selling themselves short when it comes to upgrades? If I'm sold on the standard S, perhaps allowing me to drive a perf S right after might sway me...

There will be other chances to test drive after this 'Amped Up' tour event. Yes, perhaps the early folks in line miss that. But the vast majority will still have a chance to evaluate later in all likelihood.

An attached booster takes time, though, right?

There is no such think as an "attached booster". I realize this isn't that fascinating a topic for most people, but there are three kinds of car seats for kids -- (1) infant seats, which are rear-facing, hook into the LATCH-system hooks required in all US cars, and last until the baby is 12 months, (2) car seats, which are front-facing, attach to the LATCH hooks, and usually are used for kids up to about age 4-5, and (3) booster seats, which are basically just seats (some with backs, some without) that you just put into a car so that when the kid puts on the regular seat belt the belt is across their chest and not their neck.

#1 and #2 above require several minutes of installing and uninstalling, and I would never expect Tesla to allow someone to waste time doing so during these short test drives. I loathed dealing with the LATCH seats and am grateful to be done forever with them. A booster (#3), on the other hand, is for older kids (up to age 10) and takes no time at all to throw in (or out) of the back seat before buckling a kid in. Having done this thousands of times over the last several years, I can get a booster seat into a car and a kid strapped in much faster than most every other member of my family can get into a car and strapped in all on their own.

As for liablity etc., it's no different for a kid in a booster than a regular person, other than the fact that in some states it's actually required to have kids at certain ages (or weights) in booster seats, so NOT using a booster seat would actually be putting Tesla at greater legal risk than allowing owners to bring them and put their kids in one.

@Transl8r, my advice is to just show up with the booster seat and just do it -- I don't think they'll have the heart to tell you "no" at that point. Time how long it takes others to get themselves and their guests in and out of the cars, and I'm highly confident that you'll beat their times!

@ckessel, I understand what you are looking for in a test drive (it's very similar to what I'd like to know), but everyone has their own reasons and motivations and things they want to do with their test drive, and no one person's reason is any better than another's. By the time I do mine in late July, it will likely be way too late for me to change anything on my order, yet I'm going to do a ride just for the thrill of it! And, having waited over 3 years, I feel I'm definitely entitled to do so. So if Transl8r or anyone else wants to give their kids a thrill, I've got absolutely no issue with that.

I spoke to TM a few days ago and they said that there would be no 3rd row seats available for kids to use on the test drive in Fremont. Not only that, but there would also be no 3rd row seats to even look at in a static car or to test with your kids. I've already got a sitter for my 6 year old and my 9 year old, and I'm OK with that. It means fewer distractions for me and easier to focus on the car. My little kids didn't want to go anyway. My 12 year old, OTOH, is very excited to come for a drive and help mom and dad pick out their cars. Not being able to see the 3rd row at all is a disappointment though. I'm really torn on whether to get it or not. My kids of course really want me to get it, but my 9 year is ginormous and I doubt will fit, which leaves just my 6 year old for a few years of use. I also really want to see how much trunk space they take up when folded.

BTW, I never did get a second invitation to Fremont even though my P number is low enough to warrant an invite (we're planning on getting one for my husband and one for me). Pretty annoyed at that. It's going to be him doing the driving, even though I have been 100% of the driving force behind our family's enthusiasm in TM. He just cares more about the handling characteristics and he's more on the fence about getting one. So it's the back seat for me. :-( Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that the opportunity for the test drive exists at all and that we're close enough and in town to do so. And I'm glad that someone else gets to go to the event. I just think it would have been nice to extend the invitation to both of us.

Last edited: