Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

German bill requires CCS and L2 plugs at every new fast charge point.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the 13 page version with additional juicy details:
(for those who can read german/use a translator)

http://tff-forum.de/download/file.php?id=7382

If this gets past as is, seems like the death of free 3 phase charging.

Example: Cost for Tesla (including current superchargers)
€310 for the first certification and €250 for renewal every 2-3 years per supercharger stall.
Plus €22.90 per notice in administrative charges.

What's the cost for?
Short version: nothing.
Long version: Bureaucracy. To certify that they meet the requirements listed in § 4
Die Kosten für die Wirtschaft, die sich aus der Anzeige des Aufbaus und der
Außerbetriebnahme von Normal- und Schnellladepunkten gemäß § 4 Absatz 1 sowie der
Anzeige des Betriebs eines Schnellladepunktes gemäß § 4 Absatz 3 ergeben, werden bis zum
Jahr 2020 voraussichtlich etwa 811 000,00 Euro betragen. Es wird davon ausgegangen, dass
sich die Kosten einer Anzeige auf jeweils maximal 22,90 Euro belaufen, was einer halben
Arbeitsstunde nach Maßgabe der durchschnittlichen Vergütung eines Arbeitnehmers in der
Energiewirtschaft entspricht.

Bei 7 000 zu errichtenden Schnellladepunkten belaufen sich die Kosten der Wirtschaft für die
Erstprüfung gemäß § 4 Absatz 2 Nummer 1 bis zum Jahr 2020 auf maximal 2 170 000,00 Euro.
Es wird davon ausgegangen, dass die Kosten für die Erstprüfung gemäß § 4 Absatz 2 Nummer
1 bei Wechselstrom-Schnellladepunkten circa 250,00 Euro pro Ladepunkt betragen werden. Bei
Gleichstrom-Schnellladepunkten wird von Kosten für eine Erstprüfung gemäß § 4 Absatz 2
Nummer 1 in Höhe von circa 310,00 Euro pro Ladepunkt ausgegangen.

Hinzu kommen Kosten für Wiederholungsprüfungen für Schnellladepunkte gemäß § 4 Absatz 2
Nummer 2. Unter Zugrundelegung eines zwei- bis dreijährigen Prüfintervalls belaufen sich die
Kosten für die Wirtschaft auf maximal 2 100 000,00 Euro. Bei WechselstromSchnelladepunkten
werden hierfür voraussichtlich Kosten in Höhe von circa 170,00 Euro pro
Ladepunkt anfallen. Die Kosten einer Wiederholungsprüfung gemäß § 4 Absatz 2 Nummer 2 für
Gleichstrom-Schnellladepunkte werden derzeit auf circa 250,00 Euro pro Ladepunkt geschätzt.
Es wird davon ausgegangen, dass die Anzahl der Schnellladepunkte gleichförmig bis zum Jahr
2020 auf 7 000 steigt, sodass pro Jahr circa 1 400 Schnellladepunkte errichtet werden.

By 2017 it appears Tesla will have already largely built out its supercharger network in Germany. So does it really matter?

I do think that Tesla will eventually need a CCS adapter - like the CHAdeMO adapter they are currently developing. Though assuming most new non-Tesla/non-dealership fast charge stations will have both CCS and CHAdeMO connections, maybe just the CHAdeMO adapter will suffice for a long time?

By 2017 it appears Tesla will have already largely built out its supercharger network in Germany. So does it really matter?

I do think that Tesla will eventually need a CCS adapter - like the CHAdeMO adapter they are currently developing. Though assuming most new non-Tesla/non-dealership fast charge stations will have both CCS and CHAdeMO connections, maybe just the CHAdeMO adapter will suffice for a long time?

I do not think it will be tripple chargers in Germany. Just CCS and Type 2 :-(

There is no way, we will need a CCS-Tesla Adapter :-(

I do not think it will be tripple chargers in Germany. Just CCS and Type 2 :-(

There is no way, we will need a CCS-Tesla Adapter :-(

Right now there looks to be about 75 CHAdeMO chargers in Germany - per the map at chademo.com. When, not if, at some point there are hundreds or even thousands of CCS chargers it would behoove Tesla to make such an adapter available. Same as the current situation in Japan with CHAdeMO.

I was wondering when the EU directive will kick in and contradict with Tesla's EU superchargers, so I guess 2017 is the date. The directive doesn't specify how you do the subscription service, so I assume in the future all Tesla has to do is have all owners have a free (or bundled with the "value" included in the car price) subscription to the chargers and then provide a CCS connector there (that will be unused).

I think Tesla will probably lobby though for some kind of exception as their network is a very special case.

The EU directive mandates "non-discriminatory access" so they can't charge them more than Tesla owneres.

OK, that's fine. 2500 one time fee just as everyone else already pays. I don't see a problem there.

Germany seems pretty covered as it is anyway... Worst case the expansion just stops. I mean I know they want to add more to the network over time... But if they are stuck with what they have then this is a decent place to be stuck, at least for a few years.

As a side... They could stick the CCS connectors on there and then make them only work with Tesla cars. I mean we know there is a handshake that happens with the car. I haven't read the whole thing (mostly because google translate misses a few nuances that a reap translation would be better at) but assuming it just says that it has to have the CCS connector and nothing else then they could throw the connectors on there and then they still won't work with any other car. Aren't the Superchargers using the same type 2 plug as everything else Tesla charging in EU? So I mean, what is stopping someone with a Type 2 plug from currently trying to plug in to a Supercharger? Seems like the only issue is that CCS connectors would be there giant aweful plugs that would mess up the design of the car if they have to swap the port out in the future...

I really can't see how this can be legal. As long as the chargers are:
* Privately financed - no support or subsidy from the state, country or EU.
* Is on private or leased land, not owned by the state, country or EU.
* Do not charge money for the electricity. The *access* to the chargers are prepaid, and no one pays for the power used.
I don't see that they have any rights to make demands like this.

But, it would possibly not be the first time someone makes an illegal law. Yes, not even in Germany - Yes, not even in Germany based on a directive from the European Union (Data Retention Directive) :p

I don't think the physical form factor is the biggest issue. The biggest issue is potentially having lower power cars hogging the stations. That's something the 2500 fee won't solve.

- - - Updated - - -

I really can't see how this can be legal.
Easy. They can require it as part of permitting of DC charging installations. Much like everything even on private property has to follow electrical code, it is still under the government jurisdiction to require something like this. Just like some laws that are being pushed that require all new construction building to be pre-wired for charger installation, for example. The only way around is to have a reasonable justification for exemption.

I don't think the physical form factor is the biggest issue. The biggest issue is potentially having lower power cars hogging the stations. That's something the 2500 fee won't solve.
I guess it would solve it just fine: Europe Exceeds 700 CCS Chargers Installed!
Who would want to pay 2500 to go to SC if there is planty of CCSs around.

Or what am I missing here?