Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GenIII, "We really need to find a better name for it"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Model E is to stand for "electric", "everyone", etc., what did the Model S stand for? As far as I'm aware, it was "sedan". The Model X for crossover. This next car will be a mid-sized sedan, so I'm thinking (in keeping with the nomencalture so far), Model M.

Model M still my favorite.

But... Being GenIII what about naming it Model 3 or Model III. Also gives a not so subtle smack to BMW M3. hehehe

At this point I think we should make a poll among TMC members.The poll could be like this:

Would you like GenIII be named:

1 Model E

2 Model M

3 Model T

I don't think it useful to put numbers in the multiple choice. It is very clear that Tesla is going to use letters for next cars (Model S, Model X, Model R and so on).

At this point I think we should make a poll among TMC members.The poll could be like this:

Would you like GenIII be named:

1 Model E

2 Model M

3 Model T

I don't think it useful to put numbers in the multiple choice. It is very clear that Tesla is going to use letters for next cars (Model S, Model X, Model R and so on).

Yes, a poll would be great. Then I could vote for Model E (E=for everyone)

How about Model 3? Kinda looks like an E. Also a nod at BMW 3-series. I suppose, technically, it should be Model 4 (Roadster, S, X, ...), an in one better than 3-series. :smile: I also like Model M ('cause I'd like to see a Model M Perf as an M3-killer). M for Mass Market, Mid-size Monster.

I bet if Tesla could make a flying car, figuring something out with Ford regarding the name would be child's play.

Don't dig up the flying car, please! 20 years ago, I was all excited about Arthur Moeller's work out in Davis, CA. Now, I can see that the flying car is a legal nightmare. I'm still a little heartbroken about how this panned out. We won't see flying cars, unless every driver gets a pilot's license.

After 7 days with my Model S, I can say that energy density for batteries would have to be wicked for that to make any sense.

How about Model 3? Kinda looks like an E. Also a nod at BMW 3-series. I suppose, technically, it should be Model 4 (Roadster, S, X, ...), an in one better than 3-series. :smile: I also like Model M ('cause I'd like to see a Model M Perf as an M3-killer). M for Mass Market, Mid-size Monster.

Model M for "Mass Market Mid-size Monster" sounds good to me:smile:

Based on Tesla’s third-generation platform, Musk vowed the car will “look great and perform better than anything in its price range,” adding that it will not be called the Model E. “I was joking when I said ‘Model E,’” Musk told Wired.

This means nothing. I can't tell you how many times companies officially deny something then to later confirm it. At one point, Cadillac said naming for the ATS "had not yet been officially determined" to later introduce...surprise....the Cadillac ATS. E, G, J would all be fine. As long as it's quick, stylish and $45k or less, I'll be happy.

This means nothing. I can't tell you how many times companies officially deny something then to later confirm it. At one point, Cadillac said naming for the ATS "had not yet been officially determined" to later introduce...surprise....the Cadillac ATS. E, G, J would all be fine. As long as it's quick, stylish and $45k or less, I'll be happy.
While generally speaking, I agree. In the original interview it was clear to me that the 'E' was a joke, in light of the known 'S' and 'X' models.

T-1000.
t1000.jpg

So far we've got Roadster, Model S (Sedan), and Model X (Crossover). Following the current nomenclature Model T would be a Truck. However that name is too closely tied to Ford, in my opinion. Model C makes me think "Camry" which makes me think boring and uninspiring. I'm not sure what the general, non-enthusiast public would think on "Model C", though, so it could work.

Model M (for "many", "multitude", "masses") and Model G (general (public)) could work as well but both of them make me think of other carmakers (BMW and Infiniti, respectively). Despite that I do like Model M as a name for the mass market car.