Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy smokes I don’t believe it. We’ve reached critical mass. Elon is front and center on the “alt-right” (as some call it) website drudgereport.com.

It links to ny post article that calls Elon’s behavior bizarre. Wtf is going on in this world that people can’t see what’s happening?

https://nypost.com/2018/07/19/elon-musks-bizarre-tweets-are-raising-red-flags-on-wall-street/

I get it, ny post is own by the Murdoch family but drudge gets a crazy amount of views on the site, only bound to keep spreading the damn fud.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
New China
1f1e8-1f1f3.png
gov EV subsidy policy related with Tesla Part 2

here is my tweets (total 5) : vincent on Twitter

Anyone else finds it funny that it's the skepticals that are proving that Model 3 production is on track? First through the numbers from @skabooshka and now with video of the huge car distribution center that @ISpyTesla got.

I'm mystified at what they think they've found. Is this part of the insufficient demand narrative? Or are these cars thought by them to be unsalable because of missing parts or defects?

I'm mystified at what they think they've found. Is this part of the insufficient demand narrative? Or are these cars thought by them to be unsalable because of missing parts or defects?

Quick summary: These are the "factory gated" cars needing rework that Tesla used to cheat the numbers in the last week of the previous quarter. They are also not allowed to sell them because they failed "state inspections" and obviously there is no demand, so Tesla puts them in a lot in the sun where the screens will all melt (because their cars are not designed to be parked outside, I presume). Soon they will be shipped to the Bermuda Triangle to make room for more half-built hand-made tent-cars to be put in this lot and continue the Ponzi scheme.

Definitely does not have to do with the logistics of shipping almost a thousand cars per day and trying to delay deliveries for a few weeks to maximize tax credit availability.

BTW: Anyone know any good tin foil stocks? The demand for tin foil hats seems to be rising even faster than Tesla's production numbers.

Quick summary: These are the "factory gated" cars needing rework that Tesla used to cheat the numbers in the last week of the previous quarter. They are also not allowed to sell them because they failed "state inspections" and obviously there is no demand, so Tesla puts them in a lot in the sun where the screens will all melt (because their cars are not designed to be parked outside, I presume). Soon they will be shipped to the Bermuda Triangle to make room for more half-built hand-made tent-cars to be put in this lot and continue the Ponzi scheme.

Definitely does not have to do with the logistics of shipping almost a thousand cars per day and trying to delay deliveries for a few weeks to maximize tax credit availability.

BTW: Anyone know any good tin foil stocks? The demand for tin foil hats seems to be rising even faster than Tesla's production numbers.

Just wait til they ship all of the cars. "Thousands of Model 3s go missing!!"

Hopefully Tesla will post awesome July Model 3 SALES. I am hoping well above 20,000 cars. Selling north of 20,000 will put a serious dent into two large FUD foundations. First that Tesla can not make the cars or if they do it is just a short term burst rate needing lots of rework. And the second is the lack of demand argument. If Tesla can keep sales north of 20,000 for a few months both arguments should be put to rest and as such we should then be celebrating a short roast.

Hopefully Tesla will post awesome July Model 3 SALES. I am hoping well above 20,000 cars. Selling north of 20,000 will put a serious dent into two large FUD foundations. First that Tesla can not make the cars or if they do it is just a short term burst rate needing lots of rework. And the second is the lack of demand argument. If Tesla can keep sales north of 20,000 for a few months both arguments should be put to rest and as such we should then be celebrating a short roast.

I do hope they mention this number in CC (right on my birthday, so would be a good gift :D). But they haven't ever in the past I believe.

It should easily be way more than 20k in July = 12k from end of June transit + 3 weeks of production (counting last week of production as transit) = 12k + 15k = 27k. Coincidentally that's the production total of Q2. Now sold in one month. This doesn't require any further comment.

EDIT: OK, I forgot shutdown. It would be less then, let's say 22k-24k.

RE: Discussion about the large holding areas for model 3s. Tesla has a different model than ICE dealerships. Tesla sells direct to the customer and has a limited number of smaller area for parking SCs. ICE dealerships are the 'holding areas' for ICE cars from the manufacturers.

In Delaware there are also many dealerships that have parking areas on open land/parking lots that are not part of the dealership lots to 'store' excess inventory.

Bears are comparing apples to oranges.....again.

RE: Discussion about the large holding areas for model 3s. Tesla has a different model than ICE dealerships. Tesla sells direct to the customer and has a limited number of smaller area for parking SCs. ICE dealerships are the 'holding areas' for ICE cars from the manufacturers.

In Delaware there are also many dealerships that have parking areas on open land/parking lots that are not part of the dealership lots to 'store' excess inventory.

Bears are comparing apples to oranges.....again.

And OEMs aim for 60-70 days of unsold inventory sitting on dealer lots.
Tesla has sub 14 days of spoken for cars on their way to committed buyers.

I recently finished reading The Everything Store – Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon.” I didn’t know much about the history of Amazon so it was quite enlightening. While looking back it is easy to assume that Amazon’s great success was a foregone conclusion, nothing could be farther from the truth. There were many failures, crisis points, and near death experiences. Sounds like Tesla, right? In fact I was amazed at the number of similarities between what Tesla has gone/is going thru and the earlier days of Amazon. Here’s what I found, supported by some passages from the book.

- Amazon needed outside capital in order to fund its growth. While the bear narrative whenever a Tesla bull tries to compare the two companies is that Amazon grew only by investing cash flow from operations, that is not true.

To open new categories and build new warehouses, Amazon needed more than a plan; it needed additional capital. So that May [1998] the company raised $326 million in a junk-bond offering, and the following February, another $1.25 billion in what was at the time the largest convertible debt offering in history…In those highly carbonated years, from 1998 to early 2000, Amazon raised a breathtaking $2.2B in three separate bond offerings.

Note that Amazon’s revenues were only $2.8B in 2000, up from $600M in 1998.

- Amazon could have gone bankrupt during the dotcom crash.

In February [2000] Amazon sold $672 million in convertible bonds to overseas investors…Amazon was forced to offer a far more generous 6.9 percent interest rate and flexible conversion terms…Without that cushion, Amazon would almost certainly have faced the prospect of insolvency over the next year.

- Amazon’s financial situation was under attack by negative Wall Street analysts for a long time.

Working from Amazon’s latest quarterly earnings release, Suria [Lehman Brothers] analyzed the heavy losses of the previous holiday season and concluded that the company was in trouble, and in a widely disseminated research report, he predicted doom.

“From a bond perspective, we find the credit extremely weak and deteriorating,” he wrote in what would be the first of several scathing reports on Amazon over the next eight months. Suria said that investors should avoid Amazon debt at all costs and that the company had shown an “exceedingly high degree of ineptitude” in areas like distribution. The haymaker was this: “We believe that the company will run out of cash within the next four quarters, unless it manages to pull another financing rabbit out of its rather magical hat.”`

`For the next eight months, Ravi Suria continued to pummel Amazon with negative reports…those who felt the coming wave of changes threatened their businesses, their sense of the natural order, even their identities, were likely to embrace the sentiments of Suria and like-minded analysts and believe that Amazon.com was nothing more than a crazy dream built on an irrationally exuberant stock market.

- Like Elon’s epiphany that Tesla needed to be a leader in manufacturing, Bezos came to the conclusion rather later that distribution/fulfillment needed to be a core competency for Amazon.

Bezos and Wilke were asking themselves a fundamental question that seems surprising today. Should Amazon even be in the business of storing and distributing its products?...At the end of the day, Bezos Wilke and their colleagues reached a conclusion: the equipment and software from third-party vendors simply wasn’t designed for the task at hand…Amazon would have to rewrite all the software code. Instead of exiting the business of distribution, they had to reinvest in it. Over the next few years, “one by one, we unplugged our vendors’ modems and we watched as their jaws hit the floor. They couldn’t believe we were engineering our own solution.”

- Like Musk, Bezos is extremely demanding and hard to work for. Executive and management turnover was/is very high, probably higher than at Tesla.

Over the next year Amazon executives quit in droves... Some were tired and just wanted a change. Others felt Bezos didn’t listen to them and wasn’t about to start…The company reached incredible levels of attrition in 2002 and 2003…People left and afterward they took a breath and felt disoriented, like they had escaped a cult. Though they didn’t share it openly, many just couldn’t take working for Bezos any longer.

- Unions tried unsuccessfully to organize at Amazon, just like at Tesla.

Over the years, unions like the Teamsters and the United Food and Commercial Workers ried to organizew associates in Amazon’s U.S. FCs, passing out flyers in the parking lots and in some cases knocking on the dorrs of workers’ homes….”The number one thing standing in the way of Amazon unionization is fear.” Employees are “afraid they’ll fire you – even though it’s technically not legal.”

I’m not trying to say the Amazon and Tesla are equivalent. But I believe that to build a disruptive company, especially in a large, historically low margin business, you need a ruthless visionary tyrant who is willing to bet the company multiple times to reach the audacious goals that must be met in order to succeed. The result: management burnout and high turnover, many more non-believers than believers, attacks on many fronts by those you stand to lose from the disruption, etc. So this movie has been seen before, just not very often.

I would say the big difference between Amazon and Tesla, is that Tesla is working on building cars which is a 100 times more difficult business than using computers to replace brick and mortar stores. So Bezos is now focused on even higher margin businesses where he can replace humans with computers. Great for business profit and growth, but not necessarily good for society if the billions in profits and capital appreciation are not reinvested into creating new jobs for people. Just my 2 cents.

I would say the big difference between Amazon and Tesla, is that Tesla is working on building cars which is a 100 times more difficult business than using computers to replace brick and mortar stores. So Bezos is now focused on even higher margin businesses where he can replace humans with computers. Great for business profit and growth, but not necessarily good for society if the billions in profits and capital appreciation are not reinvested into creating new jobs for people. Just my 2 cents.

And that doesn't mean 400,000 warehouse jobs where people work in really hot and cold warehouses with no HVAC getting payed $12,000 per year. and meanwhile forcing retailers like Macy's who's workers are treated with dignity and respect are forced to close stores every year. Not the best for society. Again, just my 2 cents.

Anyone else finds it funny that it's the skepticals that are proving that Model 3 production is on track? First through the numbers from @skabooshka and now with video of the huge car distribution center that @ISpyTesla got.

Of course, you forgot the mantra that Tesla loses money on every car they sell, so the more they sell the faster they go bankwupt -- at least that's their "logic"

You also forgot that above mentioned mantra...

Status
Not open for further replies.