Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Powertrain Speculation (based on current drive units)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. But as shown by the list in the post I was replaying to, it was a big gap between the low-end "221 hp Model 3 XX 221 hp rear motor" and the next possible configuration "376 hp Model 3 XXD 188 hp front, 188 hp rear motor". It may be reasonable to fill this gap with a around 300hp configuration with about 150hp front and rear. And that without constructing a new motor. That was I had in mind.
The gap in horsepower is irrelevant. What matters is if there is a gap in the price range, because you want each buyer to stretch as much as possible for the next step up. And this gap in the price range will be there if you have two 150 hp motors that are almost identical to the 188 hp motors, or two 188 hp motors.

You can basically choose between:

221 hp Model 3 XX 221 hp rear motor = ~35,000 USD
376 hp Model 3 XXD 188 hp front, 188 hp rear motor = ~40,000 USD

Or:

221 hp Model 3 XX 221 hp rear motor = ~35,000 USD
300 hp Model 3 XXD 150 hp front, 150 hp rear motor = ~39,500 USD

Tesla would be far better off going for the former option because most people would be willing to pay 500 USD for an extra 76 hp - that's extremely good value for money.

The gap in horsepower is irrelevant. What matters is if there is a gap in the price range,

Obviously, and it was well really what I was referring to, although I only mentioned horsepower.

My point was not that it would necessarily get an engine configuration at just exactly 150hp, but that they are not limited to the numbers 188 and 221. If they have the ability to increase the performance of some of these engines is unknown (but possible!), but we know with certainty that they can reduce them to get the desired performance in horsepower and torque for every price range they want to sell in.

So one is not limited to guess at various combinations of 188 and 221 (or for that matter sake 380) horsepower although sticking to the thread topic of "based on current drive units". Any combination of one or two engines where no motor exceeds 221hp will in my opinion be valid (although there are limits to how far down you can believe they will go).

I'm sorry I'm not sure how much clearer I can be than to say "Pick 2 or 3 from the list". What part of that is confusing?

You're operating on the assumption that one of the currently-existing or publicly-announced motors is what will be used in the Model 3. While that's quite probable, it's certainly not a foregone conclusion. I only put those figures out there for ballpark numbers that I think most consumers would expect in that market segment in price range, not necessarily specific outputs. No need to go thermo-nuclear on me! :rolleyes:

You're operating on the assumption that one of the currently-existing or publicly-announced motors is what will be used in the Model 3. While that's quite probable, it's certainly not a foregone conclusion. I only put those figures out there for ballpark numbers that I think most consumers would expect in that market segment in price range, not necessarily specific outputs. No need to go thermo-nuclear on me! :rolleyes:

1. I listed a ton of options (the list is up to 7 now) and said pick 2 or 3 of them
2. you said
I don't think there will be quite that many powertrain variations on the Model III. I think there will probably be three.
3. I asked what part of pick 2 or 3 confused you.
4. you post about publicly announced motors without addressing the pick 2 or 3 vs you think 3.

You may not see it as confusion but my first read is that you ignored the pick two or three statement and thought I was suggesting there would be a ton of various models. I simply replied to make it clear I don't think there will be a ton of various models.