Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Model 3 Drive Unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I recently came across this video by MotorBiscuit explaining common issues with the early-model Tesla large drive units. In the video, he explains the motors with the common issue of leaking coolant inside, causing catastrophic failures, were present in the RWD or Performance Model S and X.

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with similar issues to this present in the 2018 LR 3? This is what I have, and I haven’t really been able to dig up any issues or preventative maintenance that should be looked out for. I’m big on stuff like this, so I like to know all I can. Thanks in advance!

I'm the guy in that video ;). ONLY Large Drive Units are affected by this issue, so no worries when it comes to your Model 3.
LDUs were only used in:
- Almost all RWD Versions of Model S (apparently with the exception of some later versions of S60, though I haven't confirmed this 100%)
- Performance Versions of both Model S and X, up until the newest "Palladium" refresh (~mid 2021)
- Toyota RAV4 EV (modified for reverse rotation, and added parking pawl)
- Mercedes B-Class ED/B250e (same mods as RAV4)

In the last 4-5 months, Tesla has released a revised version of the LDU (Rev-U) that completely deletes the rotor cooling circuit. We at QC Charge had been working on a modification to switch the rotor to oil cooling, but made a few small changes to out design so that the replacement manifold can be used either as a rotor cooling delete (available now, though currently backordered due to high demand), or with oil cooling for the rotor for folks with "high power demand" applications (currently in the final stages of development).