Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivetrain tuning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gday, whats the summary of where things are at with Model 3 Performance drive units with tuning?

Some broad ponderings Ive had

If we assume 2023 M3P: The front drive unit doesnt seem up to the tuning level of the gen 4 drive unit. Rear drive has more power by a significant margin. Thoughts have wandered on front vs rear dimensions and feasibility of the stator and the like in a custom retrofit?

Anyone fiddled on say an axial flux swap and then adapters to mate to the drivetrain?

Less extreme things like tuning by getting into the drivetrain invertor and software and seeing what might be done there at say some sacrifice in heat or reliability etcetc

Thoughts?

That no one has been able to tune anything on a model 3. The only "tuning" so far has been a couple of companies tricking the car into thinking its a different model, to simulate another Tesla offering on the same motors drivetrain.

Things like installing a bypass thing to tell a model 3 LR its a P so that it has P acceleration. there has been no aftermarket tuning to get more motor output that I have seen. These are not the cars for tuning like ICE vehicles.

Many thanks GTIMart and jjrandorin. Appreciate the overview of where things are at.

These are not the cars for tuning like ICE vehicles.
Hmmm curious. Dont think thatll be a long term landscape. I can see an aftermarket forming on things like control systems for things with aftermarket powertain allowing for motor swaps and custom configs etc, maybe PCS and BMS in a similar vein etcetc. All sporting additional cooling etc

I see the situation as a lack of money and time not an engineering problem.

For example an easy place to arrive is in noting that the Model 3 P front drive unit its super high output and its unlike the Model S refresh where the front motor in the model S is the same high output tech as the rear. I can see progressive thinking folk eyeing that off for the M3P aftermarket,

Another example. Say an earlier Model 3 owner is into some sort of motorsport and its a road car too no trailer queen. They might find some decent salvage rear drive unit from a wreck with low odometer with the hairpin stator and all the Gen 4 rear drive unit benefits and want to swap out their older less efficient drive - without even getting into wear and remaining life considerations of the original older rear drive unit,