Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 Wall Connector temperature sensor issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using Tesla Gen 2 Wall Connector for more than 4 years now and in recent year or so it started to develop sporadic issues...
1. Sometimes current gets reduced to 24A and single yellow light blinks once in a while - according to the troubleshooting manual it is "Charging current is reduced due to high temperature detected in the Vehicle Connector"
2. Sometimes charging stops completely and Tesla port shows red logo. Inside the car I get a message that charging disabled due to high temperature in the handle

As far as I can tell handle stays cold and there are no actual temperature issues - at least on the surface.
This happens randomly - sometimes every day, sometimes every week, sometimes every month. No issues with AC or DC charging elsewhere.

Power cycling Wall Connector tends to resolve the issue for some time.

Anyone had this issue?
Is charger replacement the only solution?

Tesla support is not being helpful at all - "your charger is out of warranty, go away"

P.S. I always had a bit of voltage drop during charging - it goes from 240V down to 218V-220V but as far as I understand this should still be acceptable range and cannot affect temperature sensor in the handle

Last edited:
Gen 2 chargers are prone to damaged/stretched wires causing a few different problems, normally this is at the plug end, unfortunately, Tesla doesn't repair or supply new leads, I have fitted generic type 2 leads to them but it's not really an economical procedure, I have only done this as we had some installed at work and I was curious to what was causing the issues we were having.

Actually when it's raining the water does "ooz" from the plastic cover around the button when I press it. Is that not normal?
Inside the socket everything is dry.
I had that (water ooz from the button) on my previous TWC and that was replaced under warranty when it was 1 year old. I did try "drying out" the connector but it didn't help. On the replacement, I wrapped PVC insulating tape (2 times) around the connector to try and give it some protection from the elements. So far, 3 years on it's still working fine...

1709213699970.png

I had that (water ooz from the button) on my previous TWC and that was replaced under warranty when it was 1 year old. I did try "drying out" the connector but it didn't help. On the replacement, I wrapped PVC insulating tape (2 times) around the connector to try and give it some protection from the elements. So far, 3 years on it's still working fine...

View attachment 1023158

This is an excellent idea!
Once it dries up I'll do similar wrapping.

View attachment 1023158

I did similar but was a bit more selective with the tape using narrow Gorilla tape (duck tape is not waterproof) along the edges of the plastic cover after having first allowed the plug to dry out during a warm dry spell. We never actually had an issue but did the above to mitigate against any issues when the plug started oozing indicating water ingress that was likely to lead to a future problem.

That was 2-3 years ago, no oozing since.