Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 Wall Connector Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I just bought a Gen Two Wall Connector on eBay but the charging is much slower than the old mobile connector I used. My car is a 2019 SR+ Model 3 and the plug is set to pull 50 amps.

Is it trying to pull too much power, resulting in a decrease in charge?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2EB93B61-DDC4-477D-BCFA-92E5A16680EB.jpeg
    2EB93B61-DDC4-477D-BCFA-92E5A16680EB.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 4B78B805-097D-4624-A82A-B3317E5AD533.jpeg
    4B78B805-097D-4624-A82A-B3317E5AD533.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 82
You can only pull 40 amps from a 14-50 plug continuous. 80% of rated power. Set the HPWC to 40 amps.

Check to see that the car is set to charge at 40 amps.

Check the wiring behind the plug. You should have #6 copper wire.

Check to see how the car ramps up the power use and check the connection.

Reactions: El joe
Yeah, because my car is an SR+ it'll only pull 32 amps, which it was for a short time before slowly dropping to 24 amps, then eventually down to 8 amps. My mobile connector handled this without any sort of issues, which makes this even more frustrating. :/

That 8a/8a number indicates that it's the wall connector that is slowing the charging down. Unfortunately, I'm leaning towards saying there's something wrong with the wall connector. Double check the connections inside the wall connector, and see if the plug is getting hot to the touch while the car is still charging at full speed. If you could test with another car, that would be another way to troubleshoot.

Huh. I looked at your charging screen shot, and it's showing using 8/8 amps. That is a problem of some kind--not just a setting. 8A maximum available isn't a possible setting from the wall connector, something in the system is causing it to reduce the current for some reason. That may be some kind of overheating somewhere, possibly in the wall connector or in the wiring connections or the onboard charger in the car. This would take some experimenting to try different pieces of equipment to start eliminating variables.

I just noticed that it appears you have a corded wall connector. In that case, I'd also want to check the connections inside the 14-50 electric box. Start by inspecting the plug and the outlet for signs of heat like melting or discoloration. If that looks OK, then after the car has been charging at full speed for a while, unplug the 14-50 and carefully feel the blades of the plug. See if they are HOT, as in too hot to comfortably keep your fingers on. In either of those cases, I find it likely that it's either a bad outlet or poor connections inside the outlet box.

We don't know a ton about the corded wall connectors, but they may have a temperature sensor in the 14-50 plug like the mobile connectors do, which would explain this behavior fairly well.

Last edited:
Reactions: El joe
Did you change the switch inside the Gen 2 Wall Connector for higher AMPS? It will go as high as 48A if it is working properly providing you change the physical setting in the wall charger and your circuit is capable of it.
A Gen 2 HPWC can be set up to 80A if installed on a 100A circuit.

At the time I had mine installed, Tesla was still making Model S and X that could charge at up to 80A. That dropped to 72A and now 48A is the max, and the Gen 3 can only charge at 48A.

A Gen 2 HPWC can be set up to 80A if installed on a 100A circuit.

At the time I had mine installed, Tesla was still making Model S and X that could charge at up to 80A. That dropped to 72A and now 48A is the max, and the Gen 3 can only charge at 48A.
The title of this thread is Gen 2 and it has a physical switch. I was suggesting a possible solution. Not sure what your post had to add to the original question/answer.