Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fukuta supply role to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Tesla Motors was building motors from scratch the relationship with China Steel Corp would exist between Tesla and China Steel.

We know that Tesla builds motors with parts supplied by Fukuta. We know Fukuta builds motor parts with materials supplied by someone else, I guess China Steel is one of them. By your logic, since China Steel supplies materials to Fukuta, who then assembles them into motor parts, the motors are actually being built by China Steel, right? So now we have the truth, China Steel builds Tesla's motors, and that's why something really really bad is going to happen to Tesla! Or something, I've forgotten why any of this matters :crying: :biggrin:

It's a brand-new year, and a certain mild-mannered moderator might just turn over a new leaf.....and throw this entire thread out of the Investor Section, as for the life of me out of the prior 282 posts there seems to be precisely 2/3 of 3/8 of zippidydoodah that provides any insight for TSLA investors.

I think I'll give the OP one chance to make good on his or her thread's title, as follows:

Please demonstrate what Fukuta's Supply Role to Tesla can add to investors' greater understanding of the company. If you cannot do that, then please either request that moderators move this entire thread out of the Investors' section, or simply stop posting in this thread and let it go dormant.

If you cannot comply, then you will effectively be forcing moderators to do it for you, and quite frankly we have more productive ways to spend our time.

Thank you for your consideration.

There is no indication that Tesla's motors are designed by Fukuta or manufactured by Fukuta. On the contrarary, there are overwhelming counterindications: both activities have been confirmed as happening in Fremont, and their motor designs don't look even remotely similar to Fukuta's.

The Fukuta motor you cited is not present in any Tesla vehicle offered to the public; not for traction or in any other role.

There are no indications that the "motor parts" cited are anything other than what you would expect a motor manufacturer to procure. Nobody has their entire supply chain in-house, including Fukuta.

The mass of the supplied parts doesn't come close to the mass of assembled motors Tesla is fitting to its vehicles.

No, Fukuta's role here is nowhere near making everything for the traction motors. Yes, you need all the pieces to complete production. No kidding, Columbo; that also applies to the thousands of other parts that go into a car, most of which are outsourced.

There is nothing particularly exotic involved in e.g. stamping out copper laminations to a specified pattern; that could be described as supplying "motor parts". Outsourcing processes that you have no need to make part of your core competencies is again nothing unusual for a manufacturer. If a need emerges or is anticipated, expect Tesla to act accordingly.

A Tesla supplier needs capital to expand production to match anticipated demand? Again, no kidding. There have been thousands of such stories already. They're all critical to Tesla's growth; production is limited to the "worst or unluckiest" supplier, as always. This is not some big secret, it's inevitable and bleedin' obvious.

Last edited:
There is no indication that Tesla's motors are designed by Fukuta or manufactured by Fukuta. On the contrarary, there are overwhelming counterindications: both activities have been confirmed as happening in Fremont, and their motor designs don't look even remotely similar to Fukuta's.

Uh-oh.
When you pull that lever, we get a post about Elon's colony transport to Mars.
In 3... 2... 1...

I expect to see a post really soon now about how what we see in Fremont is just really good holography.

Tomita Motors - Fukuta is still the sole supplier of motors according to China Times newspaper August 2015
Google Translate

This article also references the relationship between Tomita - Fukuta and Tesla Motors :
Google Translate
liquidcooled.PNG
Tomita-tesla.PNG

There is a video from Tesla. The motor winding is done in Tesla's factory.
I don't think Tesla receives a motor in whole. Maybe only the silicon-steel sheets and housing.

Gossip: I heard that a company made poor-efficiency motors with hand-drawing torque curve...

Fukuta is still supplying the drive unit for all of Tesla Motors vehicles.

Here are the lastest bill of ladings - motors shipped from Fukuta to Tesla Motors -
Fukuta designs and sell motors. 富田電機股份有限公司

Here is the catalog for Fukuta product line from a Fukuta distributor and the catalog list motors (no motor parts).

http://www.nwtlimited.com/images/download/pdf/908354137Fukuta_Motor Catalogue_2014.pdf

Fukuta is still supplying the drive unit for all of Tesla Motors vehicles.
Are you claiming they supply the entire motor, entire drive unit including inverter, or just some handy motor parts that Tesla uses in building their own motors and drive units?

Where is the evidence for exactly what "motor parts" consist of?

Are you claiming they supply the entire motor, entire drive unit including inverter, or just some handy motor parts that Tesla uses in building their own motors and drive units?

Where is the evidence for exactly what "motor parts" consist of?
sometime the bill of lading is labeled properly as AC Induction motors like

see this data from shipment from Fukuta to Tesla Motors , the description says "AC Induction servo motor_ Tesla Motors, Inc. imports from Fukuta Electric & Machinery Co., | Customs Trade Data
and again..
Tesla Motors, Inc. imports from Fukuta Electric & Machinery Co., | Customs Trade Data

and again
Tesla Motors, Inc. imports from Fukuta Electric & Machinery Co.,Ltd | Customs Trade Data

Status
Not open for further replies.