Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly this won’t help. If the last three years are anything to go by, anyway.
Could be.

Then again, not many effectively communicated what AI would look like just 3 years ago either. Sure, there were spots of good guesses but few with real vision describing what we have today.

I'm no military or AI expert but I try to keep up at a 50k level. But to see apparently common use of F15/F35 jets being able to take out a cruise missle as accurately as was just done in the Midfle East is amazing, as are things like Iron Dome and the tactical missle defenses. Or detecting/identifying/targeting/destroying a cruise missle from a ship 700 miles away consistently. I've known for some time that "shooting a missle with a missle" was being done but it now appears to be common place. Everyone is doing it.

I'm counting on that exponential AI curve to be well into the expected exponential upswing in capability.

3 years? 5 years? I don't know but I'm not counting anything out just yet for anything 3 years down the road. We could have flying cars but they will still have dry wipes.

3 years? 5 years? I don't know but I'm not counting anything out just yet for anything 3 years down the road. We could have flying cars but they will still have dry wipes.
First off - LOL. Thanks for the giggle.

Second - I have the solution. AR windshields. No more glass - just a big, 4K or 8K screen showing what's outside. Now the outside can get as dirty or wet as can be and the inside shows clear. Just need a small camera array with some lens washing capability (like Waymo has), and heating element for snow/ice.

"The future, Conan?"

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Difference behavior of v12.3.4 on MY HW3 and MY HW 4:

With HW3 FSD crossed the yellow line (about 8-10 inches to the left the line) of the median to make right turn to a narrow entrance to the parking lot. Many tests, very consistent.

With HW4, FSD stayed about 8-10 inches to the right of the yellow line to make the turn. 3 tests done, seems very consistent.

Which behavior is better?

I intended to manually turn myself to check my behavior but I abandoned the idea because thought I was already influenced by one of the two behaviors.

Last edited:
I'm no military or AI expert but I try to keep up at a 50k level. But to see apparently common use of F15/F35 jets being able to take out a cruise missle as accurately as was just done in the Midfle East is amazing, as are things like Iron Dome and the tactical missle defenses.
Holy crap - I read this and then just saw this article on ARS - what are the odds?!?

BTW - We think FSD is hard to get right... try fighter jets at Mach-1. Cuz damn.

Haven't seen this one discussed unless it was a while back. On single-lane roads, FSD should pullover to the edge of the road when making a turn so rearward traffic can get around you. Not safety critical, but pretty much a necessity if FSD is going to share the road with human drivers, disengagement free. Similarly, if it is poised to proceed straight at a stop/traffic signal, it should skew left to create space for potential cars turning right.

It currently does something similar to this. If other cars have already established an informal division in the single-lane road where one half turns left and the other half turns right, FSD will follow their lead. But not if FSD is the lead car. Still, this is an improvement over v11, which would ALWAYS center in the middle of the road, holding up the other half of traffic.

I’m starting to think the profiles are all the same. It goes hand in hand with automax speed. I think Tesla is shifting toward an autonomous experience where they can have more control.
I don't think it's so much that they want to assert more control, it's just that as there's less logic-based C++ control code and more neural network control it becomes harder and harder to provide parameters and options for different behavior--all of the decisions are happening in a black box that is very hard to understand. It's the same reason the car doesn't inform us of about the decisions it's about to make on v12 anymore.

I’m starting to think the profiles are all the same. It goes hand in hand with automax speed. I think Tesla is shifting toward an autonomous experience where they can have more control.
The profiles seem ineffectual, along with the Make Minimal Lane Changes setting. They are probably only there for when it switches to v11 on highways. But I don't think this is a deliberate design choice, it's a limitation of NN. If they wanted to have full control over the driving experience, they could easily disallow accelerator overrides. As it stands, touching the accelerator still does not disengage FSD.

The profiles seem ineffectual, along with the Make Minimal Lane Changes setting. They are probably only there for when it switches to v11 on highways.

A solid thought.
But I don't think this is a deliberate design choice, it's a limitation of NN. If they wanted to have full control over the driving experience, they could easily disallow accelerator overrides. As it stands, touching the accelerator still does not disengage FSD.

Which bring me back to my main piss-off about FSDSupervised. I'm supposed to supervise it but my choices are let it do what it wants or disengage and be left without even basic ADAS capability, or change my driver profile to AP and give up the current HVAC and entertainment system settings.

I can't tell FSDS to follow less closely, I can't tell it to slow sooner when coming up on a red light, I can't tell it to change lanes (and stay in them) when it is making a poor lane choice, and I can't tell it to change its speed if it is mistaken and thinks that the school zone doesn't apply to teslas or that the road is only 30 mph not 55 mph because we've left the lower speed zone (or turned a corner). All those things are what supervisors would do when supervising a person learning to drive. But FSDSupervised will not accept any input from the supervisor. That makes is an automatic fail in my book.

Watching a video of it and experiencing it in the driver's seat are very different things. This ridiculous stopping behavior and the need for me to press the gas pedal several times a minute are the 2 biggest failings of FSD for me.

I've had other cars try to pass and cut it front of me when the car starts doing the slow creep.
Everyone who follows this thread knows that so I took that into consideration. I just don't believe I would have been uncomfortable if I was in the car. I've watch hundreds of other videos where I felt uncomfortable just like the driver. Could Tesla improve this behavior of course but that doesn't change my impression. I could watch your videos and agree with you but not these videos. And we know Tesla will improve this so I'm way more interested in Tesla fixing other bad FSD behavior.

Well, that was disappointing. Letting Nameless drive me home from the first-ever performance of Beck-Ola, a newly-formed Jeff Beck "not just a tribute" band (which killed it BTW), I was on a 4-mile strech of deserted back road near my house, on a straightaway with no intersections, cars, or just about anything, going 45, and for no reason whatsoever Nameless started slowing down pretty sharply. We got down to about 3 mph and I disengaged to leave a memo. V12.3.4.

Well, that was disappointing. Letting Nameless drive me home from the first-ever performance of Beck-Ola, a newly-formed Jeff Beck "not just a tribute" band (which killed it BTW), I was on a 4-mile strech of deserted back road near my house, on a straightaway with no intersections, cars, or just about anything, going 45, and for no reason whatsoever Nameless started slowing down pretty sharply. We got down to about 3 mph and I disengaged to leave a memo. V12.3.4.
While this drive was going on your car kept thinking, "I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me?"

• Funny
Reactions: Dennisis
Why? Maybe partially related to Elon's nonstop fake news. Maybe partially from social media shills. And partially from online apologists.

We can only evaluate FSD progress on its performance. There's no harm in identifying shortcomings. It even has a chance of making driving assist systems better. And no, I'm not gonna give FSD a pass/break. I'll leave that for you.

No question HW3/HW4 will fail from time to time and we all should disengage. The above video demonstrated that. She knew the area. Knew how long to let it play out. She even mentioned she wouldn't be 'that guy' pissing everyone off. SHE DISENGAGED and DROVE MANUALLY!!

Gotta love the use of 'character assassination' as if FSD was human while the same time arguing it's not human. :)
Kabin, you're a smart guy, and you know the difference between criticism and identifying shortcomings, and hate speech. Just like you know the difference between praise and identifying strengths, and fanboyism.

I have absolutely no problem with people identifying shortcomings, it's the inane drivel that comes out from many here. Let me give some examples:

Identifying Shortcomings:
I just drove for 10 miles, and had 5 disengagements, 3 for safety. The car nearly ran a red light in one, and misidentified a left turn lane for a straight through lane. I had several interventions for speed, using the accelerator to keep up with the flow of traffic.

Instead, this is what we get:
This is the worst software ever released. Everyone who bought this is an idiot. Look how utterly stupid this crap is. OMG, why is this *sugar* even allowed on the road?

Let's look at the other side - Identifying Strengths:
I just drove for 10 miles and had 0 disengagements. I only had 1 intervention, which was an accelerator use on a right unprotected turn to get it going, as there was no traffic around. v12 is giving me more and more disengagement free drives - I'm really impressed!

Instead of fanboi:
OMG, v12 is the best software out there - nothing can beat it. Elon is the GOAT, and Tesla is at the top of their game, no questions asked!

So, let's by all means get to identifying strengths and shortcomings, and less on hate speech and fanboyism.

OMG, v12 is the best software out there - nothing can beat it. Elon is the GOAT, and Tesla is at the top of their game, no questions asked!
Don’t forget: just one or two more years and our current cars will be L3, for sure! Exponential improvement, emergent capabilities, safer than a normal human! Tesla’s data shows that FSD is safer.

or that the road is only 30 mph not 55 mph because we've left the lower speed zone (or turned a corner).
This is one thing you can do. Not saying it is not a problem.

• Funny
Reactions: kabin and Dewg
FSDS 12.3.5 had started going out to employees :

Plus Whole Mars, or at least that's his implication.

Boring, in any case. Maybe they will fix the USB drive? A surprise jump forward to the new branch would be nice but seems unlikely.

What we know at this point is behavior changes will be minimal. Just prompt engineering, it seems.