Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mentioned this a few days ago.

12.3.3 -> 12.3.4 is not a major release. It's not even a minor release. It's a maintenance release. So don't expect much in the way of anything as far as improvements. 99% of what people think is an improvement is really just confirmation bias.
I don’t know, I definitely feel like my MY gained at least 2hp after this update

v12.3.4 upgrade going in now
IMG_9154.jpeg

On a curve, the car went well over the double yellow line when a car was coming in the other direction
Are you still experiencing this with 12.3.3? And was this on the local highway?

I experienced the worst 12.x today with multiple unnecessary drifting out of the lane on a highway here with 45mph speed limit. Probably 5 times on the round-trip it went into the shoulder then the dirt and 1 time crossed well over the double yellow lines. The lines were quite faded or covered, but the visualizations still rendered them confidently and correctly. It would be very odd for control to drift this much if it actually used the same visualized perception.

This was with HW4 X, and after getting home, the car uploaded 71GB. Have people tried measuring how much is sent for a single data collection? I estimate there were 15, so each might be around 4.7GB?

My 12.3.4 is downloading now. Hope to see some improvement going in and out of my gated community, better stop sign behavior, and better lane choices. I have a test loop to compare new with old versions.

I don't really look at FSD as a robotaxi to take me places while I fall asleep. I think of it as a driver's aid, like cruise control, power steering, power brakes, and automatic transmissions. My driving takes less and less effort to do the boring stuff. I like to drive, generally faster than FSD, but when I'm stuck in traffic or a boring road I just want to put in less effort.

I'm 70, and I've seen a lot of change over the years. New stuff comes in and is looked at suspiciously, and then you just don't remember that before, all your radios and TV's had tubes, light bulbs burnt up for light, phones had cords, and of course computers and the internet changed everything. The stuff they having been saying about the AI revolution and neural network training? Sure sounds like the wild claims I heard back in the 80's about how personal computers and the Internet would change everything. They were right. FSD via AI is way better in its first attempt than all those years of humans doing their 300,000 lines of code. And it's supposed to accelerate now. Let's see - exciting times!

...I had a drive on the freeway yesterday afternoon heading into the sun (not the best visibility, but not terrible), and FSD refused to go more than 10mph _below_ the speed limit...If FSD can't properly drive at certain times of day due to being blinded by glare, that's pretty much a showstopper...
It looks like you have one newer and one older car. I'm not sure but it's possible that your car, especially if it's the older one, has accumulated some off-gassing haze on the inner glass of the camera housing. Below is a post I made about this not too long ago - the effect in my car was very severe before I cleaned it.
This is an issue for me almost every day. I have to drive around sunset, and it's quite bad both for me and for FSD in the interval between about 20 minutes and 5 minutes before sunset. A couple of times, I've had it simply stop when there is a green light but the sun is exactly behind it and it's very difficult to make out. This is obviously very uncomfortable when it happens, and it's hard for me see also and decide everything quickly enough that I should override it.

At some point I'd like to do a comparison to see if HW4 front cameras can deal with the direct sunlight any better.

In addition, this depends strongly on the cleanliness of the windshield, both inside and outside surfaces, over the front cameras. Back in September I was having a great deal of trouble, with FSD frequently refusing to continue with low sun. Looking at dash cam clips, I could see there was an absolutely horrible flare problem even after I cleaned the windshield outside surface. Kind of scary really, when you looked at the video recording.

So I did some searching online and figured out how to remove the camera housing over the rear view mirror, then cleaned the glass with isopropyl. My car is parked outside and gets direct Arizona sun many hours per day, and there was a significant film/haze on the inner glass over the cameras. I saved dash cam clips of my sunset drives in the days before and after this cleaning procedure, and it made a huge difference (much better but not flare-free after the cleaning).

I have to assume that Tesla is quite aware of this, but it rarely gets discussed. I think there should be some AI-trained recognition of notable flare from sunlight, headlamps and street lights at night. Then the owner could be informed of the issue and schedule a service. I also think they should redesign the camera housing to be much simpler to remove for cleaning the glass. It's not a small issue and most people never think about it.

Off topic - how do you go about reporting issues to Google? I'm wondering if there is a way I can report the back gate to my neighborhood as an out-only gate. There is no keypad, and it's the shortest way into the neighborhood. For years Google has directed cars in this way, only to be stuck at a gate they can't open. (You can open it if you have a wireless keyfob, or it's programmed into your car).

Out only = one way. I succeeded with a report on a one-way parking lot, so give it try!

I mentioned this a few days ago.

12.3.3 -> 12.3.4 is not a major release. It's not even a minor release. It's a maintenance release. So don't expect much in the way of anything as far as improvements. 99% of what people think is an improvement is really just confirmation bias.
Well if you have an older S/X or the new model 3 there is nothing "minor" here .. its the first time they have FSD 12.x.

I just completed my first usual late evening drive after the 12.3.4 update. As expected, it's not massively different. However, I do think that I detected a healthier margin away from curbs and Road edges.

Turning off of the main road into my neighborhood, there is a left turn bay with a curved median at the outside edge of the path. Prior versions of v12 would approach this far edge uncomfortably close, and I couldn't see the curb below the hood or fender. Tonight, I could see that opposite curb from the driver's seat, all the way through the turn.

A few hundred yards later is a right turn into my street with rocks and boulders edging the road. Similarly, the prior version tended to go a little close to those and I had to trust that it wouldn't scrape the wheels or lower fender. Tonight it felt more comfortable and didn't hug the edge so closely.

This is admittedly an early sample of one drive, but I was happy for the apparent adjustment.

Last edited:
Do you expect everyone can live more than 5 years to use FSD?
Not sure what you mean? You mean for elderly drivers?

If I had to guess what you are asking, I suppose the best for everyone is to refund the original FSD cost back to everyone and now anyone can use FSD for $99US/month at any time. But I don't see that happening, and at least for me, FSD is a very useful tool. No regrets purchasing it outright.

Reactions: APotatoGod and KLam
...If I had to guess what you are asking, I suppose the best for everyone is to refund the original FSD cost back to everyone and now anyone can use FSD for $99US/month at any time. But I don't see that happening, and at least for me, FSD is a very useful tool. No regrets purchasing it outright.
I suspect that Tesla will just extend the FSD transfer to a new car indefinitely (or at least until we have a seismic market shift). I bet market research has provided info that this increases brand loyalty since people who bought FSD see they are already invested in buying a new Tesla.

I suspect that Tesla will just extend the FSD transfer to a new car indefinitely (or at least until we have a seismic market shift). I bet market research has provided info that this increases brand loyalty since people who bought FSD see they are already invested in buying a new Tesla.
My husband would be in support of that. He intends to buy another tesla if I die before we need to replace this one (it theory replacement won't be for 4.5 years based on our car buying patterns) but I will not be buying another tesla whether or not I can get free FSD on it. I suppose if FSD was L4, I might reconsider since planning for a revoked license is not unreasonable and tesla is likely to get there first.

When we bought this car we thought it might be our last purchased vehicle given our family history and health issues. L4 would be a game changer, making our purchase of FSD in 2020 not look foolish at all.