Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. Now that Dan O’Dowd has run two Super Bowl ads this year Tesla will have no choice but to sue. Then we will see the internal emails and see who is right. I’m expecting that Elon told the team to develop the worlds best robotaxi software.
Maybe the NTSB will want to join in on that suit: NTSB Statement on “Dawn Project” Super Bowl Ad

The NTSB had no involvement in the production of this advertisement, did not authorize the use of its seal, nor does it endorse the work of the Dawn Project. The agency has asked the group to stop the unauthorized use of the NTSB seal.

I’ve been sitting in the toilet thinking, where’s V12.

My legs are getting tired.
I actually have a thought on this.

Usually, Musk's commentary about The Next Big FSD Thing has been aspirational, not based completely on what it can do. The only excuse to this, such as any excuse might be, is that each major version of FSD has been better than what came before. But that's about it.

Maybe.. this time.. the people at Tesla are trying to make V12 a solid FSD. I don't think any sane person would go, "Robotaxi!" But perhaps an ADAS 2.0 sans bugs, or at least seriously minor bugs.

If they're doing that, they're possibly going the route of, "No release before its time." Especially if the word, "Beta" is going to be removed..

I know, I know: There's a dozen posters around here who are going to put the "laugh" emoji on this post, if they just don't ignore it. But.. maybe.

Last edited:
I actually have a thought on this.

Usually, Musk's commentary about The Next Big FSD Thing has been aspirational, not based completely on what it can do. The only excuse to this, such as any excuse might be, is that each major version of FSD has been better than what came before. But that's about it.

Maybe.. this time.. the people at Tesla are trying to make V12 a solid FSD. I don't think any sane person would go, "Robotaxi!" But perhaps an ADAS 2.0 sans bugs, or at least seriously minor bugs.

If they're doing that, they're possibly going the route of, "No release before its time." Especially if the word, "Beta" gets released.

I know, I know: There's a dozen posters around here who are going to put the "laugh" emoji on this post, if they just don't ignore it. But.. maybe.
Sorry, I had to put a laugh emoji on your post!

Reactions: DrGriz
Privileged knowledge? It's self-evident. Look at the cameras, the perception, object and gesture detection, look at the planner, look at the safety record, look at the actual performance. It's ridiculous even comparing the two. Waymo was driving like FSD 10-15 years ago.

Only fools brush off Lidar, highres-radar and HD-maps and other safety related additions to compensate for NN weakness as "rails" or "crutches". Waymo would most likely drive better and safer than FSD by at least a factor 10x even if you removed everything but the cameras.
According to federal stats, there are 4.2 million miles of roads in the US. FSD can drive on all of them. (I've skipped Canada.)

Waymo are geofenced to SF, Phoenix, LA and Austin. Let's be generous and assume they can drive anywhere in these cities. That's roughly 10,000 miles of roads that Waymo can drive.

So, FSD can drive on approx 400 times more roads then Waymo. Therefore FSD is 400x as good!! Of course, this is absurd, but it's no less absurd than your silly "Waymo is 10x or 2000x better" exclamations based on nothing but made-up nonsense.

And anytime anyone backs up an argument just with "this is self evident" you know to examine the argument VERY carefully:

-- Cameras, perception, object and gesture detection. These are simply means to an end. What counts isnt how many gizmos are gathering data or how many pixels you have. That's just specmanship. What counts is the end result. Can the car drive safely and predictably? Therefore this argument has zero relevance.

-- Planner Same argument as previous. I dont care if the planner uses goblins, as long as it works correctly.

-- Safety record. Provide statistics: crashes categorized by severity, miles driven daily etc. You do realize that ANY Tesla crash that MIGHT involve FSD is jumped on by the press, right? Where are they? How many are there compared to FSD miles driven?

-- Actual performance. Waymo drives well in the small number of locations it can drive. Tesla drives pretty well anywhere, though not (yet) as well as Waymo. Not clear how you argue Waymo is "better" based on this (see above).

-- Waymo was driving 10-15 years ago. So what? I've been walking for decades, my son for 12 years, yet he's every bit as good at it as me (better, in some ways).

Waymo provide an interesting service, though their business model is risky (and Alphabet a brooding parent at best), and I've nothing against them or their approach, but jumping up and down claiming its wonderful and FSD is garbage is just plain silly.

Last edited:
1707785774985.jpeg

I hate this wait so much.

Yea, could be the [NHTSA] update with 11.4.9 for us Early Access while keeping us behind on 23 software
If these automatic/API release notes for 2023.44.30.14 are accurate, looks like Tesla specially cherry-picked the fix for "Over-the-Air Recall: Telltale Text Size." This should be good news for preparing 12.x wider release to customers on 2023.44.30.x while providing the recall remedy to FSD Beta audience without the presumably larger effort to get 12.x merged to 2024.x software.

It does seem like the two tracks of software update pattern from before, but I would very much prefer 12.x over the current 2024.x changes.