Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD turns into the short-deadline lane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD turns into the short-deadline lane.

Background Info:
MYP Purchased with FSD ($7K) in Jul-2020. Got first FSD Beta, v10.8, installed/activated on Dec-24-2021. rapidly/periodically updated to every update (as of today: v11.7.3, total updates: 21 versions). I’ve used FSD daily for traveling ~20miles round trip from home to pickleball courts.

Problem:
FSD turns into the short-deadline lane on same location almost every day (roughly > 90%) even on latest version, v11.7.3, which claimed of addressing the “short-deadline lane”. This photo shows the 2 lanes highway (1460) with a short deadline lane that FSD has a persistent problem.
IMG_0053.jpeg

My 2 cents: I am an enthusiast on green and owned Tesla MYP, Solar panels, Power wall, stock. After almost 2 years of using FSD daily and have witnessed on slowness of progress + inconsistent/unpredictable behaviors; I lost confidence on FSD. I may gain some confidence if v12 solves some problems I have encountered (eg: Run red light, lacking visibility on parking marks in parking lot, lacking of detecting the potholes and bumps, etc.).

Reactions: Kimmi
Lane selection is a mapping issue, not FSD directly. I know, it's still broken so no consolation. A local intersection was redesigned some 6 months ago with the former "straight" lane now marked off despite very new/clear road markings. FSD cannot go straight through the intersection yet as it absolutely insists on using the closed (previously straight) lane.

I’m trying to understand what you mean by "deadline lane". The paths you’ve highlighted in red and yellow look like they're on the median separating opposing traffic lanes. Are you saying your car is driving in the median with FSD enabled?
I believe he is referring to the much discussed issue where FSDb moves into a short turn lane when the car is planning to continue straight.

I believe he is referring to the much discussed issue where FSDb moves into a short turn lane when the car is planning to continue straight.
That’s right.
The “short-deadline lane” is the short turn lane. The red arrow (in photo) is manually added for describing problem. The routed path (blue path in FSD screen) passes this left turn lane and goes straight until the next left turn lane (~300ft more). Therefore, it should pass this short-deadline lane and go straight until the next left turn lane.

That’s right.
The “short-deadline lane” is the short turn lane. The red arrow (in photo) is manually added for describing problem. The routed path (blue path in FSD screen) passes this left turn lane and goes straight until the next left turn lane (~300ft more). Therefore, it should pass this short-deadline lane and go straight until the next left turn lane.

There's no left turn lane (yellow arrow) getting out of the driveway. It's a divided highway. It's a dead-end to go straight into the highway median. It has to go in the one-way direction of turning right.

Therefore, how is the "short-deadline lane changes" applicable to this scenario? It is not a lane change. It's a decision about where to go when getting out of a private driveway:

1. Turn right to lane 1 (outer lane)
2. Turn right to lane 2 (most right lane of the 2).
3. Turn left to risk collisions due to going the wrong way on this side of the median
4. Go straight into the median to get stuck in order to turn left onto the other side of the median.

There's no left turn lane (yellow arrow) getting out of the driveway. It's a divided highway. It's a dead-end to go straight into the highway median. It has to go in the one-way direction of turning right.

Therefore, how is the "short-deadline lane changes" applicable to this scenario? It is not a lane change. It's a decision about where to go when getting out of a private driveway:

1. Turn right to lane 1 (outer lane)
2. Turn right to lane 2 (most right lane of the 2).
3. Turn left to risk collisions due to going the wrong way on this side of the median
4. Go straight into the median to get stuck in order to turn left onto the other side of the median.
Clarification: The yellow arrow depicts to the yellow text note; and it does not mean to my car travel path. My car is heading down along highway 1460 on left lane (55mph speed limit) from top of this photo (it changed to left lane in ~1mile before the left turning point, which is a correct behavior).

Clarification: The yellow arrow depicts to the yellow text note; and it does not mean to my car travel path. My car is heading down along highway 1460 on left lane (55mph speed limit) from top of this photo (it changed to left lane in ~1mile before the left turning point, which is a correct behavior).

It starts to make more sense now.

It sounds like you are saying that your car travels straight, from top to bottom in the red arrow arrow. There's no intention to turn left but the system still chooses the wrong lane by moving to the left-turn-only lane when it is supposed to go straight?

Background Info:
MYP Purchased with FSD ($7K) in Jul-2020. Got first FSD Beta, v10.8, installed/activated on Dec-24-2021. rapidly/periodically updated to every update (as of today: v11.7.3, total updates: 21 versions). I’ve used FSD daily for traveling ~20miles round trip from home to pickleball courts.

Problem:
FSD turns into the short-deadline lane on same location almost every day (roughly > 90%) even on latest version, v11.7.3, which claimed of addressing the “short-deadline lane”. This photo shows the 2 lanes highway (1460) with a short deadline lane that FSD has a persistent problem.
View attachment 993915

My 2 cents: I am an enthusiast on green and owned Tesla MYP, Solar panels, Power wall, stock. After almost 2 years of using FSD daily and have witnessed on slowness of progress + inconsistent/unpredictable behaviors; I lost confidence on FSD. I may gain some confidence if v12 solves some problems I have encountered (eg: Run red light, lacking visibility on parking marks in parking lot, lacking of detecting the potholes and bumps, etc.).

I’m trying to understand what you mean by "deadline lane". The paths you’ve highlighted in red and yellow look like they're on the median separating opposing traffic lanes. Are you saying your car is driving in the median with FSD enabled?

Clarification: this updated photo probably describes the issue better.
IMG_0053.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: spsheridan
Clarification: this updated photo probably describes the issue better.
Thanks for the clarification.

Tesla Autonomous Decision Making has been faulty from the beginning.

Why its decision-making is bad could have many excuses.

One of those is mentioned by @KArnold "mapping."

Although the path projection was correct to go straight so the system must be getting the correct information to go straight. That means it should not prematurely turn left contrary to the path projection.

This is the picture from Forbes in 2022:

960x0.jpg

The path predictor says it should go straight and then turn right in 0.5 mi at E. Homestead Rd but it is actually traveling in the left-turn-only lane.

When I had FSDb with my Model 3, it frequently chose the wrong lanes last year too.

Choosing the correct lane is a basic traffic rule that an Autonomous system should accomplish.

We just hope it gets better but I doubt it with this present rate of progress.

Background Info:

Problem:
View attachment 993915

Once in a while, the FSD prematurely turns right and becomes off to the routed path as shown in this photo. The problem here is that it has inconsistent and unpredictable behavior.
IMG_0054.jpeg

Once in a while, the FSD prematurely turns right and becomes off to the routed path as shown in this photo. The problem here is that it has inconsistent and unpredictable behavior.

That is how FSDb has been from the beginning so pre-mature and wrong turn that you mentioned is not new.

It doesn't just turn incorrectly into the wrong turn for no reason. It does it because someone or something wrote the codes to do the wrong thing.

Thus, that somebody or something needs to write the codes correctly.