Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Steering wheel nag

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The end goal is to make sure all the current and upcoming "Darwin Award Winners" are paying attention to the road and not sleeping, texting, etc. The cabin camera is also being trained with captured data to meet that goal better than a steering wheel nag. Pick up your phone and look at it while on FSD with your hand on the wheel - I get a Blue Screen warning to "Pay attention to the Road". As the AI improves, based on the software roadmap, you're gonna see this start to couple with other sensors/options.

Companies (including Elon/Tesla) are spending Billions on AI models, and this is JUST the beginning, its about to get really exciting in the next 12-18 months.... buckle-up :)

Intentionally or unintentionally NHTSA opened the door to getting rid of the nag.

From the second to last paragraph of NHTSA document Additional Information Regarding EA22002 dated 4/25/2024.
Unlike peer L2 systems tested by ODI, Autopilot presented resistance when drivers attempted to
provide manual steering inputs. Attempts by the human driver to adjust steering manually resulted
in Autosteer deactivating. This design can discourage drivers’ involvement in the driving task. Other
systems tested during the PE and EA investigation accommodated drivers’ steering by suspending
lane centering assistance and then reactivating it without additional action by the driver.
Perhaps as importantly, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety on March 12, 2024 published Partial automation safeguard ratings criteria which included the requirement that "Lane centering does not discourage steering by driver."

I suspect there is a causal relationship between those two events and Tesla getting rid of the "nag."

In the near future we may be able to steer around potholes on Autopilot without deactivating Autopilot in the process..

I suspect there is a causal relationship between those two events and Tesla getting rid of the "nag."

I don't see a connection here. The "nag" is about when the driver is not interacting with the steering wheel.

I don't see how it has anything to do with whether the system allows small steering adjustments without disengagement.

I don't see a connection here. The "nag" is about when the driver is not interacting with the steering wheel.

I don't see how it has anything to do with whether the system allows small steering adjustments without disengagement.
I believe you are partially correct in that Tesla could accept steering the car as evidence that you are paying attention. For that matter, I wish Tesla accepted using the turn signals, the wipers, and the accelerator pedal just as Tesla currently accepts adjusting the radio volume!

However, right now the "nag" requires the driver to apply enough torque to the wheel for the car to detect, but NOT enough torque to overcome the Autopilot/FSD resistance and actually turn the car. I don't think Tesla can allow natural unresisted steering, while simultaniously allowing the driver to apply pressure that the current "nag" can detect but which doesn't steer the car. At least in the FSD case, I think Tesla ONLY wants the driver to make steering changes the driver wishes FSD would make on their behalf. Collecting data on repeated small steering changes to satisfy a "nag" just confuses the FSD training data, and the (soft?) disengagement data.

"Small steering adjustments without disengagement" also seems both a dangerously ambiguous criteria, and is not the behavior other cars are apparently offering. Unlike Tesla, according to the NHTSA document I linked, competitor systems allow the driver to steer without fully disengaging the system. This quote from a recent post in another thread on this forum described the Kia implementation.
The ability to correct the line of the Kia without disconnecting self steering ie say you see a pothole ahead that you will hit staying in the centre of the lane. Just steer around it then head back towards the centre and self steering reapplies. It was even possible to leave the system on all the time and have it apply itself any time you wanted ie around town etc. Also taking a racing line around sharper corners was especially nice to achieve I think or moving over pre-emptively to overtake large trucks then back to self steering in the centre of the lane. A great and confidence inspiring system I think.

Personal experience note. During my first month or so with my Tesla I frequently used too much pressure on the steering wheel unexpectedly disengaging auto steer and veering my car either toward the curb or the oncoming traffic lane. After a few scares involving oncoming traffic I standardized my default relaxed hold to apply slight pressure toward the curb! Though sometimes I will wiggle the wheel or modestly resist when the car turns the wheel to satisfy the "nag." After the first month I rarely used too much pressure anymore, though I can easily see a new to Tesla driver accidentally veering into an oncoming vehicle.

I wonder if such cases would be included in the 111 crashes (of 956 evaluated) categorized as "Inadvertent Steering Override (Cancel AS, keep TACC)" in that NHTSA document I cited. If so, getting rid of the "nag" entirely, meaning the need to put mild steering pressure on the wheel, should prevent some crashes. However, while I now rarely accidentally apply too much "nag" pressure, even after almost 2 years of usage I sometimes intentionally turned the wheel forgetting that didn't also disengage TACC until the recent sincle press change made turning the wheel disengage both.

The bottom line seems to be that having turning the wheel disengage everything pressing the brake does, combined with getting rid of the steering wheel "nag" might have eliminated 111 of the 956 crashes between January 2018 and August 2023 in the NHTSA report. I certainly hope it prevents more crashes than it causes, and I doubt I will personally miss the nag!

I personally can't stand nudging the wheel while the vehicle is at speed. I simply click the scroll wheel a notch or two.

If FDS doesn't nag me at all like EAP does, especially in dark conditions, I may be swayed to pay the $2K fee.

I’d expect the nagless FSD will require an unblocked cabin camera too

Sure, go ahead and unblock the camera
1715614729667.png

1715614646637.png