Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD on city streets with infotainment 1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S which I purchased with FSD. My understanding has always been that Tesla promised my car would be fully compatible with the fully realized FSD whenever that came out or they would upgrade my hardware to make that true. Over the years they updated my FSD chip and my cameras (twice).

A couple months ago Elon announced general availability of what was the FSD Beta including city streets but I never got it. I recently told I needed to upgrade my cameras again, which I did, but still no city streets. Today I finally got someone of the phone and they said "with infotainment 1, you will never get city streets, and Tesla will not perform that upgrade unless you pay for it".

So, yeah, make response was "then I want my FSD money back" to which he said "I'll have someone call you, I just make appointments", which is fair. But what have other people experienced with this issue? Am I off base thinking I paid for FSD and should get it without having to pay another $2K?

Thanks

Reactions: Vagus
I have a 2017 Model S which I purchased with FSD. My understanding has always been that Tesla promised my car would be fully compatible with the fully realized FSD whenever that came out or they would upgrade my hardware to make that true. Over the years they updated my FSD chip and my cameras (twice).

A couple months ago Elon announced general availability of what was the FSD Beta including city streets but I never got it. I recently told I needed to upgrade my cameras again, which I did, but still no city streets. Today I finally got someone of the phone and they said "with infotainment 1, you will never get city streets, and Tesla will not perform that upgrade unless you pay for it".

So, yeah, make response was "then I want my FSD money back" to which he said "I'll have someone call you, I just make appointments", which is fair. But what have other people experienced with this issue? Am I off base thinking I paid for FSD and should get it without having to pay another $2K?

Thanks

I agree with your position. You already paid fully for FSD before it ever existed. you should not pay a single cent more in order to get the FSD that you already paid.

I guess Tesla won't budge unless you are willing to take time to file in a small claims court.

It's too cheap for Tesla to show up on court.

Today I finally got someone of the phone and they said "with infotainment 1, you will never get city streets, and Tesla will not perform that upgrade unless you pay for it".
Not sure if they were responding in general or specifically for your vehicle or if something has changed since July. MCU1 S/X have gotten software update to 2022.8.10.15 with FSD Beta 10.69.3.3 starting July 14, 2023:

Those vehicles also went through the camera upgrades potentially requiring multiple attempts like you, and these did not require upgrading infotainment. However, to be clear, those who got the software update in July had already received FSD Beta with 2022.8.10.10 some as early as December 31, 2022. There are many others who have gone through the whole FSD Computer and camera upgrade and are still waiting for FSD Beta with MCU1.

Not sure if they were responding in general or specifically for your vehicle or if something has changed since July. MCU1 S/X have gotten software update to 2022.8.10.15 with FSD Beta 10.69.3.3 starting July 14, 2023:

Those vehicles also went through the camera upgrades potentially requiring multiple attempts like you, and these did not require upgrading infotainment. However, to be clear, those who got the software update in July had already received FSD Beta with 2022.8.10.10 some as early as December 31, 2022. There are many others who have gone through the whole FSD Computer and camera upgrade and are still waiting for FSD Beta with MCU1.
That's actually great to hear. He seemed like he was talking generally about all MCU1 model S but maybe he was just wrong? Sounds like I *do* have everything required for FSD Beta, MCU2 is not required, but it just might take a while to actually get it. There is a button in my settings to request access to the beta, which I did a couple months ago, so maybe I just need to keep waiting?

There is a button in my settings to request access to the beta, which I did a couple months ago, so maybe I just need to keep waiting?
Your vehicle is probably on some 2022.8.10.x version that is mostly software from over a year ago. Tesla has since removed the beta request button in 2023.x versions which so far are only available to MCU2+ vehicles and actually integrated FSD Beta into the main versions as a software toggle without requiring a separate download.

Tesla does tend to specially update software at the end of the year, such as the "holiday update" and some MCU1 vehicles also getting FSD Beta on the last day of last year. So there is a potential hope for MCU1 to get at least one 2023.x update in 2023.

Reactions: seenhear