Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's time for everyone to get over the name. Tesla has said for MANY years that FSD requires a driver to be present. It's amazing to me how many people find something to complain about with regards to the system. When Tesla did not have the systems in place to monitor if a driver was paying attention, they got dinged for it. Now that there are many things in place to assure that the driver is present and paying attention, they get dinged for it.

I'm sure there are instances where Tesla would allow for people to look away but the NHTSA would not approve it. FSD is a work in progress and I'm willing to deal with the limitations that it has as I feel that it has made driving much less tedious for me. I live in Southern CA (Los Angeles) where we deal with traffic around the clock. I have a 86 mile drive this afternoon that will take me over 2 hours to do in traffic. FSD will make that drive MUCH less painful.

I'm not particularly that interested in what Tesla calls it. I can say that I've driven with FSD for 3 years now and I simply love it. I've watched as it has progressed and frankly, 12.3.3 is very impressive. I'm really optimistic that the next couple of years will bring some major developments that will allow drivers to safely remove their hands from the wheel and basically let the car take over completely.

Let's see what the 8/8 reveal brings.

It's time for everyone to get over the name. Tesla has said for MANY years that FSD requires a driver to be present. It's amazing to me how many people find something to complain about with regards to the system. When Tesla did not have the systems in place to monitor if a driver was paying attention, they got dinged for it. Now that there are many things in place to assure that the driver is present and paying attention, they get dinged for it.

I'm sure there are instances where Tesla would allow for people to look away but the NHTSA would not approve it. FSD is a work in progress and I'm willing to deal with the limitations that it has as I feel that it has made driving much less tedious for me. I live in Southern CA (Los Angeles) where we deal with traffic around the clock. I have a 86 mile drive this afternoon that will take me over 2 hours to do in traffic. FSD will make that drive MUCH less painful.

I'm not particularly that interested in what Tesla calls it. I can say that I've driven with FSD for 3 years now and I simply love it. I've watched as it has progressed and frankly, 12.3.3 is very impressive. I'm really optimistic that the next couple of years will bring some major developments that will allow drivers to safely remove their hands from the wheel and basically let the car take over completely.

Let's see what the 8/8 reveal brings.
I am glad you like it. I am more cautious and much more ready to take over in traffic or in town situations. It feels more like I should just drive it myself anyway. I personally think the safety features like looking away, being on your phone, hand off the wheel should be part of the standard safety features outside of FSD.

The name is misleading, Tesla should change it until it is really FSD or full self driving. I am sure Tesla put the features in, hand on wheel, where you are looking, if you have a phone next to your ear, etc to shield itself from liability if there is an accident. You really do have to supervise the car just like you are still really driving it anyway. It acts more like advanced cruise control then it does full self driving.

It was Tesla that settled it. So I am sure they paid good amount to shun adverse publicity.

Sure, we'll go with your story.

Tesla lawyers: We'll settle the case with no penalties if you sign the settlement. Otherwise you know that we are going to win and you are going to have to pay for our legal defense. Which option you want?
And even if Tesla did pay them, it could have only been because it was going to be cheaper than the Tesla lawyers.

Sure, we'll go with your story.

Tesla lawyers: We'll settle the case with no penalties if you sign the settlement. Otherwise you know that we are going to win and you are going to have to pay for our legal defense. Which option you want?
And even if Tesla did pay them, it could have only been because it was going to be cheaper than the Tesla lawyers.
I doubt it. Tesla did not need adverse publicity when the sales are nose diving at an alarming rate. They figured that settling the case would be a lot cheaper than dragging Tesla through the mud and paying those lawyers! I dont believe the victims family settled it cheap as they knew they had Tesla by the b...s as Tesla could not prove he was actually holding the phone at the time of accident or he was asleep at the wheel! Fact is Tesla has loyal fan base but the rest of the people dont care for Elon or Tesla. Its true that Tesla gave the impression that FSD was really FSD and not GCC ! That is where they went wrong and Tesla knew it. This will open a flood gate of law suits and those hungry lawyers are waiting, salivating to get a piece of the meat!

I doubt it. Tesla did not need adverse publicity when the sales are nose diving at an alarming rate. They figured that settling the case would be a lot cheaper than dragging Tesla through the mud and paying those lawyers! I dont believe the victims family settled it cheap as they knew they had Tesla by the b...s as Tesla could not prove he was actually holding the phone at the time of accident or he was asleep at the wheel! Fact is Tesla has loyal fan base but the rest of the people dont care for Elon or Tesla. Its true that Tesla gave the impression that FSD was really FSD and not GCC ! That is where they went wrong and Tesla knew it. This will open a flood gate of law suits and those hungry lawyers are waiting, salivating to get a piece of the meat!
Your argument may make sense that they may wanted to have settle it to keep the mud down.

So why didn't they do that years ago? When the mud started?

After driving a couple of road trips this month, FSD fails at regular highway driving, it is constantly brake checking with no cars around. It will brake due to a hazard 3 lanes away. It is so slow at passing lane changes that it completely fails to execute them. It’s easier to use basic autopilot. I for one won’t miss this FSD. For roads with turns and stops it still acts like a nervous teen driver. It’s like I have a third child when I’m asking it “what are you doing?” constantly.

Reactions: E90alex
Your argument may make sense that they may wanted to have settle it to keep the mud down.

So why didn't they do that years ago? When the mud started?
Simple! Tesla was riding high. Nothing could touch them. The legacy automakers were caught with their pants down and the nearest challenger was a decade behind in EV tech. Now, its a whole different ball game. People are not so interested in Tesla and Tesla is nervous. They are about to go full monty on Robotaxi and the last thing they want is the so called FSD killing people! I know, the guy was probably playing a video game but that is not what people hear. They hear how Tesla promised a full self drive and how it is killing people. That was enough to settle the case albeit relatively cheap even if they paid a few mil. In the grand master plan of Elon Musk that may be peanuts!

FSD Supervised has been amazing, however there are a couple issues that need to be tweeked.
1. Street level: When traffic in front of the car is stopped and the other lane is clear with no cars approaching, the car will just stop behind the traffic rather than go around.
2. Car changed lanes in the middle of an intersection. This is illegal. In fact, it is illegal to change lanes within 100 feet of an intersection.

FSD Supervised has been amazing, however there are a couple issues that need to be tweeked.
1. Street level: When traffic in front of the car is stopped and the other lane is clear with no cars approaching, the car will just stop behind the traffic rather than go around.
2. Car changed lanes in the middle of an intersection. This is illegal. In fact, it is illegal to change lanes within 100 feet of an intersection.
It's a common misconception - it is legal to change lanes in an intersection in many states, including California.

Are they yellow signs or white signs?

But yes, School Zones have yet to be conquered.
Don't forget security gates! My MYLR tries to kill me every day I approach my gate! tries to drive me to a ditch every single time even though the GPS is showing the correct way and it triggers the gate to open. The moment it senses there is a gate it begins the evasive maneuver to save me but in reality it is trying to kill me! I LMFAO at this stupid marvel every single time. And what's with the unnecessary lane change when nobody else is on the road. It seems like its trying to figure out the fastest lane when all lanes are wide open! And Elon keeps claiming it is FSD. LMFAO (It is still better than most other advanced cruise control although I have not tried the ones in MB, BMW or even Lexus that won an award recently)

Don't forget security gates! My MYLR tries to kill me every day I approach my gate! tries to drive me to a ditch every single time even though the GPS is showing the correct way and it triggers the gate to open. The moment it senses there is a gate it begins the evasive maneuver to save me but in reality it is trying to kill me! I LMFAO at this stupid marvel every single time. And what's with the unnecessary lane change when nobody else is on the road. It seems like its trying to figure out the fastest lane when all lanes are wide open! And Elon keeps claiming it is FSD. LMFAO (It is still better than most other advanced cruise control although I have not tried the ones in MB, BMW or even Lexus that won an award recently)
Dou you know that the map you see on the screen is not the map that the car uses? You see Google Maps, it uses OpenStreets.

Go read the details on the Mercedes L3 product. Lots of little bitty nit-picking restrictions. Like only on specific roads, only up to 45 mph, only when following another car.

It's easy to win an award when you do very little, but well. But Elon has indicated multiple times, that Tesla is not in that game.

Go read the details on the Mercedes L3 product. Lots of little bitty nit-picking restrictions. Like only on specific roads, only up to 45 mph, only when following another car.

It's easy to win an award when you do very little, but well. But Elon has indicated multiple times, that Tesla is not in that game.
I already said it is better than most other cruise control systems! Didn't I? Well! Just wanted to highlight that Tesla FSD (LOL) is trying to kill me every day!🤣
(They are all level 2/5 automated systems)

FSD is amazing...no question. These are some of the problems I have had. Is it FSD or me?
1. FSD compromised due to weather warning. To sensitive..I have had the warning with annoying beeps with cloudy weather and no rain.
2. Passing on highway. Moves into passing lane but does not accelerate to complete pass and lingers in passing lane too long. Sometimes does not return to right hand lane after pass completed. Will only move over if I activate turn signal.
3. How do I have FSD exceed posted speed limit. Sometimes traffic moves faster than limit and I would be holding up traffic if I strictly adhered to posted limit.

Any input appreciated!

2023LRY version 2024.3.15. My complaints with FSD are minor but...It seems that it "makes" decisions based on the assumption that other motorists will be rational and competent. E.g., I am on a three lane highway. Traffic is light to moderate. We are all traveling about 65mph. I am in the middle lane. The fast lane is unoccupied. I am passing a car that is in the slow lane. A large truck is merging alongside of him. FSD remains in our middle lane and powers through. Without FSD, I would have moved into the fast lane to avoid any possible danger arising from either the car in the slow lane or the merging truck failing to give way in a timely manner. Nothing happened, but I wish FSD had moved over into the fast lane in advance of the possible danger. I realize that I could have taken over, but I'm trying to learn to trust FSD and not always intervene.