Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have FSD, but I have not chosen at this time to enroll in FSD beta. Is there a downside to not having FSD Beta? My understanding is that although I have chosen to not enroll in FSD Beta, I will still get the full benefits of FSD when it is fully implemented. Is this correct? If not, can someone explain how this works? TIA

...although I have chosen to not enroll in FSD Beta, I will still get the full benefits of FSD when it is fully implemented. Is this correct?...
Correct.

When we paid for FSD, we didn't pay for an unfinished product or "beta". We paid for a consumer-quality product but it's just that it's not here just yet.

Just like when you bought a house, we didn't pay for an unfinished house with an empty plot of land with no roof with no governmental permits.

The regular FSD installed now on everyone's' car that paid for it is also Beta, as are auto wipers, and auto headlights -- for years now. Not getting FSD Beta does not mean you get a FSD that isn't Beta. It is all unfinished, and advertised as such. This is why I refer to my FSD Beta as FSD Advanced Beta to differentiate it from everyone else's FSD Beta.

The regular FSD installed now on everyone's' car that paid for it is also Beta, as are auto wipers, and auto headlights -- for years now. Not getting FSD Beta does not mean you get a FSD that isn't Beta. It is all unfinished, and advertised as such. This is why I refer to my FSD Beta as FSD Advanced Beta to differentiate it from everyone else's FSD Beta.
That’s just going to confuse people. You are calling FSD “beta” as an adjective, not as part of the name.

To clarify:
There is FSD the commercial product that is sold and includes a variety of features that anyone who paid for it gets:
And there is the FSD Beta software for volunteers who wish to test it out and who show they can be cautious drivers.

Eventually, once it is substantially better, FSD Beta will graduate to be part of the regular FSD program and those who did not join the Beta program but purchased FSD will receive it.

Reactions: AquaY and Korcar
What's equipped when you purchase FSD is your typical ADAS system you find in a lot of cars. Lane keep assist, auto lane change, dynamic cruise control, early collision warning and auto braking. It's false marketing and you're buying in on an interest free loan to Tesla so that they have the program $$$ to continue development on true autopilot. The fact that it is not transferable when you buy a new Tesla or to a new owner, is BS. By the time FSD goes public, my warranty will likely be expired and I'd want a new car after 4 years anyways. I didn't listen to others who told me to pass on FSD and pay the subscription fee, on-demand, for the times that you need to go on a road trip and need the functionality. Could have saved myself $10k for a vacation.

What's equipped when you purchase FSD is your typical ADAS system you find in a lot of cars. Lane keep assist, auto lane change, dynamic cruise control, early collision warning and auto braking. It's false marketing and you're buying in on an interest free loan to Tesla so that they have the program $$$ to continue development on true autopilot. The fact that it is not transferable when you buy a new Tesla or to a new owner, is BS. By the time FSD goes public, my warranty will likely be expired and I'd want a new car after 4 years anyways. I didn't listen to others who told me to pass on FSD and pay the subscription fee, on-demand, for the times that you need to go on a road trip and need the functionality. Could have saved myself $10k for a vacation.
Agreed. FSD should have been named: driver assist. And I also agree about the transferability, which is actually a step down from other manufacturers’ driver assist.

Even the beta as it currently exists is best thought of as a driver assist, albeit a much more advanced one.

I like all the bells and whistles so I would have bought it anyway. But I suspect vanilla FSD is more limited than most of the people purchasing it expected. Caveat emptor I guess.