Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone help me understand my FSD capabilities?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I have a 2021 Model 3. I'm in Canada.

From what I understand, I have NOT been sent the FSD (Supervised) beta or any FSD beta.

But yesterday, I saw in my app an "FSD Capability" subscription for 99/month. I think it was always there, both as a fixed price and recently as a subscription. I know they've just done these lowered price subs.

My question is: does this version allow me to drive around with it turning at intersections, or am I only eligible for it to get me on/off highway ramps?

Do I essentially have to wait for the "other" FSD?

It says FSD so I'm all confused!

Thank you for any insights!

Reactions: Adam3
Hello!

From what I understand, I have NOT been sent the FSD (Supervised) beta or any FSD beta.

But yesterday, I saw in my app an "FSD Capability" subscription for 99/month. I think it was always there, both as a fixed price and recently as a subscription. I know they've just done these lowered price subs.

My question is: does this version allow me to drive around with it turning at intersections, or am I only eligible for it to get me on/off highway ramps?

No more FSD confusion for your 2021 Tesla.

There used to be FSD that cannot do navigation on autopilot in the city.

There also used to be FSD beta that you had to pass a Safety Score to get in the program and FSD beta can do navigation on autopilot in the city too.

Now, there is only FSD that can do navigation on autopilot in the city.

The terminology is now FSD.

Just FSD: It's not called FSD beta but it does the same. It's not called navigation on autopilot in the city but it does the same.

I'm still a bit confused. Please bare with me!
My software I think might be very out-dated: 2022.44.25.3 -- but I don't see any other updates available when I sporadically connect to WiFi. Could this be part of the problem?
I.e. once i upgrade I can use autopilot to get me through the city, and it can turn at intersections, etc.?

My software I think might be very out-dated: 2022.44.25.3 -- but I don't see any other updates available when I sporadically connect to WiFi. Could this be part of the problem?
I.e. once i upgrade I can use autopilot to get me through the city, and it can turn at intersections, etc.?

Autopilot alone doesn't auto-turn at a city intersection.

When you pay or subscribe to FSD, it will automatically interact with a city intersection (stops or goes at lights/signs, turns if needed...)

Last edited:
Hello!

My guess is you are asking about Tesla free FSD trial.

If you didn't pay for FSD and you don't get an email saying enjoy your 30 day free FSD trial then you don't have FSD.

To get FSD, you need to have at least 1 of 3:

1. Pay FSD fully.
2. Subscribe FSD
3. Got a congratulation email to enjoy the free 30 day FSD trial.

No more FSD confusion for your 2021 Tesla.

There used to be FSD that cannot do navigation on autopilot in the city.

There also used to be FSD beta that you had to pass a Safety Score to get in the program and FSD beta can do navigation on autopilot in the city too.

Now, there is only FSD that can do navigation on autopilot in the city.

The terminology is now FSD.

Just FSD: It's not called FSD beta but it does the same. It's not called navigation on autopilot in the city but it does the same.
That just confused most people.

Hello!

It depends on the release of software that you car is on. If it past 2024.3.15, I believe maybe 2024.8, then you are too far ahead and Tesla is working to bring FSD 12 to those releases. If you are on 2024.3, then you probably have V12.
You can look at the release notes to see the FSD version as well.

It is odd that you don't have any software updates available to you. You should have got some 2023 or 2024 update by now. Maybe 2024.2.7 or the FSD trial 2024.3.10 or 3.15. Even without Wifi the car would still tell you the update is available and wait for Wifi to download it.

If you want to have the car turn at intersections then that is the FSD (Supervised) software. I see you are in Canada. Tesla just released the subscription in Canada on Saturday. Before we only had the option to buy outright. So now you can subscribe for $99CAD/month and get full FSD.

Currently Tesla is giving most people a 30 day free trial of FSD. There are some people that were already on too new of a software to get the trial but you don't seem to fall into that category being back on 2022 FW.

If you were to subscribe to the $99/month you should be updated to much newer software. However you may end up with V11 FSD or V12 FSD. Some of the software branches are still on V11 FSD and some on V12 FSD. Theoretically since you have old FW you should get moved to 2024.3.15 with V12 FSD. Regardless both V11 and V12 would be able to drive you through the city and make turns for you. V12 is just the latest and greatest version.

All that said, it is very strange that you have no updates available since the 2022 Xmas update you are still on. You may want to make a service ticket in the app and they may be able to push you an update or visit a nearby service centre.

It depends on the release of software that you car is on. If it past 2024.3.15, I believe maybe 2024.8, then you are too far ahead and Tesla is working to bring FSD 12 to those releases. If you are on 2024.3, then you probably have V12.
You can look at the release notes to see the FSD version as well.
He mentioned in a subsequent post he is on 2022 Christmas update still....yes 2022!! With no updates pending. Seems very strange.

Time to create a Service Request and indicate the version that you are on.

Sometimes cars get stuck.

I'm assuming that you are not on an older Model S or X, which may be running much older releases.