Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta tries to crash through light colored but not dark colored community gate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed FSD beta in my 2020 MY in Spring of 2021. From the onset, whenever I turn left off of the highway, it seems destined to blast through the light blue colored community gate. This happens very quickly but I always stop the car within a few feet of the gate. After the first time, I manually slow my speed to < 35 mph as it approached the left turn into my gated community. I gave Tesla verbal feedback, whenever I was able to. Sometime in late 2022 a change was made and my Tesla would stop on its own 4-5 feet from the gate. However, now it gets closer and I usually slam on my brakes about 3-5 feet before the gate. I don't know if it would eventually stop or actually go into the gate. Now that Tesla only gives you the opportunity to give verbal feedback if you interrupt FSD, I no longer get the opportunity to give verbal feedback. Maybe that is because FSD had started to stop but not soon enough for me to feel confident that it would stop.
I drive to another community nearby, which has a medium brown gate and my Tesla never has a problem with that gate. It stops if the gate is closed and proceeds slowly through the gate if it is already open.
Recently my HOA decided to replace the old gate and to paint the new gate an even light shade of light blue (to match the ocean in the background). I suggested that if we painted it dark brown, we might prevent an avoidable crash into the gate. My HOA board thinks that this is a Tesla problem and we should paint our gate which ever color we thinks is most esthetically pleasing (not dark brown). Since we will soon be replacing it, I suggested painting the side of the gate black to see if FSD would be better able to handle this gate. suggestion was turned down.
Has anyone else noticed that FSD has difficulty seeing light colored community gates and does better with dark colored gates?
I know that many of you will say that you would never use FSD in this situation. I do so in order to give Tesla the feedback that I hope will motivate them to fix this problem.

I installed FSD beta in my 2020 MY in Spring of 2021. From the onset, whenever I turn left off of the highway, it seems destined to blast through the light blue colored community gate. This happens very quickly but I always stop the car within a few feet of the gate. After the first time, I manually slow my speed to < 35 mph as it approached the left turn into my gated community. I gave Tesla verbal feedback, whenever I was able to. Sometime in late 2022 a change was made and my Tesla would stop on its own 4-5 feet from the gate. However, now it gets closer and I usually slam on my brakes about 3-5 feet before the gate. I don't know if it would eventually stop or actually go into the gate. Now that Tesla only gives you the opportunity to give verbal feedback if you interrupt FSD, I no longer get the opportunity to give verbal feedback. Maybe that is because FSD had started to stop but not soon enough for me to feel confident that it would stop.
I drive to another community nearby, which has a medium brown gate and my Tesla never has a problem with that gate. It stops if the gate is closed and proceeds slowly through the gate if it is already open.
Recently my HOA decided to replace the old gate and to paint the new gate an even light shade of light blue (to match the ocean in the background). I suggested that if we painted it dark brown, we might prevent an avoidable crash into the gate. My HOA board thinks that this is a Tesla problem and we should paint our gate which ever color we thinks is most esthetically pleasing (not dark brown). Since we will soon be replacing it, I suggested painting the side of the gate black to see if FSD would be better able to handle this gate. suggestion was turned down.
Has anyone else noticed that FSD has difficulty seeing light colored community gates and does better with dark colored gates?
I know that many of you will say that you would never use FSD in this situation. I do so in order to give Tesla the feedback that I hope will motivate them to fix this problem.
Maybe a few small reflectors on the gate would help? Easy enough to test.

Reactions: MitchMitch