Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front license plate reduces Homelink Garage Door opener range from 100 feet to 5 feet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 20 feet on my P85D. That compares to about 400 feet on my Infiniti home link where I can open the door as soon as I turn the corner and see my garage door all the way down the end of the street. In my P85D, I have to actually drive up on to the driveway to the front of the garage door. It's the shortest range I've ever had on homelink.

Consider me another data point with this value. My old 2004 Pathfinder would open the garage door from 4-5 houses away over its Homelink. The P85D needs to be right at the lip of the driveway. Ugh.

Is the plate mounted in the "standard" location on the nosecone? Mine is, and I can open my garage door from so far down the street I can barely see it. Some are using special techniques to avoid drilling into the nosecone and mounting the plate lower. I wonder if this could have anything to do with it?

I don't use a front plate and refuse to. Sorry, but screw 'em. I don't like the look. I'll pay the $20. But my range, without the front plate, is perhaps 30-50 ft. Though I do have an old Genie door opener. Works just fine, but it is probably an antique by now. The one thing I note is that the pop up to open is exceptionally consistent. It always comes up at the exact same point. I may have had a couple times when the door didn't open on first press. But I do not believe it is related to SW version.

It's $108 in the municipality where the enforcement golf cart might have driven half way across town to find something to ticket me for (I saw them in the corner of my eye sprint at me in their parking enforcement golf cart downtown and later the ticket was given while parked in the suburb shopping). Only $10 to clear ticket with fix and signoff. I suppose you could continually "fix" it and then "unfix" it right after.

Ya know, you would think that our local cops would have bigger issues to deal with than a darn license plate. But..."your tax dollars at work". Being in the county, as you are like me, as opposed to the city, is it a sheriff that is doing this? That is just plain ridiculous. Hello Zach Friend! He has brains and is a great guy. (He's our county supervisor for that area for those who have no idea what I am talking about) I know Phil Wowack, but sadly, he retired. (former Sheriff and also a great guy).

If it happens to me, I will unstick my front plate from my garage door and double stick to the front of the car, drive down there (think F-U), pay the fine and take it right off.

It continually amazes me how off base our American priorities are. There are SO MANY more important issues to address.

But I have to say that our sheriffs are generally outstanding. From personal experience. So I don't mean to beat them down. But come on.

It's $108 in the municipality where the enforcement golf cart might have driven half way across town to find something to ticket me for (I saw them in the corner of my eye sprint at me in their parking enforcement golf cart downtown and later the ticket was given while parked in the suburb shopping). Only $10 to clear ticket with fix and signoff. I suppose you could continually "fix" it and then "unfix" it right after.

Ya know, you would think that our local cops would have bigger issues to deal with than a darn license plate. But..."your tax dollars at work".
Agreed. My wife drove back over the Coquihalla Highway (mountain pass) on Saturday night around midnight in a snowstorm. Trucks were spun out on the worst hill, the road was closed for a while and it looked like winter was back. When the traffic started moving again in the one lane that was opened, up the other lane plowing through the chowder came a Ford Mustang with a utility trailer of some kind behind it, determined to pass the string of cars (around here, that's what's known as an a-hole... :wink: ). And sitting on the back of the trailer was some guy, dangling his legs over the edge. She thought she was seeing things until our 19 year old in the passenger seat said "did I just see what I think I saw?"

Yup. Where's a cop when you need one? I would suggest that behaviour was more dangerous to the general public than a missing front plate... with the number of complete morons walking amongst us, you'd think there would never be a dull moment where an officer of the law needed to stoop to license plate enforcement just to stay busy!

Sorry, that's completely off-topic, but so ridiculous it had to be shared... :cool:

If Tesla is using an "off the shelf" homelink module... and that is a BIG IF... those modules are very weird. They "figure out" a lot from your existing remote. I've seen a single module vary in range, a bunch, when reprogrammed over and over. Try reprogramming several times, testing range each time. Try fresh batteries in the remote you use to program. Try programming from farther away.

Maybe all voodoo. Maybe you'll hit some good programming.