Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog Lights Gone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure thing. While I don't want to unduly set expectation for timing and method (things Tesla will obviously want to do), my understanding is that this may take a little time to occur... so we might need to be patient, and when the time comes I'm sure they will either let us know, and/or we can raise some awareness here...
I appreciate the follow up on this. That sounds good. However, it's vagueness does lead me to have some doubts. I'm totally with you on the whole "buying into a philosophy" thing. I had my own personal interaction with Elon and George during the order process (regarding my challenges with my HOA). But there were items that were more specifically discussed and havent yet materialized (pano headliner, new visors). And also, the part about "people who ordered cars with the understanding that they would have fog lights will be entitled to receive the upgraded version at no cost" isnt specific. Is it only those who finalized in the window where it was still in the specs, but didn't get them? If not, then that can apply to everyone as they can just say, well i expected them as all the pictures have them, even anyone who finalizes today.

As I said, I'm actually OK without the fog lights, but I do feel entitled to them as I did finalize when they were on the spec sheet. And sure would love it if they do follow through on them.

Understood. During the conversation, there was some discussion of time frames and other changes coming down the pike, but they were "in process / subject to change" kind of comments, and I agreed to not post anything speculative or that might change before Tesla is ready to announce them. That having been said, the time frame was not ambiguous, and dependent on a couple of other things that are in the works.

Certainly I understand some folks may have doubts. At this point we have Elon's word and reputation, which is good enough for me until we see the issue finally resolved. Hopefully the recent action by Tesla in upgrading floor mats, relaxing service requirements, swapping out headliners, etc... gives us good reason to have confidence in them, and some patience with them.

(Incidentally, the sun-roof shade is something I've only seen referred to indirectly. Does anybody have a link to where the issue was actually addressed by Tesla? Thanks)

(Incidentally, the sun-roof shade is something I've only seen referred to indirectly. Does anybody have a link to where the issue was actually addressed by Tesla? Thanks)
2013/02/16: Model S Options Pricing | Tesla Motors
All Glass Panoramic Roof
With the All Glass Panoramic Roof, Model S is the only sedan capable of delivering a convertible-like drive experience every day. It's more than a sunroof: the entire roof is constructed from lightweight safety glass. With a simple swipe of the Touchscreen, it opens wider than any other sedan's panoramic roof. Manual sunshades and wind buffet arm are included. On even the hottest days, the innovative glass blocks 98% of visible light and 81% of heat to keep the cabin comfortable.
2012/01/14: Model S Options and Pricing | Tesla Motors
All Glass Panoramic Roof
With the All Glass Panoramic Roof, Model S is the only sedan capable of delivering a convertible-like drive experience every day. It's more than a sunroof: the entire roof is constructed from lightweight safety glass. With a simple swipe of the Touchscreen, it opens wider than any other panoramic roof on the market. Manual sunshades and wind buffet arm are included. On even the hottest days, the innovative glass blocks 93% of visible light and 79% of heat to keep the cabin comfortable.
So it was officially listed as part of the "Model S Pricing and Options" for more than a full year.

2012/09/11: Some discussion after it was "common knowledge" led to an e-mail question and response from GeorgeB:
Email to George Blankenship his response | Forums | Tesla Motors
Geoff2013 said:
George Blankenship said:
I don't think we've had any shades in our test drive cars. We discussed the future shade again in our exec meeting this past Wednesday. We rejected the third option that was presented by the team. I don't have an answer for you at this time on this subject. All I can tell you is that I am driving my car everyday with the panoramic roof and no sun shade and the sun is not a problem at all in the front seats. I think it is more impactful in the back seats. We will begin communicating more about this when we have an option we are happy with. Sorry I can't be more specific than that at this point.

That's all the official stuff I could find from a quick look back. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
So... I've had a bit of a dialog with Elon about this... and Elon has made good on his promise to review the issue, and Tesla is committed to making this right. From what I’ve been told, new-and-improved fog lights will make a re-appearance in the future as an option. People who ordered cars with the understanding that they would have fog lights will be entitled to receive the upgraded version at no cost.
Excellent. I have fog lights... but when they announce this, I may investigate the cost and value of the upgrade from the existing (better-than-nothing) fog lights to the new-and-improved fog lights.

Please update this thread if/when that ever happens. I would like to take advantage of this, and I assume they won't proactively contact us all to say "Come get your missing fog lights."
Indeed, I expect they won't. Remember what they did with the defroster vent retrofit -- it goes to those who ask.

Excellent. I have fog lights... but when they announce this, I may investigate the cost and value of the upgrade from the existing (better-than-nothing) fog lights to the new-and-improved fog lights.

And given the "new" ones will be an option, you may be able to recoup some investment by selling your previous :)

Indeed, I expect they won't. Remember what they did with the defroster vent retrofit -- it goes to those who ask.

I'm keeping emails. :wink:

Interestingly, Elon's most recent comment to me on the subject was a request to me to let him know if Tesla needs a reminder on this in the future... he pointed out that with 4,500 folks making 20K cars in a year, things could fall through the cracks.

I think that's probably an indicator that Tesla may simply be moving at a very fast rate... more so than any purposeful attempt to not follow through on verbal commitments up to this point. Hopefully we can continue a respectful and constructive dialog with them.

And the fact they are very, very busy is a great thing for all concerned! :)

Great work scaesare!

I guess we can add the Fog Light update/retrofit, to our list of rear seat floor mats, and eventual opportunity console availability.
Thanks

Thanks, DLM270. Picking up my car Friday, so I'll be interested in what I get included, or will be on the due bill.

I had a conversation with the guy at the service center today... and I asked about stuff that seems to have an upgrade available, like the window defroster vent, and if that's by request only or will have been updated at the factory. He couldn't really tell me.

We need a comprehensive list of stuff to check for on our cars... hmm maybe I should go find that "car pickup checklist" I've seen floating around...

Hehe... he actually admitted it'a lot like Jobs/Apple... they hear stuff announced and decide they figure out how they better start doing it...

One of the growing pains of an uber-fast growth company, I'd guess.

I'll say this though.. I kind of like the ability to "eavesdrop" on the work-in-progress stuff... not that it's without it's cons... but I get the impression that Tesla is really trying to do it right "real time"....

So... I've had a bit of a dialog with Elon about this... and Elon has made good on his promise to review the issue, and Tesla is committed to making this right. From what I’ve been told, new-and-improved fog lights will make a re-appearance in the future as an option. People who ordered cars with the understanding that they would have fog lights will be entitled to receive the upgraded version at no cost.

I have to say the guy is a class act. I feel like I'm buying in to a philosophy about car building a much as I'm buying a car. My thanks to him for taking customer feedback in to account.

I'd also like to thank folks here for being measured and constructive in their postings on this thread. My goal was to come across as an enthusiast community that wants to partner with Tesla for their success, and I hope we did that.

@scaesare,

Your predictions are starting to come true! Now with today's announcement of many things including the "newly designed" fog lights, what do you think are our prospects of getting the retrofit (for those of us with the original pre-2012 price-increase tech package that included them but discovered missing in the car)?

Now that the new fog lights have been announced, do you think those of us who ordered the car with the expectation of receiving fogs but didn't will be offered the free retrofit as previously posted on this thread? Lots of exciting things happening at Tesla. Hope they remember this offer to us. Fingers crossed.

Now that the new fog lights have been announced, do you think those of us who ordered the car with the expectation of receiving fogs but didn't will be offered the free retrofit as previously posted on this thread? Lots of exciting things happening at Tesla. Hope they remember this offer to us. Fingers crossed.

Yes, my guess is they will. My question is, for those of us with the old useless fog lights, will be get a free upgrade?

Yep my fingers are crossed as well. I bought my car with the old tech package and the expectation that they would be included when the car was delivered.