Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FOB and windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should NEVER remove features. That's basically stealing from us.

Personally, I consider deleting the fob-window-down feature a feature improvement, not a loss. If it's available I would use it maybe twice a year. I false trigger it more often than that. Really bad to false trigger it - you could get something stolen or have your interior soaked by a thunderstorm.

I think this feature should be moved to the phone app.

Personally, I consider deleting the fob-window-down feature a feature improvement, not a loss. If it's available I would use it maybe twice a year. I false trigger it more often than that. Really bad to false trigger it - you could get something stolen or have your interior soaked by a thunderstorm.

Then they should fix it, not remove it.

Then they should fix it, not remove it.

Agreed. What's the best way to fix a feature that some people absolutely hate and others absolutely love? An on/off preference in the car config. I hope that's what they end up doing. Second best is just make it a little more complicated to activate, so that it is still easy on purpose, but your butt/thigh can no longer figure out how to do it on it's own. Bad butt! No!

Not, AGAIN!

Tesla should NEVER remove features. That's basically stealing from us. Didn't they learn their lesson with the air suspension? What if they went around ripping off the spoilers from cars without asking us? Would that be ok??? NO.

I use this a lot too. Last time I used it was a week or two ago it worked fine. That may have been 5.8 though.

I am going to try this when I get home. If it is really removed, I am going to send them another complaint.

I really do not get it!. No notice but hidden in amongst upgrades and improvements. Tesla, stop already. Never had a problem with the windows but used that feature frequently. Once again we all "pay the price" for the issues of a few. Guess I am glad that Tesla is watching over me, for my own good . . .

Agreed. And you should be able to roll the windows up as well as down, although I'd really like the "down" to be just enough to let some air in, not all the way down. Because it's an all-or-nothing, I never used the feature.

What's the best way to fix a feature that some people absolutely hate and others absolutely love? An on/off preference in the car config...Second best is just make it a little more complicated to activate...

#1 isn't really a "fix" as it just allows you to enable/disable the flawed design. I agree with your second point, though.. make it harder to activate on accident and we're back in business.

I am glad the feature is no longer on the FOB. It is a feature I never used. Putting it on the phone app sounds like a good solution. I wonder if tesla could give us the option to select what we want the middle button to do on the keyfob and program the keyfob accordingly.

I'm glad to see others discussing this. It's clear the previous implementation was not satisfactory for everyone. I personally liked it, but I can understand the concern about accidental triggers. I wish Tesla would at least acknowledge changes like this in the release notes so we don't have to figure out for ourselves that it's a feature change rather than a bug. I wrote an e-mail and suggested that they find a way to bring it back, either by changing the method (i.e. multiple clicks with hold down) or adding an on/off toggle in the car's settings. I'd also like to see it work in reverse when any of the windows are down, and have both functions represented in the app as well.

I've never accidentally "pocket-opened" my trunk for frunk. Reassign the push-and-hold to roll down windows to either (or both) of these buttons and call it a day. Easy.

Better, yet. Make the frunk push-and-hold roll down and make the trunk push-and-hold roll up (including pano close).

or.. frunk button rolls down windows when up, rolls up windows when down and the trunk button opens pano when closed, closes pano when open.

or.. nevermind.

Some states in Australia have a law against having your window down in an unattended car. Maybe the imminent release here is to blame?! Crazy law...

really? what if you don't have windows? I understand the no window down for drag strips

I didn't realize this feature was removed until yesterday when it was 80F in Humboldt again!!! what the hell is going on here?
frunk button for the feature would be nice as others have said, plus a slider for on/off ...and a roll up feature, yes please

- - - Updated - - -

...I think this feature should be moved to the phone app.

I can't use the feature then...unless I have wifi in a parking lot and an ipod in my hand...not happening

...unless I have wifi in a parking lot and an ipod in my hand...not happening

I hear they're making a dial-in touch-tone menu driven option for these...
80s-brick-cell-phone.jpg

:wink:

I hear they're making a dial-in touch-tone menu driven option for these...
View attachment 49329

:wink:

might just need to pick up one of those. so much smaller than I remember. I bet you could play music with the buttons even, kind of looks like that is what he is doing?

I should get a suit like that too come to think of it. and sell some vacuums maybe

how about a Roof, Roof, Frunk, Trunk, Frunk, Trunk, Roof, Roof to open everything and Trunk, Funk, Trunk , Frunk, Double Roof tap to close.
or maybe just add an accelerometer to the fob and make it a programmable waving motion. Backhand, uppercut to a Tebow pose. windows open

Last edited:
imo having an option to raise / lower / raise+lower from the FOB would be ideal, but removing the feature completely is superior to leaving it in.

The failure mode for not having the feature is inconvenience.

The failure mode for having the feature in and accidentally activating it can result in soaked interior from rain or snow, invitation to theft/vandalism, etc..

If I were Tesla and knew it would take a few months to implement the new feature, the first thing I'd do is remove it altogether and then add the new one when it's ready.

This feature exists on my other two cars and has never been an issue. Why is this all of a sudden an issue on the Tesla? Button design on the fob? I'm confused. While I don't use the feature often, I didn't mind having it, when I was walking towards the car and wanted to lower all the windows because of the heat.

This feature exists on my other two cars and has never been an issue. Why is this all of a sudden an issue on the Tesla?

It's just the way the fob is designed. I have a fob on a different car that always wants to sound the alarm. I've learned to be very careful with both those fobs as the Model S rolled down the windows when it was pouring rain.