Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire procedure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the end of my flat tire story is a bit uglier. Had the car towed to Discount Tire. Worst experience ever. First, they quoted me the wrong tires. Then when we got they worked out the tires had to be sent in from the local warehouse and that took all day. They never called me to tell me the car was ready. When I called, it had "just finished", but I was later told that it sat there for hours done.

But the real kicker was on my way home (3 miles) I hear the warning beep again and see the message, "Tire Pressure Very Low. PULL OVER SAFELY". Crap.

Luckily I was near a Mazda dealership. Pulled in there and the guys were great. After a few minutes talking to them about they car and gathering quite a crowd, they put air in the tires. Found that the valve stems in both rear tires were loose. The air from the dealership held until I could get back to Discount Tire. After a lot of apologies from the manager and some investigation they told me that their computer gave them the wrong code for the washer and nut set used to attach the valve stems. The computer was national so I'm a bit skeptical as I've seen other posts about people using Discount Tire. Regardless, I won't be returning to a Discount Tire anywhere for replacement tires again.

Got the TPMS warning; it had lost 1/3 of the pressure by the time I stopped 15 minutes later and measured.

Had to use Tesla's $50 compressor and temporary fix kit when I got a long screw near the sidewall. Slowed down the leak so it held 44psi overnight. Took it in to Tesla service (BTW they only replace--not repair--tires). $196 for the Goodyear, $40 labor.

Asked for a replacement sealant canister; tried to sell me the whole $50 package. Saw later on Tesla website (maybe Owner's Manual) that they supply replacements. By then I had ordered one via Amazon, $15.
41jQbHtLEmL._SY100_.jpg Slime 10100 Safety Spair Refill Sold by Amazon.com LLC

One week later. Another tire gone, leaked even faster (lost half overnight). Haven't spotted anything yet. Used replacement, just ordered another. Holding so far.

Last edited:
Flat tire procedure?

I'm waiting patiently for my Model X (production #114). Today, my ICE ended up with a flat tire on the side of interstate in the pouring down rain. As I waited for AAA to get me going (with less than 45 minutes of downtime), I wondered about my upcoming Tesla. I'm aware that the Model S doesn't have a spare on board. What is the official procedure for a flat? Do you call AAA and ask them to bring a tire (unlikely?), or call Tesla Roadside Service (and wait a very long time -- the closest service center is almost 2 hours away)? I know I read a thread here of people who found a space that can work with the Model S and fit inside the frunk of some (early?) VINs, but was curious as to what the expected procedure would be without a spare. Have you experienced a flat and how did you handle it?

When I had a flat I called roadside assistance and asked them to come get our car. I was lucky that I discovered a slow leak while parked in our garage. The tires were at the end of their tread life, so the service center convinced me to install a new set of four.

Gotcha. I wonder how long it would take Tesla to get up to my neck of the woods here in rural Pennsylvania. I might have had to catch a ride back to the office until Tesla got here... or maybe just have AAA tow it back to the house and wait for Tesla there. Hmm...

This has been my first flat in probably five years, but was just wondering. :)

Tesla roadside assistance doesn't only rely on service centers. They contract with other companies, so you don't need to be near a service center to use it. Now, they may end up towing, if the tire can't be repaired on site, but that's probably no different than AAA.

......... I know I read a thread here of people who found a space that can work with the Model S and fit inside the frunk of some (early?) VINs, but was curious as to what the expected procedure would be without a spare. Have you experienced a flat and how did you handle it?

Even if you had a spare, I can't say I've seen a TESLA jack. Probably would need a small floor jack.
I've done a few repairs with the plug tool kit. It's not that easy, especially accessing the rear tires. Prepare to get down and dirty. (very low Tech)

Very few cars have spares these days so it's not a problem isolated to the Model S or X.

I wonder if that's a regional thing. My last car's owners manual talked about a flat repair kit "if the car is not equipped with a spare", however the car could not be ordered without the spare tire here where I live.

- - - Updated - - -

I've done a few repairs with the plug tool kit. It's not that easy, especially accessing the rear tires. Prepare to get down and dirty. (very low Tech)

My wife's ICE picked up a nail and I tried to repair it this way over the weekend. I've had success doing this in the past, but no luck this time! I ended up mounting the spare and taking the wheel in to a tire shop for a proper patch/plug repair.

I'm waiting patiently for my Model X (production #114). Today, my ICE ended up with a flat tire on the side of interstate in the pouring down rain. As I waited for AAA to get me going (with less than 45 minutes of downtime), I wondered about my upcoming Tesla. I'm aware that the Model S doesn't have a spare on board. What is the official procedure for a flat? Do you call AAA and ask them to bring a tire (unlikely?), or call Tesla Roadside Service (and wait a very long time -- the closest service center is almost 2 hours away)? I know I read a thread here of people who found a space that can work with the Model S and fit inside the frunk of some (early?) VINs, but was curious as to what the expected procedure would be without a spare. Have you experienced a flat and how did you handle it?

The spare (and, in fact, a 19" Tesla OEM wheel/tire combo) should fit in the frunk of all VINs. Mine is a December '13 build with the smaller frunk and the spare fits fine.

You can use any jack that has a sufficient weight rating (which really means almost any jack).

I can't say I've seen a TESLA jack. Probably would need a small floor jack.

Now you see it, off a 1996 Olds 3.1 L V6. Fits in Frunk along with snow tire, some scraps of wood and uses the MS lug wrench. Be sure the jack you get is off at least a V6 and is in pristine shape. It has to be able to lift 1200 pounds. The tire is off the ground in this photo.

MS.jack.1996.olds.3.1L.jpg

--

Last edited:
Smaller frunk??? I thought it was just the cubby hole that's not as deep due to the DC/DC converter relocation. Is the rest of the frunk area smaller too?

I thought it went into the left side of the main area of the frunk (stage right) and changed the contour of the main compartment, but I could be wrong about that.

. . Probably would need a small floor jack. .

Aluminum low-profile floor jack on super-sale at Harbor Freight which I could not resist at $69-US. My scale shows ~28 lbs plus 3 lbs for the 2 piece handle. You still need the piece of wood flooring as well as a scrap of plywood in case of soft earth. Rated at 1.5 Ton (3000 lbs). Very nice jack.

Alum.floor.jack.jpg

--