Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker Karma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good, so they at least have that. I'm still not sure how they can call it a sports sedan though? Is the Stealth Mode 0-60 sprint quicker? Haven't seen much on handling, maybe it's sporty in that regard.

In stealth mode the 0-60 was 7.7 seconds, which isn't that much quicker than the volt, but I read that a while ago. since the sport mode was de-rated to 6.3 seconds recently maybe stealth mode followed suit. which would put it right at the same 0-60 as a volt (in stealth)

that 20mpg figure is horrid. If it was near 30 mpg then that's respectable. What sort of testing did fisker do to arrive at 50 miles of ev range and the epa got 32? Chevy promised 40 and got 36 which is pretty close. 50 to 32 is a huge drop.

This is what happens when you over design and give not even a thought to functionality. The karma's weight of over 5k lbs doesn't help and I wonder about its drag coefficient number. 52mpge is the worse of any car I've seen.

Doug was right when he joked that Fisker had to explain the epa cert. was damage control.

I found a 0.31 coefficient of drag mentioned somewhere for the Karma. That combined with a big frontal area makes for a lot of drag.
0.25 is the gold standard. If you want to play at being an efficient automobile, you've got to be flirting with 0.25

And it only got 52mpge in all electric mode. That's roughly half of the Volt (93mpge), Leaf (99mpge), and Roadster (119mpge)! And that with disappointing performance for its class, especially in all electric mode (it's not much better in Sport mode, with the recent tweak in the specs, and with 20mpg in Sport mode).

Calculating the emissions on the average US grid: 1 gal / 52 miles * 33.7kWh/gal * 1.267lbsCO2/kWh US average 2009 * 1/94.15% grid efficiency = 0.872lbsCO2/mi
(19.4lbsCO2/gal) / (0.872lbsCO2/mi) / (83% refining and distribution efficiency) = emissions equivalent of a 26.8mpg gas car.

Ouch! Hopefully the Nina is much better, but I can see lots of conservative attacks coming against Fisker (given the amount of criticism the Volt got, even though it is comparatively quite good). Hopefully it doesn't hurt the whole plug-in movement, esp. the BEV one (with Fisker following in GM footsteps and insisting to call it an electric car)!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Checked out your web page, I would be interested from an interior designer perspective, your opinion of Tesla's interior. There are several threads that mention the state of the interior, please consider posting in one of them.

I appreciate the invitation, I'll take for the threads and see if there is something I can add. :biggrin:

This is what happens when you over design and give not even a thought to functionality.

Henrik Fisker is the Designer. The drive train was supplied by Quantum. Who was in charge to verify its efficiency? Was there a product architect? If yes, did he open his mouth and was overruled by Henrik?
As long as this story is not told, I stand back from blaming Henrik for the disappointing efficiency.

Henrik Fisker is the Designer. The drive train was supplied by Quantum. Who was in charge to verify its efficiency? Was there a product architect? If yes, did he open his mouth and was overruled by Henrik?
As long as this story is not told, I stand back from blaming Henrik for the disappointing efficiency.

He's the CEO. Buck stops there. Period.

I think, because of the drive train design, (where the care runs purely off the electric motors and they need the ginormous generator), they will only improve the cars specs when they can get a better ICE installed and possibly more powerful electric motors.

A better idea; chuck the batteries, generator and electric motors, then install a better ICE and a drive shaft. You'd lose a thousand pounds of weight and have the performance to match the looks of the car.

And everyone is still focusing on the 20mpg number. It says this about the 52mpge number: "52 mpg-e overall rating".
I've seem numerous reports that says the same, assuming the 52mpge number is a mix of electric and gas, when it is actually the electric only rating. When the sticker comes out, it'll be clearer, but it demonstrates how misleading the Fisker press release was.

This article points to what we are all concerned about:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...armas-low-mpgs-hurt-doe-car-tech-loan-program
I find even though I criticize the efficiency of the Karma, most of the time I end up having to defend Fisker, the DOE loan program, and the $7.5k tax credit in articles talking about this news. There's too many responses saying this is the next Solyndra without being aware of the specifics.

Sure seems like they overestimated things in the past:
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/08/18/474539.html
...The Fisker Karma ... achieving well over 100mpg...

Fisker Karma Second Drive - Motor Trend

...Fuel economy is calculated as 98 mpg combined...

Quantum Divisions: Fisker Automotive - Quantum Technologies
...We believe in less compromise and more efficiency...

QUANTUM OEM - Q-Drive - Quantum Technologies
...The Q-Drive system takes full advantage of the performance potential of electric drive systems while achieving high fuel mileage...
Benefits of the Q-Drive system include optimized fuel efficiency and superior performance...

Last edited:
Hopefully, next year, Tesla can launch the S (successfully) and show them how it's done. I may be fan-boy blind, but it was quite obvious to me from the beginning that compared to Fisker and Aptera, Tesla had the best chance of not only delivering the best car (and sticking to their estimates since they'd danced this dance before), but also the best chance at delivering a car that would help change the opinion of EVs in general and perhaps.... bring on a revolution.

Honorable mentions go to the leaf (too short of a range IMO) and the Coda sedan (but also short-ranged, bland even by ICE standards, and possibly vaporware).

I wonder how many politicians will rally behind Tesla next year, using them as their halo bet... Or if they'll just ignore them.

Yeah, I was always apposed to having any gasoline in the car for various reasons including extra regulations and complexity.

Hear you on the 'honorable mentions', although the LEAF is fairly close to the mark. I think they are a battery-cost-reduction-breakthrough and a minor restyle away from having a big seller...

Postscript: I will say, though, that the Fisker Karma does serve a social purpose — Hollywood celebrities and the ultra rich, who want to display their green credentials, no longer have to be stuck with a little econobox. They can now enjoy a little leg room and luxury.

Very little leg room for some, but this rings true even if the rest of the article had a weird vibe.

Not entirely sure this is the same author, but I already disputed a similar argument around the time when the EPA stickers first came out.

1) He is using average powerplant efficiency numbers (32.8%) from the 1990s (Clinton administration).
2) His method assumes all electricity in the US is made from fossil fuel plants, which ignores substantial electricity made from non-fossil fuel plants (like nuclear, hydro, and renewables).
3) When measuring environmental impact, it is better to directly measure emissions equivalence rather than "efficiency" since you can't factor in non-fossil fuel plants any other way.

His articles don't seem to get much audience, so doesn't seem particularly influential.

Last edited:

I think Fisker has more to worry about explaining their EPA rating, all-electric range, and their loan situation (even though I've clarified a lot in comments that $169.3mil of the $528.7mil loan to Fisker when to US engineering and design of the Karma, with the rest going to Nina). They better put on the flame suit, because this is just the start of the media circus.

On the other hand, Tesla is safe for now, given manufacturing is in California. People can say it is risky, but they can't say much beyond that because the car isn't out yet. And when it does come out, I don't see how anyone can say a 300 mile EV with the cargo, passenger, and performance capabilities of the Model S isn't innovation (even a lot of the EV critics won't have much to say besides from complaining about price).

On the article overall. Seems like an inflammatory title, which I have already seen many internet commenters take at face value without bothering to read the rest of the article. It's also interesting they have so much of Sexton's comments and how they don't seem that positive on the DOE loans.