Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Transcontinental Superchargers-only Road Trip: it's happening NOW!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
John and Jill arrived at the Hawthorne Superchargers, in Ivy (their green Model S), at 5:35pm PST. Big like! Major kudos to all who made this trip possible, and especially to the intrepid travelers, who left NY before the Superchargers in Cheyenne and Kingman were even online, braved harsh winter conditions across the upper Midwest, and made history by completing the first all-Supercharger crossing of the continent. Well done, indeed!

John and Jill arrived at the Hawthorne Superchargers, in Ivy (their green Model S), at 5:35pm PST. Big like! Major kudos to all who made this trip possible, and especially to the intrepid travelers, who left NY before the Superchargers in Cheyenne and Kingman were even online, braved harsh winter conditions across the upper Midwest, and made history by completing the first all-Supercharger crossing of the continent. Well done, indeed!

Here, here! :)

Well said! Congrats to John and Jill. And thank you Tesla for making this possible.

Great HISTORY!
Sooo....
Who will be first to trek from West to East Coast in their Model S?

John? - - After he visits Fremont?
(Jill is flying back to Hoboken.)

- - - Updated - - -

lol same difference

I think the difference is weight. Yes other cars with low profiles are susceptible to the same kind of damage. BUT, the MS is much heavier than the general ICE car. Even double the weight of many. If I remember my high school physics, force = mass * acceleration. therefore two cars driving the same speed, the force exerted on the tire/wheel in the MS will be much higher than it's non-EV equivalent. I think that's why we're seeing a lot of posts from people getting flats from potholes.

Don't get me wrong. I love the 21s. LOOOVE them. They look great. but if your roads aren't super smooth and they aren't maintained (NJ/NY) and they have lots of potholes, lookout - because one's got your name on it. lol

Just saw pictures of their car pulling into Hawthorne.
They have standard 19" wheels....not 21s with low profile tires.

I don't know if they changed wheels anywhere or what they started out with, but those are DEFINITELY 19s.

Does anyone else find it odd that no one representing Tesla Motors was apparently there to meet them at Hawthorne? I know Tesla was aware of the trip: John himself was feeding photos and comments to a contact in TM and I sent an email to the Supercharger team on Friday morning concerning the trip. The team has always responded to my messages in the past, but not this time. It sure seems like a big fail for the marketing and publicity people at Tesla to miss this opportunity.

Does anyone else find it odd that no one representing Tesla Motors was apparently there to meet them at Hawthorne? I know Tesla was aware of the trip: John himself was feeding photos and comments to a contact in TM and I sent an email to the Supercharger team on Friday morning concerning the trip. The team has always responded to my messages in the past, but not this time. It sure seems like a big fail for the marketing and publicity people at Tesla to miss this opportunity.
As I posted on the TM board:
First of all, I echo the congratulations! I sit here in envy of being able to pull that off.

But I'm afraid I must agree that "official" TM's complete ignoring of the accomplishment seems a bit odd, maybe even arrogant. But then communication skills, as have been noted for many years, are the blind spot in Tesla's personna. A shame. Perhaps they're just jealous that somebody beat them to it. Come on TM, man-up.

Yes, very surprising. Maybe they don't wanna steal Elon's thunder for his trip, but this is a monumental moment in the history of EVs...not someone taking 2 weeks and charging on 120v with hours long stops at weird spots and driving 35mph to make the trip. This was accomplished in a few days, on superchargers under some of the most arduous conditions anyone would ever want to drive in. The days of range anxiety are gone or numbered...and along with it another excuse why EVs aren't good enough.

Just finished dinner with everyone who showed up for the historic event. This is really going to change people's attitudes.

Free cross country in the harshest conditions imaginable. Snow, wind, bitter cold. No problems. Proud to be an owner and a member of such and incredible community of like-minded individuals who want MORE for their planet and something better for the road.

amazing achievement

Just finished dinner with everyone who showed up for the historic event. This is really going to change people's attitudes.

Free cross country in the harshest conditions imaginable. Snow, wind, bitter cold. No problems. Proud to be an owner and a member of such and incredible community of like-minded individuals who want MORE for their planet and something better for the road.

Agree! I can't say how it fills me with hope to see this happening in my lifetime.

Did you notice or hear of anyone taking any video(s)?

Catch any stats (total miles driven, total number of hours taken, total amount of time spent supercharging...)?