Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First new Tesla - which one to get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

First the preamble:
I've decided to get a new Tesla and I have been agonising over which one to get for weeks now. I would like to take advantage of the current 0% PCP on a new M3 (RWD long range) as I think it has everything I need - although the MY (RWD) has everything I probably want (rather than need) with the extra space and higher seat position. The latter has a PCP at 4.9%, which is still comparatively good, but not 0% which is hard to beat these days and makes the M3 very affordable. I was about to bite the bullet and order the M3 but I have a couple of nagging questions which I hope one or some of you can help with.

Background:
I live about 25 miles from work, and have to go in most days so either car would work for the commute. I have three daughters (and two dogs) which I think could squeeze into the model 3 if needed, but we also have a van for longer trips. There is still part of me which worries about that wardrobe I'm going to have to move in the future at some point but the reality is the Model 3 would serve almost all of my needs. And if I did a longer trip, the M3 has the longer range which, from what I can tell, will save probably around an hour per trip depending on the distance.

The questions:
1. With the rear-wheel drive I understand the LFP battery is included for all new RWD models, which I believe to be the 'better' of the batteries. Is it that case that these will be the batteries included in the Model 3 / Y RWD if I buy new?
2. Is the LFP the superior battery? Everything I'm reading suggests so but I suspect there must be some draw backs.
3. I just, as I was about to order, noticed that the Model 3 RWD long range is partial premium. The Model Y seems to be full premium and, again reading through what I can find, I'm not entirely clear on the difference on these later models. I can (just about) live with inferior sound system, although I love my music, but I saw some write-ups which suggested I couldn't stream which might be a deal breaker. Any thoughts or advice on the differences would be much appreciated as it may mean I need to revisit the Model Y.

Any help or support in the decision making would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
I’m the proud new owner of a M3 RWD. I considered the MY, but my use case is a daily commute vehicle (55 miles round trip) where it will only be myself and the occasional run to the stores on the weekend, the extra cost for the MY just did not make sense to me. If we were looking for a family hauler, the M3 would not be large enough (I have three teenage kids and like you, we have a van as our family vehicle). Good luck with your decision!
The Model 3 drives better. I personally prefer a sedan, and don't find myself drawn towards SUVs the way so many others in my country are.

If it's actually 10k more for the MY, that also more than pays for a M3LR, which has the premium interior as well.

Just a heads up, in the US Tesla has been discounting many inventory cars a few thousand less than built to order cars. You can also save $500 with a referral link from an existing owner (I'm happy to help there, LOL).

Upvote 0
Be careful! If you are planning on applying for the $7,500 tax credit you must purchase the car. From what I know a PCP is a form of leasing, so you will want to check on this.

An additional point to consider is that you can get a factory tow hitch on the model Y but not on the Model 3. If you put an after market tow hitch on the 3 and tow a trailer, if Tesla can make the argument that towing caused as issue, such to the motor, etc, they will deny warranty coverage.

Reactions: Deaf Paul
Upvote 0
2. Is the LFP the superior battery? Everything I'm reading suggests so but I suspect there must be some draw backs.
LFP batteries appear to have less degradation (most are reporting 4-5% over 18 months, versus often more for NCA and NMC batteries), with less sensitivity to charging and driving habits (i.e. high state of charge is less likely to make a noticeable difference).

LFP batteries are larger and heavier for the same capacity, so that is why the standard range uses LFP but the long range uses NMC.

LFP battery chemistry is less likely to catch fire if damaged or defective.

LFP batteries supposedly have worse cold weather performance.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Background:
I live about 25 miles from work, and have to go in most days so either car would work for the commute. I have three daughters (and two dogs) which I think could squeeze into the model 3 if needed, but we also have a van for longer trips. There is still part of me which worries about that wardrobe I'm going to have to move in the future at some point but the reality is the Model 3 would serve almost all of my needs. And if I did a longer trip, the M3 has the longer range which, from what I can tell, will save probably around an hour per trip depending on the distance.
Consider more than range - consider charging availability and speed of charging. If you can charge at, say 200 miles because a Supercharger exists there, then you don't really need 250, 280, 300 mile range. Better yet, there are two supercharger stations at ideal distances such that you could do 2 fast charges in less time than one long deep charge.
The questions:
1. With the rear-wheel drive I understand the LFP battery is included for all new RWD models, which I believe to be the 'better' of the batteries. Is it that case that these will be the batteries included in the Model 3 / Y RWD if I buy new?
3. I just, as I was about to order, noticed that the Model 3 RWD long range is partial premium. The Model Y seems to be full premium and, again reading through what I can find, I'm not entirely clear on the difference on these later models. I can (just about) live with inferior sound system, although I love my music, but I saw some write-ups which suggested I couldn't stream which might be a deal breaker. Any thoughts or advice on the differences would be much appreciated as it may mean I need to revisit the Model Y.s
I got confused too by all the hype around 4680 and LFP. Sounds like the greatest improvement since sliced bread, but it also appears that 4680 batteries:
-charge slower than 2170's
-have less charge overall than 2170's
-are put into the lower-range vehicles. I don't know whether or not the battery pack in these vehicles are smaller than 2170's, but they do not seem to provide either performance or long range at this point in their development.

So - be suspicious. If you have range anxiety, get the long range variant.

As to which car to get? That's a no-brainer if you ignore the PCP rates. You have a family with dogs - that just screams Model Y, 5-seat version, with after-market floor mats and pet seat covers. You sound to me to be choosing the car you'd rather pay for than the one you'd rather own.

Upvote 0
If you have kids and dogs, this is an easy Model Y LR and I would opt for the 7 config to have that option, you lose very little storage space. To me there is no legit argument for a model 3 except cost or you are only gonna drive it to commute with no one else. If you absolutely can’t afford the Y, then I would encourage you to look at a different brand. Fitting multiple kids, car seats, stroller, bags etc in a 3 sucks.

Reactions: heymull
Upvote 0
If you have kids and dogs, this is an easy Model Y LR and I would opt for the 7 config to have that option, you lose very little storage space. To me there is no legit argument for a model 3 except cost or you are only gonna drive it to commute with no one else. If you absolutely can’t afford the Y, then I would encourage you to look at a different brand. Fitting multiple kids, car seats, stroller, bags etc in a 3 sucks.

The Model 3 is a decently roomy sedan. It might look small from the outside, but there's no driveshaft (causing the middle seat floor bump) and ample rear legroom (IMO). I assume the OP understood what it entails to have it full of occupants (including dogs)... and we don't actually know if car seats are part of the equation.

My Model 3 has a car seat right behind me, and we routinely also have a booster seat next to it (middle seat), a teenager next to that, and another teenager in the front seat. No dogs though. For some people, that seems crowded... for us it's totally acceptable.

Edit: the trunk is roomy too, definitely can fit baggage and a stroller back there. We make ours walk though. If anyone's going to get chauffered in a stroller it'll be me.

Upvote 0
The Model 3 is a decently roomy sedan. It might look small from the outside, but there's no driveshaft (causing the middle seat floor bump) and ample rear legroom (IMO). I assume the OP understood what it entails to have it full of occupants (including dogs)... and we don't actually know if car seats are part of the equation.

My Model 3 has a car seat right behind me, and we routinely also have a booster seat next to it (middle seat), a teenager next to that, and another teenager in the front seat. No dogs though. For some people, that seems crowded... for us it's totally acceptable.

Edit: the trunk is roomy too, definitely can fit baggage and a stroller back there. We make ours walk though. If anyone's going to get chauffered in a stroller it'll be me.
All possible and acceptable, it just sucks in my opinion. Been there and done that. Give me the Y all day.

Reactions: father_of_6
Upvote 0
I’m the proud new owner of a M3 RWD. I considered the MY, but my use case is a daily commute vehicle (55 miles round trip) where it will only be myself and the occasional run to the stores on the weekend, the extra cost for the MY just did not make sense to me. If we were looking for a family hauler, the M3 would not be large enough (I have three teenage kids and like you, we have a van as our family vehicle). Good luck with your decision!

Reactions: father_of_6
Upvote 0
Solution
Be careful! If you are planning on applying for the $7,500 tax credit you must purchase the car. From what I know a PCP is a form of leasing, so you will want to check on this.

An additional point to consider is that you can get a factory tow hitch on the model Y but not on the Model 3. If you put an after market tow hitch on the 3 and tow a trailer, if Tesla can make the argument that towing caused as issue, such to the motor, etc, they will deny warranty coverage.
If he gets a tax credit from Uncle Sam while in the UK, I'm calling my congressman! 🤣🤪

• Funny
Reactions: Darmie and ATPMSD
Upvote 0
The M3 RWD is a great car! It's also a great value. If you are getting an additional discount for financing then it seems like the way to go. The sound system should be fine. If it's really a concern then you can get aftermarket upgrades. Streaming costs extra on all new Teslas. Some people stream to their phone and then use Bluetooth to connect to the car's sound system.

A great thing about the M3 RWD is you are getting the same computer and Autopilot as everyone else but you are paying less.

If you occasionally want to do a big trip with the entire family then you could probably rent a vehicle for that and still be way ahead of the game money-wise.

Tesla Model 3 RWD (LFP) Is Pure Magic In Our 10% EV Road Trip Challenge!

Upvote 0
… - although the MY (RWD) has everything I probably want (rather than need) with the extra space and higher seat position. …
Answer this question and you’ll have your answer; are the ‘wants’ worth the price difference to you?

The questions:
3. I just, as I was about to order, noticed that the Model 3 RWD long range is partial premium. The Model Y seems to be full premium and, again reading through what I can find, I'm not entirely clear on the difference on these later models. I can (just about) live with inferior sound system, although I love my music, but I saw some write-ups which suggested I couldn't stream which might be a deal breaker. Any thoughts or advice on the differences would be much appreciated as it may mean I need to revisit the Model Y.

Any help or support in the decision making would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
1&2. IMO, don’t get hung up on the battery chemistry. Practically speaking, it’s not going to significantly impact your day-to-day use. With a 25-mile commute, even NiCads would work. Stay away from alkaline though; pain to swap out.

3. I’m not an audiophile, so take this with a grain of salt…the only difference I really notice between my ‘20 Performance (premium) and ‘23 RWD (partial premium) is more base in the Performance. That difference would not be a major consideration to me; the partial premium audio is more than sufficient.

Upvote 0
I prefer my m3 with the lfp battery over my older one with the nca batteries. You can charge it to 100% all the time and when you do, regen isn't degraded like the old battery. It is a little slower though.

I really wanted a my but the poor visibility out of the back killed it for me. The visibility in the m3 is much better, imo.

Upvote 0