Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First bit of snow this morning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me thinks this is a case of a bad workman blaming his tools.
No, the car is terrible in the snow, I don't believe in the few situations to which I was referring, winter tyres would make any difference. My opinion and I have over 30 years of driving behind me to base this on.

The car -whichever variant, has an awful lot of torque immediately available on demand so slipping the wheels isn't difficult and the secret to winter driving is you the driver having some empathy and synergy with the car - clearly you have not, to drive better and safer I feel you should take some advanced driving tuition like joining the ADI.
wow, just wow, what are you smoking? You think I am dense on the old throttle control and complaining of wheel spin, the back end moving or something, really...

If you really want to try and drive an incredibly bad car in the snow then try a Porsche Boxster, fat tyres, a lot of power
Son, I've driven a lot of old school performance cars and having owned and driven a hi boost Turbo Capri back in the day, both with and without a LSD, if you are old enough to know, then you will know. I also own an E34 M5 so I think I might just know what I'm talking about, just a little and nether of these had winter tyres as it happens.

In my opinion, the Tesla is bad, disappointingly bad.

I'm flattered you called me "Son" for a man in his late 60s.
I do agree some cars are very difficult in the snow and i have always alternated between large luxury cars and sports cars. My last car prior to the Tesla was the Focus RS mk3, 4 wheel drive and 385BHP and that car with the same tyres as the Tesla drove better than i anticipated, so far this winter I haven't had any snow to drive on - well we did have an inch but it wasn't particularly an issue. I'm looking forward to some snow as i always take the car for a drive so i can get a feel in snow/ice before i attempt a proper journey.

My comment about the ADI was a suggestion not a sleight on you or your driving prowess, I don't know you and don't know your level of skill, some people may drive for 50 years and never develop a synergy with a car or be a good driver, its not about time of driving its about what you learn. My wife for instance hasn't a clue with a good driving style, cant park properly, reverse is a complete mystery and travelling as a passenger is uncomfortable as its either brake or accelerator pedal pressed - and i can never convince her there is another way.

Reactions: plisken
In addition to other measures, “Chill” mode on the accelerator makes it easier to control torque in slippery conditions.

I agree - Slip mode is counter-productive in snow. Any slippage between tire and roadway converts the snow beneath the tire into polished ice. Spin the tire, the ice will be lubricated with a thin layer of water.

Also, expecting summer tires to get you through winter is like expecting your pet cat to play “fetch” - that’s simply NOT what they do.

Both our S and 3 are AWD on all-season tires. One winter I had to travel snowy, hilly back roads in an RWD S 85 loaner in order to retrieve my wife’s 3 Stealth Performance from the Service Center. In Chill mode, with a feather touch on the accelerator, the loaner was a hero!

A bit of rear-end squirm warned when to moderate acceleration/deceleration. That car climbed hills where FWD cars were stuck at the bottom or at the side. I even climbed a hill that had defeated my SAAB 9-5 wagon in an earlier winter.

Reactions: Adopado and init6
Michelin Crossclimate 2 are the best all-season option available for the M3. Not going to be great in snow though compared to proper winter tyres.

Yes, they won't be as good as a full winter tyre in snow but testing appears to show that they are much nearer the winter in snow performance than they are to a standard tyre. Anyone coming from a standard tyre will be likely to see a big difference.

Reactions: init6