Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 9 in August will start rolling out full self-driving features!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rarely use nav, except road trips. How often do people really not know where they’re going when driving to work or home?

Using navigation in a familiar location is helpful when you have real-time traffic. I try to remember and check for the fastest route before starting for all but the shortest trip in any urban area.

I can definitely see the "drive to nav" feature eventually evolving into FSD. It seems to go with the "drive from point A to B" part of the FSD description. I suspect like it will start off pretty basic and get better with time. So maybe it will only do auto lane changes for highway exits at first but then later be able to do more complex nav directions like turning at an 4 way intersection. Once it is able to handle all nav directions, it will be a big part of FSD where the car will be able to take you from A to B.

Great first look.

Seems they’ve already broken it by taking away split screen from S/X owners, essentially dumbing down the UI to be more like the 3.

That’s not progress.

The dashcam miss reminds me of when Elon teased stop sign reaction back in late 2014 during the AP/D event. Here we are, 4 years later, and there’s no, ah, sign of it still.

So... some things have been moved around, we lose split screen, there are now, finally, Nav waypoints, and a new feature called route to Nav. Well, how else would it route? :).

Based upon this first look, I see exactly zero compelling reason to downgrade to v9. I’ll happily wait until v9.1 or v9.2 when there’s some new and compelling functionality.

Elon has allowed himself to be shut down concerning tweeting. 9 hardware might indeed be rolling out. Why do you believe its not?

The world is much too unforgiving to allow Elon to be himself. The shorters and FUDsters have impacted how he carries himself.....so.....going forward...how will we know if things such as this are happening or not?

Tesla doesn't tweet.
Franz doesn't tweet.
etc,
No one was tweeting updates and status except Elon. I strongly voted to leave Elon alone and let him continue tweeting....but.....

No more announcements.
No more free stuff.
No more Elon being himself.
No more anything unless it travels through boards of directors and gets all kinds of approval by everyone Tesla.

No one says he isn't allowed to tweet, just the weird stuff at 3 am.

And even if this means no more spontaneous announcements, I am still for him not tweeting. Let Tesla PR do the teasing, focus on running the company!

We really don't need all those promises. They actually have started to hurt the company more, than help it. So yea, let all of it go through PR, or the board of directors. Tesla builds great cars, that's why we like it, not because of Elon's twitter account.

First look at V9 from an alpha build:
First look at Tesla’s version 9 software update with new UI, features, and more

The only big new autopilot feature seems to be a "drive on nav" option in the autopilot setting. I am guessing this will be the highway transition and on-off exit feature where the car will try to follow your nav directions for you on the highway?

I still can't really believe it, but that would actually be really awesome!

If they implement what you speculate I will buy a new S and find a new home for my beloved AP1 Model S.

Elon has allowed himself to be shut down concerning tweeting. 9 hardware might indeed be rolling out. Why do you believe its not?

The world is much too unforgiving to allow Elon to be himself. The shorters and FUDsters have impacted how he carries himself.....so.....going forward...how will we know if things such as this are happening or not?

Tesla doesn't tweet.
Franz doesn't tweet.
etc,
No one was tweeting updates and status except Elon. I strongly voted to leave Elon alone and let him continue tweeting....but.....

No more announcements.
No more free stuff.
No more Elon being himself.
No more anything unless it travels through boards of directors and gets all kinds of approval by everyone Tesla.

Tesla has started tweeting which I was really surprised by. I'd never seen a Tesla tweet reposted on TMC, but it happened last week. That tweet was clarifying that only the P3D+ would get track mode.

Maybe the future will be something like this:

Elon: We're introducing dash cam features in 9.1, and it's going to be like Knight Rider where it tells a car prowler to piss off.

Tesla: We're not releasing dash cam features in 9.1, and we have no idea what Elon is smoking.

On a serious note I do think it's important for Tesla to have an official communications channel to it's customer. At this point Elon has lost so much credibility that we have no idea what to make of anything he says.

As a customer how do I know what features/dates are being taken seriously by Tesla, and what features/dates are just Elon's imagination? Like I love hearing about things like a snake charger, but I'm also a consumer that needs to make informed decisions.

There needs to be a better balance between keeping things fun (Elon), and practical grounding (Elon NOT tweeting funding is secured or calling someone a Pedo based on where they choose to live). Until Elon can get a grip on reality someone else will have to take over anything official.

Last edited:
I am literally sitting here with a 2 channel dashcam kit in my lap (Thinkware F800) and I am wondering whether I will mount it in my tesla I get this week. There's a lot of crap involved in mounting it with self gluing brackets and all that. Should I or should I not?

I am literally sitting here with a 2 channel dashcam kit in my lap (Thinkware F800) and I am wondering whether I will mount it in my tesla I get this week. There's a lot of crap involved in mounting it with self gluing brackets and all that. Should I or should I not?
You're still likely to get at least 6 months worth of use out of a standalone dashcam would be my bet, before there's a chance of being available in firmware.

Add your dash cam and enjoy it. You may very well be driving your next Tesla before some of the “Promised” features from Mr CEO come to fruition.

Hate to be the pessimist but way too many things have been promised that will either never happen or are just plain misrepresented in what we actually receive.

Meanwhile enjoy you “new” 30 year old Atari game as a consolation prize. I am SURE you will be happier with that than any meaningful drivers assistant updates/upgrades or promised features that seem to blow away with the wind. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Great first look.

Seems they’ve already broken it by taking away split screen from S/X owners, essentially dumbing down the UI to be more like the 3.

That’s not progress.

The dashcam miss reminds me of when Elon teased stop sign reaction back in late 2014 during the AP/D event. Here we are, 4 years later, and there’s no, ah, sign of it still.

So... some things have been moved around, we lose split screen, there are now, finally, Nav waypoints, and a new feature called route to Nav. Well, how else would it route? :).

Based upon this first look, I see exactly zero compelling reason to downgrade to v9. I’ll happily wait until v9.1 or v9.2 when there’s some new and compelling functionality.

*Drive to Nav. Under autopilot. That’s unlikely to be anything other than following navigation to drive autonomously on the freeway(including changing lanes and exiting, etc). If that’s not compelling functionality to you... I’m not sure what possibly could be.

Tesla has started tweeting which I was really surprised by. I'd never seen a Tesla tweet reposted on TMC, but it happened last week. That tweet was clarifying that only the P3D+ would get track mode.

Maybe the future will be something like this:

Elon: We're introducing dash cam features in 9.1, and it's going to be like Knight Rider where it tells a car prowler to piss off.

Tesla: We're not releasing dash cam features in 9.1, and we have no idea what Elon is smoking.

On a serious note I do think it's important for Tesla to have an official communications channel to it's customer. At this point Elon has lost so much credibility that we have no idea what to make of anything he says.

As a customer how do I know what features/dates are being taken seriously by Tesla, and what features/dates are just Elon's imagination? Like I love hearing about things like a snake charger, but I'm also a consumer that needs to make informed decisions.

There needs to be a better balance between keeping things fun (Elon), and practical grounding (Elon NOT tweeting funding is secured or calling someone a Pedo based on where they choose to live). Until Elon can get a grip on reality someone else will have to take over anything official.

I totally disagree.

Tesla wouldn't be where they are without Elon going against the grain. He was the same exact way with Paypal….except not a lot of people watched him. Tesla wouldn't be where it is without everything that Elon has contributed - the good and the bad.
Short Sellers want to see Elon be totally different than what he is....conform to the norm.

Elon....keep being yourself and don't conform to what ordinary people think is "usual" or "normal". I'm not looking for balance....I'm looking for success and its happening.
Keep dreaming Elon. Keep informing us of your dreams and hopes and wishes.

Everyone wants perfection and no mistakes. I don't. Baseball is much more succesful with people swining the bat and missing rather than to cut the number of swings down and have every swing be a hit.

Ask the owner of BYD why they didn't make it in the US. He specifically said....there can't be a new car manufacturer startup in the US without a leader with tremendous byte and grit.....someone who will not conform to normalcy and let it suck them up into red tape and politics.

I want Elons/Teslas success with mistakes and imperfections included. It works.

Last edited:
Do it.
Do not live your life waiting for Tesla to deliver.
Not only do you have no idea whether Tesla will deliver the feature, let alone when, but you also have no idea how good it would be compared dedicated dashcams.

Reactions: R.S and J1mbo
This is called alpha build. It is NOT necessary feature complete.

U all jump to conclusion like u see all the options.

Yes. I hate losing split screen. But wait until it is out before complaining

Not asking u to be patience but at least get the fact straight first
Here to break it to you but design decisions are many times long term. And in this case, due to horizontal screens in future S/X, I can see how this may be a thing so what you see is what you get. The changes of features will happen in the back end code to bring those other features.