Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use Auto Pilot all the time especially whenever I am on the freeway. I usually drive in the #1 lane or carpool lane when there is one. Driving close to the concrete median at 80 mph around a curve makes me a little nervous so I pay close attention but if I let AP do the driving it has never failed me. It does not lunge towards trucks but I have not noticed that it moves closer to the other side of the lane as it is claimed either. Only when the lane lines become vague or there is confusion about the lanes I take over. I love AP.

In 1+ years I've had mine drift towards a truck twice. Never towards a center divider.

Opposite experience here, and I've had 7.0 since day 0 (Oct 15 2015 @ 2am Pacific!) so how you have >1 year of AP is exceptional - unless you're an EAP participant? ;)

Veered toward trucks: 0 times
Veered toward center divider: almost every time I drive on 880 north in Oakland.

To be fair to AP, that Oakland section of 880 has been in construction forever, so it gets pretty narrown and lanes shift.
There's basically no room for any margin so the car gets easily confused.

In 1+ years I've had mine drift towards a truck twice. Never towards a center divider.

8.0 seems about 95% the same as 7.1. 5% worse, it seems a little more squirly in it's lane. No complaints about it.

I don't experience many of the things people here complain about either, so maybe it's a geographical location thing as you pointed out.
Agree with you 95% of the time and disagree with you 5% of the time but on this topic I agree with 100% :) :)

• Funny
Reactions: Max*
I use Auto Pilot all the time especially whenever I am on the freeway. I usually drive in the #1 lane or carpool lane when there is one. Driving close to the concrete median at 80 mph around a curve makes me a little nervous so I pay close attention but if I let AP do the driving it has never failed me. It does not lunge towards trucks but I have not noticed that it moves closer to the other side of the lane as it is claimed either. Only when the lane lines become vague or there is confusion about the lanes I take over. I love AP.
It only needs to fail you ONCE and then you'll be famous on this forum while we speculate whether AP was on or not but blaming you for not being attentive. :)

Opposite experience here, and I've had 7.0 since day 0 (Oct 15 2015 @ 2am Pacific!) so how you have >1 year of AP is exceptional - unless you're an EAP participant? ;)

Veered toward trucks: 0 times
Veered toward center divider: almost every time I drive on 880 north in Oakland.

To be fair to AP, that Oakland section of 880 has been in construction forever, so it gets pretty narrown and lanes shift.
There's basically no room for any margin so the car gets easily confused.
Hah, I meant I had my car for more than a year, but you're right, I've had AP for almost a year.

A bit OT but I think we would really benefit from splitting out the 8.0 discussions by topic. Right now this thread seems to be a confusing mess of
  • People trying to figure out the 8.0 rollout pattern / trying to get the update sooner
  • People complaining about the USB media issue
  • Various UI gripes like the nav stickiness
  • AP differences/improvements

It seems like each of those can sustain a thread and right now they're kind of trampling over each other.
Agree totally. But it is increasing the elasticity of my pea sized brain to figure out WTF everybody is talking about and try to keep it all straight! This is the first mega thread that I have actually slogged through. I am pretty much learning a lot. But steam is coming out of my ears after 100 pages with 1,267 messages left to go!:confused:

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex
As for the camera/nav thing, I've always used the "drag the icon to where I want it" method so I don't even notice the change.

Finally, an observation I haven't seen from anyone else – it's now possible to engage autopilot from a full stop, if hill hold is engaged instead of having your foot on the brake. By this I mean, when stopped at a stop sign or light behind another vehicle, I doubt it would work without a vehicle in front of you. In 7.1, if the brake was engaged at all, including with hill hold, AP wouldn't engage.
Not my car with 7.1. I engaged full AP all the time when brake hold was on. Never a hitch.

Also, the new charge indicator is stupid. People are going to think their packs actually "fills up" like that. Is it really necessary to defy reality? What was wrong with the old indication? It's like change for change's sake instead of a usability improvement.
I think the new charge indicator is childish looking. But what would be really cool is if it showed which cells were actually being charged. I could geek out on that for a while (before getting bored).

That's what the arrows are for. You can move it by clicking the arrows in 10% increments.

Unless you're one of those who really want to charge to 83.43154674893534578493526893%, the arrows are a good addition letting you hit exactly 80% or exactly 90%.

I prefer Agent 86 myself. But if you like Agent 83 and almost a half, knock yourself out! :)

(How long before someone gets the reference? Don't cheat and search the Internet folks!)