Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure 2.12.45 -> 2.12.126 doesn't update anything with the chargers, so, if you already have .45 you're not going to hurt anything. Worst case, if your charger didn't take the update before it'll try to redeploy to it when it sees it isn't up to date.

Well, they were going to just wait to fix my rear door handle at my next tire rotation. Maybe I'll just go in early. :)

I'm pretty sure 2.12.45 -> 2.12.126 doesn't update anything with the chargers, so, if you already have .45 you're not going to hurt anything. Worst case, if your charger didn't take the update before it'll try to redeploy to it when it sees it isn't up to date.

Can one of you guys that normally charges at 80A and is not having the problem try something for me - unplug and set your car to charge at 64A and then plug it in and see if it properly ramps up to 64A or if it stops at 32A.

Mike

Last edited:
WK057, I'll be honest, I didn't notice if dual chargers were working properly on the previous release, since my cars charge at night, I rarely look at them while they are charging. I only looked today because we're getting ready for a long trip and wanted to check everything out after hearing about this problem I live 150 miles from the "local" service center, even though we have a ranger around town, I hope they can reflash it OTA.
BTW- I really enjoy reading about all the things you've done with the cars, center console and IC. Even though I'm an EE and still actually do EE things after 34 years since I graduated, I wish I had half the skills you do in this area. I'm also very impressed with your solar installation. Inspiring to say the least. Keep up the work. and thanks for your contributions to the community.

Curious - is everyone with dual chargers having the problem or is it just a few of us?

Dual charges with HPWC all set to 80Amps. Charging at my usual 79A. It does seem to take a bit longer to ramp up past 40 now tho. But it does. Tested at about 2 minutes to get up to full speed
image.png
image.png
image.png

Last edited:
I'm on 2.12.126 now and currently charging at 80A and 56 Amps just fine. That is on a Sig P85 with dual chargers.

I saw reports elsewhere that some started having the charging issue about 10 days ago with an earlier release. One person seems to have discovered that if he plugs in to his HPWC with the car set to anything above 70A everything works as expected - it ramps up to the setting and then he can change it to anything he wants and it charges as expected.

If he plugs in with the car set to say 50A then he also gets the "half rate" charging error no matter what setting he chooses. I'm dip switch limited to 64A due to being on an 80A circuit so I can't easily test this theory.

I saw reports elsewhere that some started having the charging issue about 10 days ago with an earlier release. One person seems to have discovered that if he plugs in to his HPWC with the car set to anything above 70A everything works as expected - it ramps up to the setting and then he can change it to anything he wants and it charges as expected.

If he plugs in with the car set to say 50A then he also gets the "half rate" charging error no matter what setting he chooses. I'm dip switch limited to 64A due to being on an 80A circuit so I can't easily test this theory.

I can charge at 80 Amps, but normally dial it back to 56 Amps to reduce resistive heating by 50%. Both charge rates work fine on my 3.5 year old, Sig P85 with 2.12.126 installed.

That seems to be what happens for me as well. If I start the charge session at 70 or more amps, it will work fine. I can adjust the amps back down to 56 or whatever else and it's still fine. But if I start the session between 41 and about 65 amps it will only charge at half the amps until I adjust it to 70+.

That isn't my situation. I have always kept my home setting at 80A, and my HPWC is on a 100A-circuit with dip switches for 80A. When I manually charge, numbers now climb to only 40 and vacillate between 39-40 for the couple minutes I sat and watched both of my tests after your request yesterday (they could have perhaps gone up later if I waited more), whereas in the past, the numbers always kept climbing beyond 40 to at least 79 on my home HPWC and the one at the SC.

I'll post back when I hear more from my SC.

Yes - started while charging. I thought about stopping the charge before starting the update but then thought of all the people who schedule their charging for the middle of the night and also schedule their updates for the middle of the night and thought "...I can't be the first one who started an update while charging...".

But I agree with your assessment and have sent an email to [email protected] describing my issue with the hope they will either send a remote charging system reset or restage the update to install again.

Mike

I did the exact same thing and have the same problem. But it will charge at 40 amps if I set the max to 40.

I kept wanting to post these snapshots of the new text for Autosteer speed-limiting on lower category roads, now finally getting around to it.

For background, when driving on roads that are "restricted" by Tesla's definition (e.g. roads that have undivided lanes, or residential roads), using Autosteer limits the speed to 5 mph over the speed limit even if TACC is set to a higher speed.

In previous versions, the text was "Autosteer is restricted on this road; speed will be limited". It nows reflects the actual speed that Autosteer is limited to:

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

I've usually been keeping my car at 40 amps on my 100/80 amp HPWC - but switched it this morning back to 80 to see about the slow ramp up being reported here. It definitely ramps to 40 amps slower than before - and then sits a bit longer at 40 amps before ramping up to 80 amps. But for me, it didn't sit at 40 amps for a couple of minutes. Maybe - 20-30 seconds - before making its way up to 80.

Sorry, Mike. If I had seen this before testing last night I would have tested exactly this. I did not realize 70 Amps was a significant threshold.

I've usually been keeping my car at 40 amps on my 100/80 amp HPWC - but switched it this morning back to 80 to see about the slow ramp up being reported here. It definitely ramps to 40 amps slower than before - and then sits a bit longer at 40 amps before ramping up to 80 amps. But for me, it didn't sit at 40 amps for a couple of minutes. Maybe - 20-30 seconds - before making its way up to 80.

If your car is not yet fully charged, and you are able to test this, I think what NOLA_Mike would like to see you test would be:

--Stop your charge.
--Unplug
--Set the charge rate to 64 Amps
--Plug In and Start Charge
--Note charge rate
--Report back

I would do this, and will later if it still needs to be done, but my wife has the car at work now. When I tested things last night I did not realize that there was a known issue with a threshold above and below 70 amps, and I had my charge rate set above that, so didn't actually manage to test what we're now interested in testing.

Thanks!

I kept wanting to post these snapshots of the new text for Autosteer speed-limiting on lower category roads, now finally getting around to it.
I meant to post that as well. New for me in 126 as well.

Also noticed that either the map update or 126 has changed the navigation arrows on the instrument cluster from yellow/orange to blue.

Do you have a screenshot of that? They've always been white-on-blue for me.
You're talking about the 17" (I presume). That remains white-outlined-in-blue (I think, I'll check tonite) in 126-with-new-maps.

I'm talking about the instrument cluster. Mine is now blue instead of the yellow/orange shown in the (from the web) image below:

IMG_4306-e1406339678562.jpg

http://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/IMG_4306-e1406339678562.jpg

It looks more like this now:
NavMockupUgly.png

I'm not sure which I like better, but it's definitely different from what I've driven with the last 3+ years.