Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm actually not against an occasional nag, especially if Tesla could fix the "hands on the wheel" detection.

Couple of suggestions though: make the sound optional for the first nag and flash the IC screen instead. Also it'd be nice to disable sounds for autopilot engaging and disengaging.

Yes, I know I said I was out. But this point needs to be made or I won't be able to enjoy this glass of port. :) And pffffyt at your critique of the analogy. :) Rarely is an analogy is perfect (by definition, an analogy is partially similar to what it is being compared against, for the purpose of clarity - obviously it was clear, you got my point).

Hey Bonnie, quick request: can you please move the posts between yourself and Jason (and others on the subject of whether restricting to 45 mph is a good move from Tesla or not) to another thread? Thanks!

PS: I've been upgraded to 2.9.40 and have not seen the warning message (at least not yet) :biggrin:

Dirk, I appreciate that, and agree that everybody has the right to decide what they feel strongly about, and to act on the basis of those feelings. Problem for Tesla is that the union of all of those customer likes/dislikes is a vast, sometimes contradictory set of feelings. So, they cannot possibly please everybody. I think what we are dealing with here is their (and our) learning experience regarding the software-based "evolving" car. Sure, other makers update software, but they don't - for better or worse - often update major features, performance, or UI via software. That is an ambitious undertaking, and we are seeing the fallout - both good and bad. Personally, I'm along for the journey, taking the good with the bad, and so far net-net have a better car each year. For those who feel they've reached a pinnacle on a certain release, I can appreciate the desire to stay there... however it will be increasingly difficult for Tesla to service them, and certain service needs may necessitate an update at some point to some features they do not like. I see no way around that.
tomas, thanks for a well argued, thoughtful post.
I think you make a very strong point. Yes, this is daunting for Tesla. The question I'd like to post as a follow up is... "now that we all see this, what's the best way forward". Here are some ideas

#1: push forward and force people to be on the latest firmware
#2: allow people to stop updating
#3: be more thoughtful when taking things away and make more of these things optional

#1 makes things much easier for Tesla, but will get a few people very upset; yes, Tesla is the first car maker with this model of adding major new features (YAY!!!) via software updates, and of taking things away (BUHHHH!!!!!) via software updates. This isn't something that has been done and tested in the market yet. There's a massive risk in this approach that you will eventually turn a certain share (maybe even a large share?) of your early customers against you
#2 makes things very complicated for Tesla. Especially when trying to do repairs and address service issues. I don't buy into the whole "we need to reinstall the firmware because you got a new folding mirror and we can only reinstall the latest version" - that's not credible. But what is credible is that they keep innovating, keep improving components (like the inverter, like the battery thermal management) and that it may not be possible after certain service procedures to keep you on the same firmware because that older firmware may not support the latest rev of your hardware
#3 is interesting - it could lead to options hell: there are 571 different options on the settings page! Which leads to validation hell. But on the flipside this may mean that Tesla could take a more deliberate approach. Yes, you want to redesign your UI (why? seriously, WHY?) - but when you do so, don't take information away that used to be there. Don't put design over functionality. Take the feedback you get during the beta test more seriously.

OK, this was more written from the point of view of /MY/ concern than that of green1 and wk059 - but even for their situation it applies to some degrees. Be more deliberate in what you enable (was it smart to allow autosteer on all roads? Come on, you KNEW that people wouldn't not turn it on just because you said so in the warning page... be real). And once it has been enabled, be very, very deliberate in what you take away. And expect backlash. And maybe communicate with a plan how you'll get back to what may be reasonable use (I think it was wk059 who talked about driving with autosteer on in busy two lane traffic BECAUSE it acts as additional safety net. So not with hands off the wheel but very much with hands on the wheel. So may the software could detect that and allow itself to be used as additional safety tool.

Ok, I'm rambling more than I wanted. It's sometimes really hard to make a concise point because this is complicated. What I'm trying to say is that what they are doing right now which is "none of the above" plus "no communication of what the goal is" is not helpful. And it would be better if they picked a path, clearly communicated it and tried to respond to their customers' concerns. I'd love to have a conversation with Tesla about what it would take for me to say "yep, I'll update to v7.2".

- - - Updated - - -

Just got my car back from the service center. Here are the release notes for 2.9.40 - notice the new LAUNCH MODE!!! :biggrin:
You haven't had ludicrous added, have you? This is for a regular P85D?
Still not enough to make me want to switch to v7, but at least something to hopefully add a different topic to this thread :)

Yes, I know I said I was out. But this point needs to be made or I won't be able to enjoy this glass of port. :) And pffffyt at your critique of the analogy. :) Rarely is an analogy is perfect (by definition, an analogy is partially similar to what it is being compared against, for the purpose of clarity - obviously it was clear, you got my point).

YOU were the one who defended your video by saying they needed to put restrictions IN and you only did it to help Tesla. Now you're arguing that restrictions shouldn't have been put in as a result of videos like yours. Okay.

If they'd done it by using the seat sensor, as you keep maintaining was the best way, then you know there would be people here screaming that functionality had been removed, because they changed the product. And let's not even go to the scenario where someone would just wrap the seatbelt around a 40#bag of dogfood and show how it could be done anyway. (And do we know that the seat sensor isn't also employed?)

Again, you argued exactly FOR this after some of us had a problem with that video, saying you were only pushing Tesla into doing what should have been done to begin with. So they did it. Yay.

I won't bother quoting myself from this thread and others where Ive been very clear on my stance regarding the video I made.

Let's just acknowledge that Tesla's new restrictions will do jack in preventing the exact same video from being made, nor will it to jack about preventing the idiots who made a similar one on a public freeway at freeway speeds from doing the same.

So, let's just stop trying to shift the topic to that when it's not even related because THEY DIDN'T EVEN ADDRESS THAT ISSUE.

It seems like there may be something missing... maybe it's the ludicrous upgrade after all?

We were posting at the same time. I guess the cat is out of the bag, plus I saw Marc posted this in another thread, with a more complete description, so...

I think it is pretty apparent that Marc was following the instructions correctly. So two possibilities that come to mind as to why Launch Control did not work are either the release notes were incorrectly included in this firmware release version, while Launch Control was not, or the instructions were not written correctly. It's a close call between which of those two is more likely. I'm going to lean towards the first. It could be something else, of course. I'm just tossing out possibilities.

We were posting at the same time. I guess the cat is out of the bag, plus I saw Marc posted this in another thread, with a more complete description, so...

I think it is pretty apparent that Marc was following the instructions correctly. So two possibilities that come to mind as to why Launch Control did not work are either the release notes were incorrectly included in this firmware release version, while Launch Control was not, or the instructions were not written correctly. It's a close call between which of those two is more likely. I'm going to lean towards the first. It could be something else, of course. I'm just tossing out possibilities.
Given the track record of "rather lacking" release notes I find it somewhat unlikely that something made it into the release notes and not into the firmware itself. Given the complexity of the process, it's indeed possibly that something went wrong there (but I really think MarkG did exactly what they said he should do). Which is why I'm thinking that the mistake was to include this in the release notes of ALL cars (or maybe all P85Ds, we don't know), when it's just for people with ludicrous mode.
But yes, just like you, I'm just guessing and trying to make the observations fit into some model or explanation.

Let's just acknowledge that Tesla's new restrictions will do jack in preventing the exact same video from being made, nor will it to jack about preventing the idiots who made a similar one on a public freeway at freeway speeds from doing the same.

So, let's just stop trying to shift the topic to that when it's not even related because THEY DIDN'T EVEN ADDRESS THAT ISSUE.
1. Possibly they did...how would you know unless you updated the software and tried it?
2. Yet. Then someone will start yelling that they took a favorite feature away.

If a company says something is beta and then before it is finalized they refine a feature to limit its scope I see how that's 'taking something away' but it also shouldn't be a shock. Maybe they'll add it back after it is refined some more. If you want a car that never changes it is pretty clear at this point that a Tesla is not that car.

Last edited:
I don't see an entry from you in the firmware tracker... are you on 2.9.40? What did you do differently from MarkG?

Yes it is 2.9.40. I'm not sure what he is doing differently. I just press the brake firmly. While holding brake press accelerator to floor and let off. The notification pops up. Then press accelerator to floor again and hold it. When brake is released car launches.

You can only hold it the four seconds. It is a fairly significant torque build up before launch. No way to measure but I suspect a couple tenths improvement 0-60.

Yes it is 2.9.40. I'm not sure what he is doing differently. I just press the brake firmly. While holding brake press accelerator to floor and let off. The notification pops up. Then press accelerator to floor again and hold it. When brake is released car launches.

You can only hold it the four seconds. It is a fairly significant torque build up before launch. No way to measure but I suspect a couple tenths improvement 0-60.
So do you get the "both pedals pressed" warning that he gets?