Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
c) the roll-out was nowhere near as complete as Elon's tweets made it sound it would be and a lot of people are still involuntarily on v6.2

If the roll-out wasn't to all owners, wouldn't we see a lot of whining/complaining posts from owners who didn't receive the update? (I'm talking about new whining/complaining posts created since the roll-out started.) I don't think I've seen anybody complain that they are still waiting for it...but I haven't read every thread.

a) a ton of people who reported 6.2 haven't bothered to report that they got v7
b) a ton of people were offered v7 but just like me declined and stayed on v6.2
c) the roll-out was nowhere near as complete as Elon's tweets made it sound it would be and a lot of people are still involuntarily on v6.2

I'm essentially B, but I got the notice on the first day and added receipt of it to the firmware tracker.

I would think the software can judge lanes and intent with the position of the steering wheel. (I'm in the middle lane, and I'm turning to follow the lane markings.) Add the sensor readings of the other vehicles, in my lane or adjacent lanes... With this information it should know the car ahead, but in an adjacent lane, is exactly that and map it accordingly and not slow down. They're probably working on this logic.
The superfluous slowing I reported can occur when our car is steering straight and the leading car in an adjacent lane is in a curve that's ahead.

I'm essentially B, but I got the notice on the first day and added receipt of it to the firmware tracker.

I'm A since I haven't installed my update, I haven't reported it.

I'm open to be convinced otherwise, but I think logging it in the FW tracker should be for installing it, not just receiving the download. I received the download, but I will neither install, nor report on the tracker that I have it (partly also because I don't know what build # is pending to be installed).

I'm open to be convinced otherwise, but I think logging it in the FW tracker should be for installing it, not just receiving the download. I received the download, but I will neither install, nor report on the tracker that I have it (partly also because I don't know what build # is pending to be installed).

That's a point I was wondering about when I read Cyclone's post...if you received a download, but haven't installed it, how would you know what to report in the tracker?

Mind you, there *should* be a way to know what a pending software update's build number would be (and see its release notes, etc.), but well...there isn't right now and we've discussed that already.

I'm A because the a firmware tracker isn't enough of a tracker to justify signing up for.

If it included reporting problems with the car, and occasional milage checkin's then I could see it being worthwhile.

I'm definitely in agreement that we should be able to see the firmware version and the release notes BEFORE installing a firmware update. Just like pretty much every other update I've ever installed on other devices.

I'm an A. When a release has not been distributed broadly, there's just a ton of whining on this forum. All the noise I've seen is from people who got it but don't want it. Not from people who didn't get it.

PS, while I'm an advocate of the release tracker, and appreciate the people who did it, I predict it will atrophy release-by-release until it is abandoned. I think most of the world shares this with me: when I've got to look up or remember a password/pin for a seldom-used site that is not mission critical... I move on.

PS, while I'm an advocate of the release tracker, and appreciate the people who did it, I predict it will atrophy release-by-release until it is abandoned. I think most of the world shares this with me: when I've got to look up or remember a password/pin for a seldom-used site that is not mission critical... I move on.

And if it were completely void of any security or user authentication, I'm guessing you'd probably slam it for that as well?

I don't think anyone claimed it was "mission critical" either. It's just interesting and fun for the community. But by your definition, any website that you use seldom enough to need a login reminder is not worthy of your time. Got it.

And if it were completely void of any security or user authentication, I'm guessing you'd probably slam it for that as well?

I don't think anyone claimed it was "mission critical" either. It's just interesting and fun for the community. But by your definition, any website that you use seldom enough to need a login reminder is not worthy of your time. Got it.

Hank, I'm not slamming it, I think it is very useful. I just predict it will atrophy. When we get to 7.1, you can tell me: what % of 6.2 people registered 7.0? 7.1? vs. new ones? It's a site for data, we'll see what the data says.

PS, if I'm wrong and it thrives over the coming major releases, Hank is entitled to one huge, public "I told you so!".

Last edited:
I'm A because the a firmware tracker isn't enough of a tracker to justify signing up for.

If it included reporting problems with the car, and occasional milage checkin's then I could see it being worthwhile.

Worthwhile?

The amount of time it takes is completely trivial. The community is attempting to gather data. You are part of the community, and are benefiting from the gathering of that data. No one is asking for your first born child. I think it probably takes under a minute to get started the first time, and then under twenty seconds to enter an update when you receive one. That really doesn't seem like a heck of a lot of commitment to me. Luckily it seems the hundreds of other people willing to provide updates agree.

Thanks again to Hank for all the time he has devoted to this, and to Dirk for the idea.

I'm not opposed to it being removed. I even put a note on it to contact you when I install to get the actual build number applied correctly, but I did get the notice to install shortly after midnight on launch day, so it's like 2.7.56 waiting. As for why I added my entry...
When a release has not been distributed broadly, there's just a ton of whining on this forum. All the noise I've seen is from people who got it but don't want it. Not from people who didn't get it.

When I added my entry, very few classics were reporting getting v7.

Has anyone had their music skip/stutter since upgrading to 7.0? I've had it happen with multiple sources of audio, making me think its a general issue. Also, restarting screens doesn't seem to really help, at least not long term.

Worthwhile?

The amount of time it takes is completely trivial. The community is attempting to gather data. You are part of the community, and are benefiting from the gathering of that data. No one is asking for your first born child. I think it probably takes under a minute to get started the first time, and then under twenty seconds to enter an update when you receive one. That really doesn't seem like a heck of a lot of commitment to me. Luckily it seems the hundreds of other people willing to provide updates agree.

Thanks again to Hank for all the time he has devoted to this, and to Dirk for the idea.

I am an active member on this forum and I love data. I love contributing it and I love consuming it. But I actually stopped at the step where it required a signup ... just an extra step that would dissuade a user from logging the updates.

I am an active member on this forum and I love data. I love contributing it and I love consuming it. But I actually stopped at the step where it required a signup ... just an extra step that would dissuade a user from logging the updates.

Why would the fact that you needed to create an account to log the information prevent you from contributing? How could the data be collected and have any validity if it wasn't assigned to individuals? I don't even recall what information was required to create an account, but it struck me as completely innocuous.

Why would the fact that you needed to create an account to log the information prevent you from contributing? How could the data be collected and have any validity if it wasn't assigned to individuals? I don't even recall what information was required to create an account, but it struck me as completely innocuous.

Username. That's about it. It sends you a PM with a temporary pin, and you can set any pin you want. I chose something easy to remember, but different than any other of my pins. I'm not afraid of my data getting stolen, lol.

I've been building and running large, public, user data-driven websites since 1998... And I know with 100% certainty, if we had a firmware data collector that didn't require any signup or authentication, it would be quickly overrun with junk data rendering it entirely useless.

All the firmware tracker asks for is your TMC handle and a PIN to sign up. That's it. Not even your name or email address or password. If you need a PIN reminder, it sends you a PM on TMC, so it's not like you need to worry about getting spam to your email address.

Except for using something like Touch ID on iOS, I really don't know how I could have made it any easier to participate. But I'm open to ideas if that will get more people to join in.

Maybe I should make the firmware tracker reports only available to people to sign up and contribute?

I've been building and running large, public, user data-driven websites since 1998... And I know with 100% certainty, if we had a firmware data collector that didn't require any signup or authentication, it would be quickly overrun with junk data rendering it entirely useless.

All the firmware tracker asks for is your TMC handle and a PIN to sign up. That's it. Not even your name or email address or password. If you need a PIN reminder, it sends you a PM on TMC, so it's not like you need to worry about getting spam to your email address.

Except for using something like Touch ID on iOS, I really don't know how I could have made it any easier to participate. But I'm open to ideas if that will get more people to join in.

Maybe I should make the firmware tracker reports only available to people to sign up and contribute?

Agree with HLR re authentication (my area of expertise) but with permission and collaboration with TMC couldn't you use their behind the scenes auth token or maybe have them run it? I think that would make it easier and would likely improve participation.

Agree with HLR re authentication (my area of expertise) but with permission and collaboration with TMC couldn't you use their behind the scenes auth token or maybe have them run it? I think that would make it easier and would likely improve participation.

A collaboration would work -- TMC wouldn't have to run it -- all I'd need is a subdomain on teslamotorsclub.com pointing to my server in order to access the vBulletin userid cookie and authenticate people that way (like tracker.teslamotorsclub.com) . But if I ran TMC, I probably wouldn't allow it.

The signup on EV-FW.com is already simple and nearly painless, and over 700 people have already signed up (over 140 new people since V7 was released), I don't think having it on a TMC domain to run it would significantly change overall participation.