Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the lock/park discussion... Does the park button on the selector stalk still present the door handles? This I would like to disable. Quite often I was to put the parking brake on, without the doors obviously becoming unlocked.

Ideally, the parking stalk would get the behavior of a toggle to lock/unlock the doors (like the button on the screen). Currently, it can only unlock. Once we have it in place as a toggle, I would say that the first press when in a gear NOT include activation of this toggle, but instead to only switch into park. Thus, from R-N-D, the first press puts you in park and then presses toggle between unlock/lock.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it still presents the handles, but presumably you're unlocking the car to let someone in from the outside, so you'd need the handles. You can open the door normally from the inside whether is is "locked" or not.

A few firmware versions ago, they changed this a bit. I have found if I stop in my driveway to let my wife out, then pull the few feet in to my garage, when I press Park in the garage, the brake comes on, but the handles don't extend.

I wish that the car would never present the handle when I go in to park because usually it means I and any passengers are getting out. If I want the handles, let me do it with a second tap on the Park button. And while we're at it, I wish when I approach the car, only the driver's handle extends.

We are of the same opinion.

Ideally, the parking stalk would get the behavior of a toggle to lock/unlock the doors (like the button on the screen). Currently, it can only unlock. Once we have it in place as a toggle, I would say that the first press when in a gear NOT include activation of this toggle, but instead to only switch into park. Thus, from R-N-D, the first press puts you in park and then presses toggle between unlock/lock.

Isn't it more straightforward to just use the button on the screen? I say just get rid of the old going into park extends the handles altogether.

Interestingly, I tried hitting the unlock button while driving down the freeway today. Lo and behold, the handles extended. That's perfect for picking up passengers at 60 MPH!

Order of operations:

1. Fill plastic bags with oil.
2. Enter vehicle.
3. Have assistant insert bag ends into door handles while extended.
4. Wait for door handles to retract and trap oil bags.
5. Get on the highway, be James Bond.

Isn't it more straightforward to just use the button on the screen? I say just get rid of the old going into park extends the handles altogether.

Agreed. I've always thought that going into park was a subotimal way of extending the handles...and there are plenty of times where I'd rather not have the handles extend when I stop and park.

It's a few lines of code. Having it in both places shouldn't be a problem. I would live with it if its only on the screen, but it's more "in line" with my mental model on the stalk as I would (almost) always put the car in park to allow someone to step in, but I could have other reasons to put the car in park. I would also want that if the car is unlocked, but the handles retracted because of length of time sitting, that the passenger walking up could press on the handle to extend and then open the door. If, however, I had put the car into park and didn't press a second time for unlock, I would NOT want the car to unlock if someone pressed on the handle. There are scenarios where I wouldn't want someone to be able to just walk up to the car and unlock it.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I've always thought that going into park was a subotimal way of extending the handles...and there are plenty of times where I'd rather not have the handles extend when I stop and park.

I'm just saying I agree with you and Greg that the door handles shouldn't unlock and extend just b/c I put the car in park. However, once I'm in park, it would be nice if the park selector button would toggle unlock/lock.

Just to add some positivity to this thread...

Non-AP car and I'm really digging 7.0. Much cleaner design, much faster UI response time. Yes, there are some minor usability things here and there with the layout, specifically with the HUD, but I'd imagine I'll either get used to it or they'll clean it up in 7.1.

Overall experience is positive. The UI performance is just a big jump. Probably 150-200ms on taps, moving windows is completely fluid instead of jumpy, etc.

After living with the 7.0 UI for a few days, I can say that I have adapted to the changes, and I like the new interface. That said, the graphics and layout can be improved. Some of the graphical elements are inconsistent, and I agree with the comments about the battery icon and the odometer swapping positions on the instrument cluster display, but again, I have adapted. The lock/unlock function on the 17" is an improvement.

Yes, this! The park should be for engaging the parking brake, not presenting the handles. This is what I want… Then the lock/unlock presents the handles...

Seriously, I find myself sometimes in areas when I want to pull-up and park, but do not want the door handles presenting.

You like the design, but not the functionality of the driver display?

Yes! Just add more info, maybe in the upper corners of the screen, and I'm good with it.

Climate control works much better too.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, this! The park should be for engaging the parking brake, not presenting the handles. This is what I want… Then the lock/unlock presents the handles...

Seriously, I find myself sometimes in areas when I want to pull-up and park, but do not want the door handles presenting.

Maybe have an option called "Auto-Door Unlock" to accompany "Auto Door Lock" option. I for one like the auto unlock, but it could save a lot of wear and tear on the door handle motors to have an option for it.

It seems everyone has forgotten, or didn't know, that you can do this when parked by simply pressing the Park button (even if the car is already in Park). Not sure why you'd want to do it when the car is in Drive or Reverse, but maybe somebody does. I find hitting the Park button a lot quicker and more intuitive than pecking at a tiny screen icon.

Sometimes it is two quick taps on the park button for me.

But I agree - I see no need for this on the big screen unless there is some need to open or close while driving down the road.

Seems like whomever is designing the screen interface does not drive an MS. Or they don't talk to the folks designing the logic behind the tactile controls.

I like the new lock/unlock function on the center display, and so does my spouse. A nice alternative to putting the car in park, and clearly more obvious for new owners. I have spoken to a number of new owners who were puzzled by the lack of a lock/unlock function from inside the car, and did not know that the handles presented when the the driver put the car in Park.

It seems everyone has forgotten, or didn't know, that you can do this when parked by simply pressing the Park button (even if the car is already in Park). Not sure why you'd want to do it when the car is in Drive or Reverse, but maybe somebody does. I find hitting the Park button a lot quicker and more intuitive than pecking at a tiny screen icon.

It seems to not work if you've been sitting there for a while. I've had many occasions where I tap "park" after sitting in a parking lot for 10 minutes and it didn't do anything. I then go into the menus and open the locks.

It seems to not work if you've been sitting there for a while. I've had many occasions where I tap "park" after sitting in a parking lot for 10 minutes and it didn't do anything. I then go into the menus and open the locks.

Interesting. Way back, it used to be you'd have to flick it in to Drive then back to Park to get the door to unlock and have the handles extend. Then a firmware update made it so you simply had to tap Park (even if already in Park) and the handles would come out. It works every time for me, however, I don't know if I've tried after sitting for some time. I wonder what the logic is with disabling it after a period of time?

The car already knows when it is pointing East west... In the middle of the day the two that have the appropriate pressure change while parked are on the sunny side.
The car also knows slope of road or using changes while driving it might be able to figure out front from back.

However I do agree that an unordered list would still be useful.

It can also capture measurements while breaking or turning to determine positions... So many possibilities!

Please, please send your detailed concerns to [email protected] so they reach the right people.

Response:
-----------------------------------------------------

Hello,

You have reached an address that is no longer monitored.
If you have taken delivery of your vehicle, please email [email protected].
If you have questions regarding your reservation or existing order, contact [email protected].
-----------------------------------------------------

So apparently that's dead, and there's no replacement email address that I can spot on Tesla's website. The service center suggested I try the "submit a question or comment" section at the bottom of the Contacts page.