Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing v7.0 goes out w/o AP and a subsequent update will turn on AP?

I just accidentally clicked the thread title and saw the first page and my "prediction" there. Sounds like this happened with the X! Now let's hope it doesn't happen to the S. I'd rather get AP under 6.2 then go to 7 if they have to split them up (not that it would matter on my "Classic").

I just accidentally clicked the thread title and saw the first page and my "prediction" there. Sounds like this happened with the X! Now let's hope it doesn't happen to the S. I'd rather get AP under 6.2 then go to 7 if they have to split them up (not that it would matter on my "Classic").

Those founders' card are almost definitely running an "oh crap put something on this!" special build.

Looks from that last video that the ODO information may have been moved to the bottom of the circular gauge.

Untitled-1.jpg

Sweet! But what's the car icon still doing there?

Everyone seeems to ridicule the toy car...but it skeuomorphically shows a lot of information: You get brake light status, turn signal status, headlight status, it shows your white reverse lights as another visual indication that you're in reverse (other than just showing a highlighted "R")...with the right hardware (or smart analysis of the backup camera) it could even show you if your brake lights are out (and which ones are out).

Think for a moment about just the brake light indication. If a toy car weren't used and instead Tesla just put a red indicator for when brake lights are applied, imagine the confusion among new drivers or people who don't normally drive the car. To most, a red light means something bad, so when it goes off they'd get alarmed. Illuminating the brake lights on the toy car immediately communicates what's happening without confusion.

The toy car is ridiculed, but it's actually a really useful graphic, and if you've ever taken a human factors course, is *not* bad design.

Todd, the toy car is ridiculed yes, but this recent screenshot is a much more streamlined implementation of it. My hope is this is what we see when Autopilot is not engaged. I would also hope the other bits of info we have today in 6.2 remain. They don't take that much space and surely they could easily remain tucked away at the bottom like they are now.

Todd, the toy car is ridiculed yes, but this recent screenshot is a much more streamlined implementation of it. My hope is this is what we see when Autopilot is not engaged. I would also hope the other bits of info we have today in 6.2 remain. They don't take that much space and surely they could easily remain tucked away at the bottom like they are now.

Completely agree with you.

The most important reason they have the toy car is to get the driver comfortable with driver assistance functionality. The driver needs to know what the car knows, particularly important to gauge when the car might not have enough information Requiring the driver to take back control.

The most important reason they have the toy car is to get the driver comfortable with driver assistance functionality. The driver needs to know what the car knows, particularly important to gauge when the car might not have enough information Requiring the driver to take back control.

Totally agree with you on the purpose of the car image. It is a confidence builder for the car to visually demonstrate that it is aware of everything that the driver sees. But I expect the car to raise an alert (aka, the nag) when it does not have enough information to manage on its own. I wouldn't want to depend on the driver figuring that out from monitoring the display. :crying:

Precisely. I've wanted this with TACC as well. I don't care what the naysayers say, I am very much looking forward to v7's UI. I would much rather trade a few pieces of unimportant data (that my phone can provide or the other apps can provide) in exchange for more important information for my driving.

Think for a moment about just the brake light indication. If a toy car weren't used and instead Tesla just put a red indicator for when brake lights are applied, imagine the confusion among new drivers or people who don't normally drive the car. To most, a red light means something bad, so when it goes off they'd get alarmed. Illuminating the brake lights on the toy car immediately communicates what's happening without confusion.

If I want to see the feedback of my brake lights or headlights, I should just be able to look at:

a) About my Tesla screen
b) Controls screen
c) Charging screen

Having the toy car on the dash is redundant, IMO. I would rather see the range display front and center where it belongs. Nevertheless, these latest images show a marked improvement over what we saw in the first beta.

Nevertheless, these latest images show a marked improvement over what we saw in the first beta.

Yes, I'm really happy to see a useful power meter. The one with the first tick at 75kW would have been useless. Loss of the temp, date, time, and odometer was also odd, but it looks like they might still be there. Never been nervous about a software update before, but the original leaks had me very worried. These new ones have calmed me down. I can be happy about this update if it looks like the latest images. The new graphics are a personal aesthetic choice, but I think they look sharp. The loss of super useful info is what got me, but hopefully it's just a bit of panic that will turn out to be unwarranted.